TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Omaha Beach

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Omaha Beach
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-29-2022 03:49 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just got back from walking around and above Omaha beach. Also toured the American cemetary, and Pont du Hoc, where the 2nd Ranger Battalion scaled 100ft cliffs to take decisive ground where German artillery could pummel US forces on Omaha and Utah beachs.

Quite a sobering day. I hope my daughters soaked up some of what made that the Greatest Generation.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-29-2022 04:57 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My father in law was wounded in an advanced scouting party at the Battle of The Bulge. Chester spent nearly a year in a German prison camp, Stalag 4B, with his buddy Merle. Both received numerous medals, some pinned on them by General Eisenhower. My wife has all of them.

There was quite a story about him in the Western Kentucky news media outlets. Chester was battling cancer and near the end of his life. He had not seen or had any contact with Merle since the war ended. Through the efforts of a family member, Merle was located in Omaha Nebraska and flew in to spend Christmas with Chester.
They were interviewed by numerous news outlets and Chester finally talked about some of the horrific things him and Merle went through. Chester also fought in the Korean “conflict”.

Chester died a few weeks after their reunion and Merle passed away later that year.

The greatest generation is about gone.

I envy your experience Tip. I would think it would be very emotional.

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-29-2022 05:01 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Glad u and family had a nice trip tip - it is a great teaching experience, and it is amazing what our soldiers did on D day. We can only hope that the schools will teach it truthfully in the future and not make it some sort of "aggressive" America!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-29-2022 10:26 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Guys i know from experience what you are saying about the greatest generation. I volunteer to sit/talk with veterans for Hospice. I sat with an Army Air Corps vet who had nothing but body failure, no disease and he had just turned 99 when I started seeing him every 3 weeks for just short of a year. He told me about building the runway on Okinawa and being there when the Japanese flew their planes in and surrendered. He saw the plane land that carried the top leaders of Japan land before they went on to be there for the surrender. This veteran was within 2 weeks of his 100th birthday when his body finally gave out. He did celebrate his admission to the KY Veterans Hall of Fame about 2 months before his passing. We both entered the HOF in September 2019. I was the one who submitted him for all the civic/volunteer work he accomplished after his military service. Someone else submitted me for the HOF for my 38 years of supporting veterans. This is the most humbling award I have ever received in my life and I have had 3 men accepted for the HOF in the past 4 years and am proud of each of them. If you know of any veteran who has done any of this volunteer typw work let me know so I can see if they are worthy of nomination.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com