TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » New topic: bar codes

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New topic: bar codes
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-26-2020 05:52 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This might be some useful info:

It is wise to READ the LABELS on the FOOD YOU BUY. Many labels do not show where the food and pet products came from.
Great way to buy USA and Canada NOT CHINA. If the first 3 digits on barcode are 690, 691, 692 product is made in CHINA Barcode 471 Taiwan
USA AND CANADA BARCODE 00-09
Remember watch for the "O"

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-26-2020 06:36 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ukcatfannfl,

When I was doing my medical practice, I washed my hands frequently, but since I am retired I do not wash them so often. However with all the news about this virus problem I do wash them more often than I would under other circumstances.
One day I sat down to eat and did not need to wash my hands. Before I ate my first bite, I picked up a package that read "made in China". Then I NEEDED to wash my hands and I immediately washed them.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-26-2020 07:14 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've washed my hands so often the past 6 weeks, that they are dried out so much that the skin cracks.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-26-2020 09:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Ed. That is good information to know!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13612 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-27-2020 06:57 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
I've washed my hands so often the past 6 weeks, that they are dried out so much that the skin cracks.
Yep! If there is a silver lining in all this it will in the area of personal hygiene and food processing. Folks are going to be much more conscience of what and who they come in contact with....which is a good thing, IMO.

I believe a lot of illnesses today (before covid) are a result of our diet, especially meat and how it is processed.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-27-2020 07:47 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’ve always washed my hands a couple of times a week so I’m good in as far as that goes.

You know what they say, cleanliness is next to godliness!

Posts: 5395 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 04-27-2020 10:56 AM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:

It is wise to READ the LABELS on the FOOD YOU BUY. Many labels do not show where the food and pet products came from.
Great way to buy USA and Canada NOT CHINA. If the first 3 digits on barcode are 690, 691, 692 product is made in CHINA Barcode 471 Taiwan

Unfortunately, this is not true. In the UPC standard for bar codes used in the United States, the country code only signifies that location of the company that printed the bar code. So I can be local company in GA that has all my products made in a China and they will have US bar codes. The "made in ...." label is still the best and most accurate way available to specify buying that which is Made in the USA.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-27-2020 11:02 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GA Cat:
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:

Unfortunately, this is not true. In the UPC standard for bar codes used in the United States, the country code only signifies that location of the company that printed the bar code. So I can be local company in GA that has all my products made in a China and they will have US bar codes. The "made in ...." label is still the best and most accurate way available to specify buying that which is Made in the USA.
With the possible exception of meat products such as ground beef. The big meat packers are able to bring cattle in from Brazil or Mexico, slaughter it here and then label it as 'product of USA'. I guess depending on your take, that's technically true, but it sure doe screw small family farmers like my Dad...he raises beef cattle, and the prices are through the floor. To Brazilian and Mexicans, it's a great price, but to American farmers, it's not even at the break-even level.

MCOOL- Mandatory Country of Origin Labeling - is required so that our domestic farmers can sell their goods at fair prices. Keep foreign beef out of the markets, or at least label it as such so that consumers can make an educated choice.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-27-2020 11:12 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry guys I thought if it was read on the internet it had to be true! [Wink]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-27-2020 08:10 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You got me beat, Handy! I was washing my hands once a month whether they needed them or not!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-29-2020 01:23 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by handycat:
I’ve always washed my hands a couple of times a week so I’m good in as far as that goes.

You know what they say, cleanliness is next to godliness!

One question, do you take baths on Saturday night?😁

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-29-2020 04:35 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I haven't had a bath on Saturday night for 6 weeks now. Once they closed my church for social distancing I quit showering all together!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123973 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com