TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Chinese Flu. (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Chinese Flu.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-28-2020 07:35 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m almost ashamed to say I was Channel Surfing this morning and stopped briefly on CNN. They were talking about how racist it is for Trump to keep calling this the “Chinese Flu.” IMO, this is taking political correctness to new heights.

I make no secret that I’m no fan of Donald Trump’s character but it’s no wonder he hates the news media.

[ 03-28-2020, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 08:04 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:
quote:
I’m almost ashamed to say I was Channel Surfing this morning and stopped briefly on CNN.
Don't be ashamed at all, hc. That's what I like about you...you are willing to step outside the bubble for a different perspective...it may not change your mind, but at least you will listen.

This is the biggest reason not to call it the "Chinese Flu".

Link

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-28-2020 09:04 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
M&M, i’m “listening” to this link but I’m sure not agreeing.

Anyone using this as an excuse to attack Asian Americans is just looking for an excuse to attack someone of a different race or nationality. A racist is going to be a racist and is just looking for any excuse.

By this logic, if the virus originated in Sweden and Trump called it the Swedish virus, blonde, blue eyed Americans would have been at risk.

[ 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5400 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-28-2020 09:30 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's see, we have the Asian flu, Spanish Flu and Hong Kong flu which Trump is not responsible for those names. So now Trump says Chinese flu and everyone (and by everyone I mean the democrats) get their panties in a wad.

What is worse than saying "Chinese flu" is those moron reporters in the press conferences who ask Trump why he is calling it the Chinese flu.

Ok, I've got to go eat eat breakfast now. I'm having Swedish meatballs, French fries and Polish sausage.... Oh crap, i must be a racist.

Posts: 10342 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 09:37 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:
quote:
A racist is going to be a racist and is just looking for any excuse.

Exactly!...so why give them an excuse?

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 10:05 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Chinese are shaking in their boots, waiting for the world to come to them led by President Trump, knowing they will have to explain how/why they unleased this Chinese virus on the world and kept it hidden so long.. Lots of questions will be given and lots of answers required once this crisis is under control..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2020 10:07 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The point is, they don't need a damned excuse. And don't call me a Kentuckian anymore, you Alabama Redneck!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 10:16 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
And don't call me a Kentuckian anymore, you Alabama Redneck!
I don't have a clue what you're talking about!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 10:19 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
The Chinese are shaking in their boots,
So am I!

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 10:24 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul Cat .... exactly my thoughts. The media will attack President Trump no matter what he says.
I loved watching the Jefferson's and All in The Family. Way before we had to be politically correct … they were so funny and everyone knew they were for entertainment.
BTW … I haven't read the new stimulus package but one of the versions had something to do with large companies having to have diversified boards. MM can you explain why the hell anyone thinks they have the right to tell me as a business owner who I have to have on my board of directors ??? Isn't this a free country and it is "MY" business ??? I truly do not understand that idea.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 10:30 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Damned if I know Mel. Who knows what all is in that bill?

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 10:37 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree MM and I am not going to read the hundreds of pages I am sure it is. I heard Pelosi's was 1400 pages but haven't heard what the final one is. I know you have to put legal wording in things like this but come on … 1400 pages is covering a lot of pork written in there by different groups wanting something for their agenda.

MEL

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2020 10:57 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
Norm:
quote:
And don't call me a Kentuckian anymore, you Alabama Redneck!
I don't have a clue what you're talking about!
I was trying to be funny. Sorry you didn't understand.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 11:25 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh, OK...in that case [Big Grin]

BTW, not only am I a proud Alabama Redneck but I also claim the great honor of being a Kentucky Hillbilly.

I guess you could say that I'm "eat up with it"
[Smile]

[ 03-28-2020, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 12:08 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right now I don't care what anybody calls this virus or where it is from. You can call it Nina from China for all I care, just fix it!

The only thing that matters at this point is our response, and I'm not feeling real confident about it.

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 01:23 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The response imv by our President has been correct and right on. . No one on earth could have predicted that the Chinese would drop this pandemic on us after at first hiding it.

The prior administrations left the shelves bare when they left office.

Don't forget the "States" have the responsible of keeping their states ready for an emergency and it is apparent that very few did anything but rely on the govt to bail them out! i.e. see NO with Katrina for a local example..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-28-2020 02:28 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In 1957 or 1958, I can't remember exactly, but I was in college and had the "Asian flu". That term is not as specific as the "Chinese flu", but it is a region of the world. I don't think there was an outcry about that name.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 02:35 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The outcry is from the people that have to have a safe place when someone tells them something that hurts their feelers !!! Grow up and get a life quit *****ing about what someone says that might hurt your feelings.

