TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Mask wearing. (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Mask wearing.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-14-2020 02:13 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
QB keeper signal is TD not sure he got in before his leg was down

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123957 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-14-2020 03:14 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Talking about hijacking a thread. 😜
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-14-2020 04:22 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oops, it was halftime and I forgot which page I was on! Sorry!
I was saying at halftime, my wife has had to wear a mask since this virus began as she works in the Pharmacy at Walmart.

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-14-2020 05:17 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:

quote:
Tip, I’m out and I’m going to stay out, Covid or no Covid.
It stinks in there and Mona refuses to empty that pot. Not sure what to do. Maybe M&M will go in there with some of his pot to mask the foul order?

Try the bathroom, hc...it's got an exhaust fan...works good. Plus, you can blame any lingering odor on diarrhea...works good too.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-14-2020 07:17 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would try that stuff it it wouldn't show up in my drug test. I have approx. 6 more years until graduation! Cant take any chances after 30 years!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-15-2020 09:00 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mh:
quote:
I would try that stuff it it wouldn't show up in my drug test. I have approx. 6 more years until graduation! Cant take any chances after 30 years!
Just one joint (or a couple puffs) can stay in your system for days, even weeks, and it will definitely show up on a drug test. So, don't touch it until you graduate, or be in the same room with someone else smoking it....ain't worth your job.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-15-2020 12:06 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've considered using CBD if I thought it would ease some of my pain and suffering but once again I'd never forgive myself if it showed up in a drug test!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-15-2020 02:35 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's highly unlikely it would show up in a common urine screening, especially if it is pure CBD, but you never know.

I would give odds that it would help you with pain, but you're doing the right thing.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-15-2020 02:53 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr. Clyde:

quote:
I agree with people that masks are aggravating and uncomfortable.
However, I would rather be aggravated than get that disease.

Best post yet about wearing mask! You Go Dr Clyde!

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 11-15-2020 04:20 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks M.M.
I often told my patients that
"the treatment is worse than the disease" in certain situations.
In the case of the Covid019 situation, the prevention is better than the disease.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-16-2020 02:46 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr Clyde:
quote:
In the case of the Covid019 situation, the prevention is better than the disease.
So far the disease is kicking the sh!t out of our prevention.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 11-16-2020 02:54 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What prevention? Most people are acting like it doesn't even exist.

MM, if you're not a habitual pot smoker and you take two hits from a joint on Friday, i'd bet good money you pass a test on Monday. I'm not a pot smoker but growing up I had many, many friends who were. I did get a good education from them. [Smile] But with that said, I still wouldn't risk it.

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-16-2020 03:17 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC:
quote:
MM, if you're not a habitual pot smoker and you take two hits from a joint on Friday, i'd bet good money you pass a test on Monday.
A urine screening....maybe...no guarantee for sure. The key, like you said, is "habitual pot smoker". The more often you indulge the more you will accumulate and the longer it will take your body to "clear itself".

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 11-17-2020 07:16 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You guys that want to discuss pot smoking. IF you live in Kentucky and near Lexington, you probably know about the Clinical Research Center in Lexington. I worked there in 1968-69. It was a federal prison for people convicted of drug crimes as well as a treatment center for drug addicts.
We had considerable experience in detecting and treating drug abuse. If we had been told that Marijuana would be legal in the future, we would have been shocked, but it does have some beneficial uses.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-18-2020 04:10 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cut up about it occasionally but haven’t had any in years. First, like Mark, it was my job...my company also did drug testing..couldn’t risk my job. After retirement my lungs (bronchitis) prevents me from being around smoke, though I have considered the edibles.

--------------------

CatfanRick
Administrator
Member # 126

posted 11-18-2020 04:58 PM      Profile for CatfanRick   Email CatfanRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am going to take this back to the mask question and emphasize what Handycat stated in the first post in this topic.

quote:
Originally posted by handycat:

I’m not talking about shutting down the economy or even closing schools but will it really inconvenience you that much to wear a mask?

Just on the off chance you’re wrong, your beliefs on mask wearing may be killing thousands of people. Not wearing a mask does not make you a real man, it simply shows you don’t care about others.

3 weeks ago I had total joint replacement to my left knee. I began with the initial office visits with my primary care provider in August and the Orthopedic surgeon in September asking what they think of this virus. I continued during pre-admission procedures at the hospital and also as I was given the mandatory Covid test 96 hours before admission for surgery to inquire as to their thoughts on how to attack this thing.

I then spent 5 days in the hospital followed by 5 days in a short term rehabilitation facility seeing a number of folks in the health care business from administrators to food service workers to cleaning crew to nurses to lab techs to rehab therapists to doctors and I again questioned every one of them specifically about the plan to attack the virus.

Let it be known that there were positive patients and employees at the hospital when I was there, and there were also positive tests among residents/patients and also employees in the short term facility when I was there also (of course these folks were in quarantine and isolated from the rest of the people in both of these facilities).

Since coming home I am getting physical therapy 3 times a week in home, along with in home nurse visits 2 times a week and each of these providers has had to give me their opinion on how to combat and defeat the Covid Virus.

All of that said I likely have come in to contact with and discussed procedure with possible 50 or more persons who are every day giving aid to the sick in one form or another and 3 things stand out as being in every opinion...

1...Wash your hands often with a good soap.

2...Maintain an adequate social distance from others.

3...WEAR A MASK WHEN OUT IN PUBLIC, AND AT HOME WHEN OTHERS COME IN FROM OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSEHOLD!!!

