TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » CFIY

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CFIY
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-02-2020 07:28 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Since you are actively working in the medical field as one of "boots on the ground", what are you seeing with the spread of C-19?

I have a niece who works as a nurse in Georgetown, Ky. She said the community is making gowns for the hospital from plastic table cloths and the nurses went out and personally purchased some cheap raincoats....I could feel the anxiety and fear in her voice. Yet, even married with two young children, she goes to work every day...my hero!

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-02-2020 09:44 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My daughter is an RN and is the manager for hospice care for a company here in central Illinois. She went to Menards Monday and bought paper painter suits that painter’s wear as they can not get gowns. They get one mask per nurse per week. A lot of their patients are in nursing homes and most of them are limiting hospice visits to one visit per week if allowed in at all. They are even trying “telephone visits”. The primary purpose of their mission in to alleviate their patients pain or at least lessen it. In her mind a close second is to console and comfort not only the patients but the family as well. She believes they are failing miserably.

My daughter takes her job very seriously and considers this work her calling. She feels they are not providing the level of service that their patients need and require. She is extremely stressed out as I believe almost everyone in the medical field is.

I’ll be interested as what CFIY has to say if he has time to answer this. I know his area is starting to be hit hard.

[ 04-02-2020, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-02-2020 10:00 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I mailed her the box of N95 mask I bought before the outbreak. It was a box of 20...it ain't much but it's more than she is getting anywhere else.

[ 04-02-2020, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-03-2020 07:16 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Morning, fellas. I suspect what I'm seeing is less newsworthy than what y'all are seeing on the cable boxes. My area is about 70 miles west of Chicago. It's a city of about 200,000, and when you add in the surrounding areas in the county, we're probably at about 300,000 people served by the 3 hospitals in the city I work. I work for a private ambulance service owned by one of the hospitals. We're unique in that we do the normal private ambulance stuff - taking patients back to nursing homes, transferring to higher level of care facilities, etc - but we're also contracted with a few areas to be their first call for 911 calls.

I have been in all 3 hospitals recently. I can tell you that my hospital is having very low census numbers. The ER there has 18 beds and at any one time there is probably 10 empty ones. Other ERs in the city are much the same. 2 of the hospitals in town have designated 'covid' wings set up, and the third is building theirs now. I had the unfortunate need to be in one of the covid wings with my last patient Wednesday. It's an old recovery area, small patient rooms, each has a ventilator. RNs wandering around in space suits and the doctor on duty does everything remotely. The RN wheels around a cart with a laptop thing on it, the doc sits at their desk and can interact with staff/patients without being exposed.

My department and hospital, thus far, are pretty well set on PPE. When this all started, I grabbed about a half dozen N95 respirators for myself out of central supply. I use one a shift (24 hours) and then put it at the bottom of the stack. I only work every 3rd day, so by the time that mask comes up again it's been sitting for over 2 weeks. Now mind you, we don't wear our stuff 24 hours straight, only when on a call for respiratory symptoms. So I might only wear my N95 3 or 4 hours in a day. We have face shields and eyewear, too. Those gowns are fine, but holy smokes they're hot to wear any length of time. You get drenched in sweat after about 15 minutes in them.

Every hospital has a tent set up outside. It looks kind of eerie but I've yet to see any of them really staffed. Thankfully, a lot of the nonsense folks that come to the ED for stupid things (sniffles, regular headache, stubbed toes) have stopped. I don't know if the public has learned those things are really NOT emergencies or if they're scared of catching this virus...either way, I applaud them. Our call volume is literally half or less of what it was 2 months ago.

I have one co worker who splits time on the ambulance and in the hospital working. She has all the symptoms of the virus. She was quarantined at home and thought she was recovering, but had to go into the hospital 3 nights ago for shortness of breath. She was breathing 30-40 times per minutes, and the normal range is 12-20. Fever of 102 or higher.

Hopefully we're nearing the peak of new cases of this virus. If some reports are to be believed the infection rate is finally slowing. I look for the death rate to taper off by early next week. Total deaths will continue to climb, obviously, but hopefully the daily death rate will begin to taper off. Many here are speculating we're in the 'calm before the storm'. I don't know what the future holds. I know I was finishing up nursing school but that whole process has been halted indefinitely. It's frustrating, I was hoping to be off the ambulance and working as a nurse by this fall, but that could be pushed off a year or more depending on how covid shakes out.

At any rate, hope this answers your questions. I'll happily answer any specific questions you have about where I'm at. I encourage all you old farts to stay home, wash your hands, and just try to stay away from people you don't live with. It's so easy to be a carrier of this (or any) virus and have no idea! If you want to wear a surgical mask or some kind of face covering when you go out, that's not a bad idea. Just know it's really designed for 2 things. 1) keep you from touching your nose/mouth area and 2)stop you from spreading your germs to others. It's not going to stop you from getting someone elses germs!

I appreciate y'all and your concern. Any thoughts or prayers are appreciated, this is definitely like nothing I've seen before. I've only been doing this going on 15 years, but I sure don't want to have to go through something like this again!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-03-2020 08:33 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFY, Good information. Stay safe.

You really shouldn’t call M&M an old fart. He is but we don’t want to hurt his feelings as he is very sensitive. He has never been insulted on here before.

[ 04-03-2020, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5408 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-03-2020 09:59 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You ain't right, hc. [Big Grin]

Thanks, CFIY...probably will touch base with you again soon...take care of yourself dude!

[ 04-03-2020, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-03-2020 09:10 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, fellas. Back to the grind tomorrow. 24 hours of rollin the dice!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-03-2020 09:32 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CFIY: My son gave us a box of 10 N95 respirators. Do you need them?

Never mind. I just got a text from one of my best friends. His wife has been in the hospital in an induced coma. Her test results just now came back positive.

[ 04-03-2020, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-03-2020 11:12 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm, very sorry to hear of your friend's wife. Prayers for her recovery.

CFIY, be careful out there. Never let your guard down, even for a moment!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-04-2020 06:08 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Old Norm:
CFIY: My son gave us a box of 10 N95 respirators. Do you need them?

Never mind. I just got a text from one of my best friends. His wife has been in the hospital in an induced coma. Her test results just now came back positive.

Thanks for the initial offer, Norm, but I'm all set. The company I work for is pretty well stocked for the immediate future. So sorry to hear of your friends wife. This virus, once contracted, is certainly nothing to be trifled with.

Tip, I'm doing my best buddy! Pretty bummed that there hasn't been an NCAA champion crowned yet.. That's my first gripe other than this dumb virus pandemic!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-05-2020 08:36 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The NCAA Champion wasn't supposed to have been crowned until tomorrow night originally, CFIY!

I think KY is playing San Diego ST for the Championship!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123990 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 04-05-2020 10:57 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
The NCAA Champion wasn't supposed to have been crowned until tomorrow night originally, CFIY!

I think KY is playing San Diego ST for the Championship!

Go Big Blue!!

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com