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 03:17 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
No one on earth could have predicted that the Chinese would drop this pandemic on us after at first hiding it.
That's true, except for the South Koreans. They had their first confirmed case the same day as we did...theirs is under control..ours is out of control.

quote:
The prior administrations left the shelves bare when they left office.
How long does it take to restock supplies, at least enough 50 cent gloves and mask to protect our health care providers?

quote:
Don't forget the "States" have the responsible of keeping their states ready for an emergency and it is apparent that very few did anything but rely on the govt to bail them out! i.e. see NO with Katrina for a local example..
The way I see it is the Federal Government is the man of the house. When the house catches on fire you don't tell your family to find their own way out.

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 04:15 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM... the Federal Gov may be the man of the house but the Governors are in charge of their state. Trump can't tell them to open up the jobs in their states (many aren't agreeing with his assessment on opening things back up). So if they don't won't to work with him and know what is best for their state and think they can take care of their state then why do they run to the Federal Gov only when they haven't taken care of their obligations to their state that they were elected to protect ??? New Orleans for example …. they know it is in a basin and there will be floods but they keep building right back in the basin. But when it floods they want the Fed Gov to come in a help them out. I use to tell my parents that looks like a good house to move into and they would look at it and say that is the low part of town and all the flood water runs through there. We didn't get much rain but a few years later we got a huge rain and all of those houses had water 8 to 10 inches deep (if not more) in them. They built fences around them to keep the water out after that but water gets through fences and falls from the sky and once inside the fence they couldn't get it out fast enough (back in the house it went). It wasn't the city's job to take care of them, they built the house there knowing (or should have checked) that it was the low spot in town That was 50 years ago and still to this day when it rains big those houses take in water. The city has tried to change the run offs in that area by working with the road department but it will always be the low end of town and water always flows down hill.
I know this virus surprised everyone but as the leader of your state you should have money and resources set aside for disasters and not rely on the Fed Gov for "everything". This speaks to Rep and Dems, if the government were better stewards with all the money they gets from their tax payers there would be plenty of money set aside for disasters and such but they want to have the best this and the biggest that and waste sooooooo money on stuff their state doesn't need. As the leader you are in charge. Who knows how many people are going to die from this virus but we do know that we have other viruses killing people all the time as well as DWI deaths and drug deaths etc. Sometimes we as a state have to step up and make things happen and not always rely on someone else to bail us out. My parents always taught me to be able to take care of myself (especially financially … have a savings for rainy days), don't expect someone else to pull you out. There may be those that will help you but you can't always rely on them.

Just my 2 cents.

MEL

PS … sorry for the novel.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2020 04:42 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
Ed:
[QUOTE]]The way I see it is the Federal Government is the man of the house. When the house catches on fire you don't tell your family to find their own way out.

And that is the main difference between liberals and conservatives. Or should I say democrats and republicans?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 04:55 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"How long does it take to restock supplies, at least enough 50 cent gloves and mask to protect our health care providers?"

State governments have a responsibly to their own.
They could have restocked ".50 cent" gloves!

I believe the states crying the most are run by democratic govts?

"
"The way I see it is the Federal Government is the man of the house. When the house catches on fire you don't tell your family to find their own way out."

I see it different - you first call ur local fire dept not the one in WashDC. The feds are there to augment your responsibility and supplement it. Cumo for example says he needed 40K respirators but fail to say he had 4k in a warehouse not used until pressed by a reporter..

[ 03-28-2020, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 05:05 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To begin with this is not a state by state problem, this is a national crises, the worst in my lifetime. This virus doesn't know if it's Michigan or Texas, and doesn't care.

States went out to locate supplies only to find out the Federal Gov't was out bidding them.

One hospital in LA reported they had 100k mask ordered for 2 weeks....the day before delivery they were informed that FEMA had come in and taken them.

Even when supplies are located states are bidding against each other...BIDDING! Price gouging is rampant and states have no choice but pay or do without!

And let us not forget, not for a second, what our health care providers are sacrificing.

They are unprotected, under supplied, isolated from their families, exhausted....and absolutely terrified! But we look up and there they are...and they are pleading for help!

In short...this ain't going good!

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 05:18 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My question is why is anyone bidding on anything ??? They have a price and you pay it. Why is anyone state or Fed allowing price gouging ??? It is against the law and they should be shut down immediately. We do still have law enforcement agencies that take care of price gouging. Trump has ordered companies to make things that they don't normally make to help with things such as respirators and I saw where one well known company was making items that would help with these problems before anyone ordered them to.
As far as disasters there is no disaster that has ever known if it was hitting Michigan or Texas.
All of our government would be in a lot better state if they were better stewards of "OUR" money !!!
I think it is time for term limits across the board. If it is good enough for the President it is good enough for the SWAMP (drain it) !!! A government position was never meant to be a lifetime job that you get very wealthy from !!! They have forgotten that they are there to serve the people not their self interests (both Dems and Rep).