Many went further to mention avoiding hugs and handshakes, crowded places where distancing is next to impossible, getting in vehicles with those not in your normal group. Some advised against any type of holiday gatherings no matter who would be there. Some went as far to say that washing clothes worn outside your residence should be washed immediately when getting home. You get the picture, the list in infinite but all related to contact.

Just to address the mask issue further, the nurse that was in my home yesterday told me she had come in contact with 2 patients who afterwards tested positive with the virus. During those encounters she said that both her and her patient were wearing masks. She, by company protocol, had to isolate from working for 14 days each time, without pay, and then test not positive (this phrasing is what I have experienced during my testing results, not finding me negative, just not positive. I understand that this is normal) to go back to work. She swears that the mask is what protected her, and her family from contracting this virus.

No person, even when asked directly, offered any indication that wearing a mask was harmful in any manner unless they had a preexisting condition already making breathing difficult or hot being physically able to remove the mask should their breathing become restricted.

The bottom line is this for me, over the last 10 weeks or so I have been given many reasons to wear a mask, not only to protect myself but to protect those around me, and they do protect the both of us. They are uncomfortable, inconvenient, sometimes unsightly and cumbersome but they don't hurt anything and may, more than we will ever know, save others some discomfort and possible death.

Me, I will wear my mask everywhere I go, and if you come in to my home I will ask you to wear a mask while here.

It can't hurt but it might help.

Posts: 7180 | From: Florence, Ky | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 11-18-2020 06:57 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good post, CFR. Fully agree.

Three things make all the difference:

(1) Avoid unnecessary interaction with strangers, keep at least six feet distant, preferably meet outdoors or in a well-ventilated space, and limit interaction time to less than 15 minutes.

(2) Wear a mask any time you are with other people not in your 'quarantine family', and ask that others do as well. Bring an extra mask with you in case the other person "forgot".

(3) Wash your hands thoroughly, with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, for longer than you think necessary. I don't know about y'all, but 20 seconds seems like an eternity to wash my hands. But soap and sanitizer can break through the lipid casing around the COVID virus, destroying its ability to deliver its RNA payload into your cells. It does take time to ensure that you get all those damn things... hence the 20 seconds.

I would do the same things if I was going into someone's home who had the flu... but since we don't know who out there may be carriers, we have to adopt "flu protocol" for everyone.

There is a huge spike in detected cases in the US, but it is unclear (as it always has been) if this is simply because we are testing so many people these days, or if there really is a new major outbreak. I know that locally, there really is a major outbreak, with hospitals warning that they are reaching capacity.

Just be careful out there, TCD'ers. It is worth it. I am still having our groceries delivered to our car from Walmart and Sam's Club, order other things from Amazon, and really don't have much reason to get out of the house. I work from home, we cook our meals, and pretty much stay to ourselves.

[ 11-18-2020, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-18-2020 07:09 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFR I agree with your post wholeheartedly with one exception.

Somewhat unsightly may apply to many, but my friends tell me I look much better masked.

By the way CFR, hope your knee replacement went well. I’ve had both replaced. I still have some lingering side effects with mine. I’m no longer able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It takes me a short run to get over the real tall ones.

[ 11-18-2020, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-19-2020 12:00 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice post CFR...couldn't agree more.

Tip:

quote:
There is a huge spike in detected cases in the US, but it is unclear (as it always has been) if this is simply because we are testing so many people these days, or if there really is a new major outbreak. I know that locally, there really is a major outbreak, with hospitals warning that they are reaching capacity.
It's the huge spike in positivity rate that indicates we are in the midst of a virtual nationwide outbreak...It was predicted months ago.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 11-20-2020 09:13 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sweden’s hands off policy appears to have back fired.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-coronavirus-pandemic-lockdown-deaths-2020-8

Since this article was written, they have said they got it wrong. At least that was what was reported on the news this morning. Sorry, could not find an article where they publicly said this.

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-20-2020 01:34 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's about 100 degrees where I'm working today. With the mask on it feels like it's 125. I've been wearing it but I think if it was made out of something other than paper it would be full enough to ring out!

[ 11-20-2020, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 11-21-2020 04:25 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What are (were) you doing?

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 11-22-2020 08:14 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, Coal fired boilers produce ash, naturally, some of the ash produced from burning coal is light enough to travel through the smoke stream, "Fly ash". In the upper, "penthouse area" of the boiler are super heat tubes that take the radiant heat from the top of the boiler and heat the steam again before it is sent to the turbine to spin it. THese super heat tube bundles will have this "Fly ash" land on the tubes insulating them from receiving the optimum amount of heat. So a long lance sootblower blows either compressed air or steam through the tube as it rotates out into the boiler removing the fly ash that is laying on the tubes. These blowers are about 45 feet long.

This soot blowing system air lances have a intricate gearbox that pushes the lance tube out into the boiler. THey are run by an electric motor. From time to time the gear box fails. A lot of times this failure is caused by poor lubrication. Generally the poor lubrication isn't because it wasn't oiled or greased properly, but that the heat in the area was so great that the lubricant breaks down causing eventual failure. I've seen the grease in these break down so much that the gaskets and seals installed in these gearboxes separates. The oil content from the grease will leak out of the gaskets and seals leaving a dark wax behind. Which is all that left from the original grease.

We had to change out one of those gearboxes. It's an 8 hour job. Thankfully the temperatures outside were down. When the temps get into the 90's close to 100, the temperature on the upper levels of this particular unit cant reach 140-150 degrees.
This is the best way I know how to describe it!

[ 11-22-2020, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com