TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Staying at home? (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Staying at home?
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-09-2020 01:39 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are all of you staying at home?

This is my thrid straight week of working from home and i'll continue to do so until the govt gives the ok. In the last three weeks i've been to the grocery store twice, to my niece's house to fix a plumbing leak, and today I just went to get gas for the lawnmower. Didn't touch a thing at the gas station. I took two paper towels and hand sanitizer and didn't directly touch anything.

I also found an N95 mask in my basement this week - i bought it a couple years ago for drywall work when i finished my basement. Could've sworn i had two of them but only found one. I will definitely wear the mask the next time i have to go to a store. I've definitely been drinking more - having one little glass of bourbon after work with a cigar. There's nothing to do other than watch tv and sit on the deck trying to find sports news that just doesn't exist.

Can't wait until this is over.

Posts: 10321 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-09-2020 03:32 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes indeed I'm staying home 24/7, EXCEPT to fill my mower gas cans and two trips to Walmart to get a pick up order. I may continue to use that even after this has all blown over. I've also been through the Dairy Queen drive thru twice, and a couple of times to the restaurant where I drink coffee in ordinary times. They are closed for dine in, but you can call in an order and they bring it out to the car.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-09-2020 05:27 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I flew back from my LA client on Friday the 13th [Eek!] -- been working from home ever since. My wife and kids are all at home too... wife teaches her physics classes online, youngest daughter takes her classes from UC San Diego online, and oldest daughter has been quarantining in her room, with most of her time spent on endless video calls with her friends. Our renter downstairs is also a professor, and he teaches his courses online as well. That means, for most of the day, five of us are streaming video on tools like Zoom, Teams, or Skype. I am damn glad I upgraded our internet service before all this started!

We all have been cooped up here for the duration. Sure has been interesting. I have become accustomed to being gone during the week, so it feels strange being home all the time. Also, my wife sits across our living room from me and often her classes are at the same time as my meetings... it can get noisy!

Norm, We started ordering from Walmart for pickup, but now we can't get a pickup time slot for the life of us. So, we have to brave the stores in person. We have been trying to visit smaller groceries to avoid the crush of humanity in Walmart, but it still makes me nervous.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13591 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-09-2020 06:28 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, try Walmart again. I'd been having the same problem, but when I looked this morning, they had added a box to click: "Next Available time". Lo and behold! They had two openings Sunday afternoon. I sangged one and will do the pick up Sunday afternoon between 2 and 3!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-09-2020 06:47 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sleep. I Eat. I Nap. I Eat. I Nap. I Snack. Repeat.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-09-2020 07:27 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I eat too. For lunch, I had three leftover slices of crispy bacon, a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream, and a cherry bearclaw Danish! I know how to fix a balanced meal!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-09-2020 09:31 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How's your cholesterol, Norm? [Big Grin]

[ 04-09-2020, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-09-2020 10:01 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's great.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-10-2020 01:17 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm working everyday, playing golf every weekend, going to the store when I need to. Nothing has changed for me.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-10-2020 07:51 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How is golf being handled in Bama, RLT? Up here in N. Ky. the course my league plays at is closed. Others are open for walking only - no carts. Then there are others that make each person take their own cart. You usually pay over the phone, too, as they have like a two-person limit in the clubhouse. Tee times are 16 minutes apart and the holes are upside down so the ball doesn't go in them and you can't remove the flags. It's kind of crazy.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 08:46 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I work for KY Utilities, where I've been employed since '90. Nothing has changed for me either. we're in the middle of spring outages. (An outage is where a unit, coal fired, is taken off to do major repairs that can't be accomplished while the unit is running.

One huge problem for us is the fact that during outage season we have a lot of transient contract employees who may show up from anywhere in the country. These guys normally live in hotels, or bring their own camper with them to live in while the work is being done. A lot of these guys ( I say guys because the labor force is probably 50 males per 1 female) will leave at lunch time to try and find food. We have recently hired a catering company to provide meals for approx. 700 each day.

Since the beginning of these social changes our company has been preparing to sequester the employees on site if necessary. So far it hasn't come to that.

Anyway, other than being able to worship on Sunday at my church and an occasional eating meals out, my life hasn't been altered all that much. Working 50-60 hours a week keeping the lights on.