MEL

[ 03-28-2020, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: MEL ]

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 05:24 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:

I believe the states crying the most are run by democratic govts?

That's true...for now! It ain't over...get back with me in a couple weeks.

[ 03-28-2020, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 05:29 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
And that is the main difference between liberals and conservatives. Or should I say democrats and republicans?
How do you see it then?

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 05:40 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know states govern themselves but for sure FL is run by a republication and has been for a while. and we have a surplus of funds.

Calif and NY are run by Democrats and they are always crying about money from the feds.

Louisiana is run by democrats and they practically destroyed their state during Katrina not to mention the virus now.

That's one difference which is seen by all during a world wide crisis..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 05:48 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MEL:
quote:
My question is why is anyone bidding on anything ??? They have a price and you pay it. Why is anyone state or Fed allowing price gouging ??? It is against the law and they should be shut down immediately.
Because most of these items are not made in the US and are not subject to US law.

Trump could put much more pressure on these companies/countries than any state. Without federal intervention the states deal with what they deal with.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 05:50 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
I don't know states govern themselves but for sure FL is run by a republication and has been for a while. and we have a surplus of funds.

Calif and NY are run by Democrats and they are always crying about money from the feds.

Louisiana is run by democrats and they practically destroyed their state during Katrina not to mention the virus now.

That's one difference which is seen by all during a world wide crisis..

Deflect and blame...some things never change!

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 05:51 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just true statements - guess the truth hurts!

As the democrats say - never let a crisis go without getting something -sorta like the pork added to the relief bill by the democrats and Cumo using every moment of airtime to bash Trump.

[ 03-28-2020, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-28-2020 05:58 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM … so FEMA is getting items and President Trump has sent 2 naval hospital ships (LA and NYC). Isn't that helping the states with much needed items and in these cases hospital beds ??? Sounds like the Feds are doing things for states not just hording items states need. Doesn't the stimulus package address state needs as far as health needs ???

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 06:13 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
As the democrats say - never let a crisis go without getting something -sorta like the pork added to the relief bill by the democrats and Cumo using every moment of airtime to bash Trump.

Poor Trump [Frown]

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 06:50 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes MM despite the press the democrats Trump is getting the job done....
p.s. I sorta like talking with you - tks missed it! [Wink]

"poor trump" actually he is quite rich as he made his money in the private sector whereas members of congress will sell their souls for their votes. both parties btw

[ 03-28-2020, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-28-2020 07:25 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Short of completely shutting down the country, I don't think there's anything the federal govt (or any president) could've done that would've made things different than they currently are. I barely read the news and i know what's out there. I've gone out maybe twice in the last two weeks. I'm staying away from people, especially elderly and those with conditions - my daughter-in-law has asthma and I won't go near her. This virus needs to be stopped by the people, not the govt. There's an idiot (I believe in Ky) who went to a freaking Coronavirus party and then tested positive. Trust me, there should be very little govt blame going around. People should be smarter than this.
Posts: 10342 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 07:38 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
Link

Like I said....get back with me in a couple weeks.

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2020 07:41 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We had our first death in this county recently. I think I know him. A 77 year old minister, last name Howton. Name not in obits yet. May be too soon.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 07:42 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You want it to get worse to prove a point? Sounds like the news media!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-28-2020 07:52 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One more thing: I was coerced (online) by a daughter and a brother, into downloading the Walmart app. My daughter placed our first order, and we picked it up between 4:00 and 5:00pm yesterday. worked like a charm. I had to notify them when we left to pick it up, and enable them to see my location. When we pulled into the designated parking spot, I got a text message from them, "You are here!". In less than a minute, a girl came out with our order. I popped the trunk lid and she loaded them. She came back to the window and asked if I wanted her to sign the receipt for me. She also flattered me by asking for my birth date, because there was a case of beer in the order. I did, and gave her a $2 tip, just because she was cute.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-28-2020 08:04 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm we have been ordering out every night and sending our dau out to pick it up and leaving a 7-8 dol tip to help out. Tonight I gave 10 dols . Figured the waitresses need all the help they can get...You did good with the Walmart girl!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-28-2020 08:07 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
You want it to get worse to prove a point? Sounds like the news media!
I wouldn't wish this on anybody for any reason...just trying to point out that this virus is not partisan...it don't give a damn who your governor is!

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com