TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Mail in ballots.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mail in ballots.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2020 10:42 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m dead set against it.

Not for the same reason many of you are. The president said yesterday that the only reason he can lose this election is because of fraud.

I don’t want him or anyone else to be able to call the results of the election into question and throw our country into more turmoil than it has been for the previous 4 years.

I understand that some people may not feel safe going to the polls because on the pandemic. Use the method already in place, ask for an absentee ballot. If it’s good enough for the President, it should be good enough for anyone.

Posts: 5402 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-18-2020 01:03 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Aren’t absentee ballots mail-in ballots?

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2020 01:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
M&M, yes they are but you have to request them. At least here in Illinois. May be wrong about this, but I think all states have a method in place that allows you to vote without going to the polling location. It’s mass mailing of ballots to everyone that I’m opposed to.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-18-2020 03:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Why not just lengthen the open poll days? A-E votes on Monday, F-J on Tuesday, K-O on Wednesday, etc. That would drastically lower the crowds.
Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-18-2020 03:20 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would like to know how they had the George Floyd funeral with all the people there and we haven't had one report of new cases from the event ??? Also how could they have his funeral yet us common folk that don't break the law as he had many times can't go to our loved ones funereals ??? Again selective oportunities for certain people but not for the majority of us (yes we are the majority... the law abiding everyday people that get the shaft everytime the Dems throw some new law or mayors/ governors proclemation at us) ??? We can't go to an inside church service or any event over 10, 20 or so people but the portestors can meet by the thousands and nothing happens as well as the funeral for Floyd where hundreds attended !!!

MEL

[ 08-18-2020, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: MEL ]

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-18-2020 03:48 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While there have been 250,000,000 absentee ballots successfully filed over the last 20 years, traditionally those have been reserved for those who specifically request them, and thus, expect them in the mail.

What bothers me about universal mail-in ballots is the opportunity for look-alikes. Somebody has already reported getting "ballots" in Virginia that have Trump's picture on them. Other places have reported receiving ballots for people who don't live at their address, or who are deceased.

I don't trust either party (local party bosses are notoriously prone to push the envelope). We have independently-controlled elections for a reason. Opening it up to full mail-in ballot makes it IMPOSSIBLE to run a controlled election.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-18-2020 03:53 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry Paul, that makes too much sense. You'll never make a politician.
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-18-2020 05:33 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc ... you are sooooooo right !!!

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-18-2020 06:48 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guarantee you that all of these people who are crying about mail in voting have been in a Walmart!
If you can stand 6' apart for social distancing in line to go through a cash register you can stand in line even if it takes an hour or two to cast a ballot!

I bet if you are standing in line at 6PM or whenever your states ending voting time is, you will be given the opportunity to cast your vote!

It's never been brought up as a subject of interest before but Heaven knows the MSM have something to talk about other than peace in the Middle east!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 08-18-2020 06:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Better yet, the people who are PROTESTING the mail in vote over voting in person!
It doesn't get any better than that! Really? Do people think we have no common sense at all?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-19-2020 09:08 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MEL:
quote:
Again selective oportunities for certain people but not for the majority of us (yes we are the majority... the law abiding everyday people that get the shaft everytime the Dems throw some new law or mayors/ governors proclemation at us) ??? We can't go to an inside church service or any event over 10, 20 or so people but the portestors can meet by the thousands and nothing happens as well as the funeral for Floyd where hundreds attended !!!
Sturgis...460,000.

mh:

quote:
If you can stand 6' apart for social distancing in line to go through a cash register you can stand in line even if it takes an hour or two to cast a ballot!
You can also order curb-side pickup...ya, know, a choice.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-19-2020 10:01 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You can also order curb-side pickup...ya, know, a choice.
You can also use absentee voting...ya, know, a choice. AND it’s already in place.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-19-2020 10:19 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know that, hc. The post I was referring to seem to suggest the only option voters had was to vote in person, or at least, the option they should choose.

Here is a good state by state breakdown on mail-in voting.

Link

[ 08-19-2020, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-19-2020 11:34 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are very few things that are duties assigned to everyday citizens. One is to pay our taxes. Another is to be an informed and engaged citizen. The ultimate expression of the latter is when we exercise our civic responsibility by voting.

Getting out of your house and driving to a voting precinct is not an onerous duty. If you have health reasons, or you cannot be in your home location on election day, then you can arrange for an absentee ballot. Personally, I feel much more 'American' when I am standing in line with my fellow citizens (of either party), waiting to exercise my privilege and duty.

Many argue that one vote doesn't matter. And, in a way they are correct. One vote will not change the outcome of any given election. But elections are not designed for us to get "our way". They are designed to capture a point-in-time pulse of America. Our voices are not heard individually, but in aggregate.

It is like one dollar does not make anybody wealthy. But if tens of millions of us put in a dollar, there is quite a bit of collective wealth.

I submit that voting in person is our duty. And there is a controlled, proven, and effective alternative: absentee ballots. I see absolutely no need for mass mail-in voting. It is uncontrolled and subject to fraud; I am absolutely opposed to it. In fact, hitting another 'political flash point, I am fully in favor of requiring a valid government-issued photo ID to vote in our elections.

[ 08-19-2020, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-19-2020 12:57 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
I see absolutely no need for mass mail-in voting. It is uncontrolled and subject to fraud;
Until there is evidence of wide-spread voter fraud I don't care how people vote. There has been mass mail-in voting in this country for decades, in both "red" and "blue" states, with very minor to no indication of fraud.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-19-2020 01:17 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, you pretty well summed up my feelings about voting.

M&M, I agree the amount of proven fraud to this point is insignificant.

I’m concerned that Trump is saying the only way he can lose is if there is fraud in the election. Too many of his supporters will believe this because he said it. Not necessarily Republicans or Conservatives but Trumps sheep.

Lord, I’m going to take grief for that.

[ 08-19-2020, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com