My wife works in the Pharmacy at Walmart. Her hours have changed quite a bit, they've changed the way they operate now too. Her particular pharmacy doesn't have a drive thru but they are now offering curb side service as long as you are paying with plastic.

You guys stay safe and I'll continue to try to keep the lights on for you guys so you can watch your afternoon soap operas! LOL

[ 04-10-2020, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123953 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 08:52 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was supposed to play golf in Warsaw, KY today but the temperatures have me altering my golf plans until tomorrow. They are allowing 1 person per golf cart unless you arrived at the course together, doesn't make much sense if you can ride in the same vehicle together that you can't ride in a cart together!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-10-2020 10:28 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MH, what course were you supposed to play? I don't know the geography extremely well down there but i've played Perry Park, which I love, and Fairway Golf Course (Wheatley).
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 11:14 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sugar bay, its just a little bit south of Warsaw on your way to the original interstate exit, before the race track was built, to Warsaw. I work in Ghent, which is about 15 miles west of Warsaw.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 11:15 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've never played Perry park, I have played Wheatley several times.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-10-2020 11:23 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have heard of Sugar Bay but never played there. Maybe i'll put that on my bucket list. [Smile]
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 11:47 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's very comparable to Wheatley. Typical fescue fairways. It was originally a rock quarry, so there are valleys and mounds between fairways. During wet seasons it has a few holes where water hazard comes into play that normally isn't there in summer and fall.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 11:49 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've played Henry county several times in the past few years, also Eagle creek in Oldham county gets played a few times a year as well. My golf partner lives in Lagrange.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 11:50 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you're like me, Paul, I like playing a new course or two every year. At least new to me anyway.

--------------------

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 04-10-2020 12:57 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I play at silver wings on Fort Rucker. One person per cart, the holes have the foam pool noodles wrapped around them. If you hit the flag it's good. No rakes in the sand traps and the drink girl doesn't come around, but other than that it's business as usual.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-10-2020 02:47 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the topic needs to be changed to NOT staying home! [Confused]

[ 04-10-2020, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-10-2020 04:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
If you're like me, Paul, I like playing a new course or two every year. At least new to me anyway.

I like playing new courses, i just hate afterwards saying "if i knew this course i would shot 9 strokes better." [Smile]

Several years ago I got invited to play this country club near my house. One particular par-5 i hit a good drive right down the middle. For my second shot there was a bit of a mound in between my ball and the green and i knew there was water to the left of the green. So instead of going for the green i decided to lay up with a 4-iron. I hit it perfect, landing over the mound in (what i thought) was the middle of the fairway. As i walked over the mound my ball was nowhere to be found, and I was then able to see that the water near the green came back down the fairway about 100 yards and kind of cut the fairway in half. 2-stroke penalty. [Frown]

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 05:37 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could stay at home, but I'm sure our customers would rather have their lights stay on!!!!

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] Unlike 100 years ago, Electricity is more of a necessity than a luxury. And Golf, well, as big as a golf course is, if you can't social distance on a golf course then we need to talk.

I feel the same way about a beach. Explain to me why social distancing can't take place on a beach? If you travel with your family then obviously you might be closer than 6', but I usually don't hang out with others at the beach!

[ 04-10-2020, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-10-2020 07:46 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
I think the topic needs to be changed to NOT staying home! [Confused]

I am with you for once MM. [Smile]

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-10-2020 07:47 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
I could stay at home, but I'm sure our customers would rather have their lights stay on!!!!

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] Unlike 100 years ago, Electricity is more of a necessity than a luxury. And Golf, well, as big as a golf course is, if you can't social distance on a golf course then we need to talk.

I feel the same way about a beach. Explain to me why social distancing can't take place on a beach? If you travel with your family then obviously you might be closer than 6', but I usually don't hang out with others at the beach!

mh ... have you seen the pics of the beaches in Florida ??? They were covered with people. No way to social distance with that many people there.

MEL

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-10-2020 08:43 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Were those spring break pictures, Mel?

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-10-2020 09:05 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mh:
quote:
The lights I'm really worried about are the ones under my eyelids!

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-10-2020 09:36 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
mh … I understand that but don't you think people would flock to the beaches if they were reopened ??? I think they would but maybe not.

MEL

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-11-2020 09:33 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm supposed to run out today as we're getting low on essential supplies (bread, milk, etc) but i really don't want to. I will be wearing my N95 mask I can guarantee it.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-11-2020 09:50 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We are using the Walmart app, or ordering on line. We will pick up our current order Monday morning. Don't even have get out of the car.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-11-2020 10:04 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not staying at home. I've been working as normal since this all began, but yesterday we got news passed down from the chosen ones that our healthcare organization we work for has taken a massive hit financially this quarter due to the pandemic. We're going to have losses in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Now, I'm just a lowly paramedic out here but this loss gets rolled downhill, as most poopie-storms tend to do. All employees will be required to take a weeks worth of vacation over the next 2 months, and their positions will not be covered while they're gone. I actually offered to take a furlough for 8 weeks to save all of the folks who work on my shift from having to take time off...some simply don't have that amount of vacation, some are saving theirs up for maternity leave, etc. I was denied, though, so will continue to toe the line and be a good little soldier.

As an aside, I am done with the quarantine. I think what's happening to our country and economy are much worse than anything covid can do. The cure is going to be worse than the problem. Let everyone out, get exposure to the virus. Keep the old folks and immunocompromised at home, but we simply cannot keep the country shut down indefinitely.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-11-2020 10:50 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your service during this horrible time CFIY !!!

I too believe we need to get back to normal at least by May 1st. When I do go out now I don't wear a mask but I don't hang around people (stay 5-6 feet away as much as I can. I went to the mountains a few days ago and found a space where my gf and I could get out and have a picnic by the river and no one came close to us (well except for the game warden who was checking to see if we were fishing). There were some areas where there were 15-20 cars in the area and lots of people around but mostly it was 1 to 3 or 4 cars in places.

Stay safe CFIY as well as everyone else.

MEL

Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 04-11-2020 01:56 PM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I sleep, eat, take a dump, sleep, eat, take a dump, etc.

Don't worry, my hiney's clean. I have an ample supply of Charmin.

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-11-2020 03:28 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My hiney's clean because I'm Charmin clean. I feel like I just sat through a commercial!

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-11-2020 08:34 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While I was out today I was near a Walmart and decided to run in real quick, wearing my mask. I was stunned. I saw not one employee wearing any type of mask, and probably 1 out of 10 people were wearing masks. I saw people who were at least near 60 or older just walking around like an ordinary Saturday. It's like business as usual for most people. I just don't get it. I have been wondering lately why the number of infected in Ky is not slowing down as quickly as I would've thought. Now I know. People just don't care.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-11-2020 09:04 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY:
quote:
I think what's happening to our country and economy are much worse than anything covid can do.
I'm beginning to think you are right because the most powerful, wealthiest and most tech advanced nation in the history of the planet is running in 51 different directions trying to figure schit out!.

Since we are now leading the world in both number of cases and deaths, the "you're on your own" approached don't seem to be working...I guess covid forgot to read the constitution.

[ 04-11-2020, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-12-2020 12:12 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Looks like "land of the free" doesn't translate into "land of the smartest".
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-12-2020 06:18 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jarcat:
quote:
I sleep, eat, take a dump, sleep, eat, take a dump, etc.

Don't worry, my hiney's clean. I have an ample supply of Charmin.

You won't have long if you keep that schit up! [Smile]

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-12-2020 08:31 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"Since we are now leading the world in both number of cases and deaths, the "you're on your own" approached don't seem to be working...I guess covid forgot to read the constitution."

Since this is a "political statement, assume you are referring to the President? If so, he has done a great job in keeping an "organized" approach in tackling this pandemic. The "experts" "models" predicted over 200,000 deaths.

What more would you have him do?

p.s. Happy Easter!!

[ 04-12-2020, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-12-2020 09:29 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
The "experts" "models" predicted over 200,000 deaths.

What more would you have him do?

Models change daily, depending on available data...it could still hit 200,000 because data is something we are woefully short on due to lack of testing. We still have no clue how bad things are.

Just read where S. Korea tested 91recovered
patients...they all tested positive...so much for immunity testing.

Happy Easter to you, Ed...stay safe my friend.

[ 04-12-2020, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com