TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Perspective

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Perspective
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-14-2020 04:12 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I urge y'all to take a look at this infographic.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-14-2020 08:24 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but....
Link

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-18-2020 12:46 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Informative reading, thanks to both of you.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9799 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-18-2020 07:31 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With all the closings and shutdowns, are we as a nation stopping the virus, or just slowing down the inevitable? If the answer is that we're just slowing it down, is that worse for the economy or better? Everything I've read tells me this virus is (for the most part) just lethal to people with underlying health conditions, same as many other viruses that have been around for years.
Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-18-2020 08:26 AM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an appointment to see my regular doctor at 10:30 this morning for a follow-up of a myocardial infarction that happened in December. I would usually not be concerned about this, even in the flu season, but all the news and hype has me concerned. I do plan on going to the appointment, but I will not pick up magazines or the Bible in the waiting room to read while I am there. I did have the Asian flu in 1957 when I was in college at Harding College in Arkansas, and had no complications, but many of us were hospitalized because we were living in dorms and had no one to care for us otherwise
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-19-2020 02:40 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were no other patients in his waiting room. He said many people were concerned about the virus and were not coming to see him.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-19-2020 04:30 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't say I blame 'em....Doc probably don't either.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-19-2020 04:41 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dr Clyde, hope your appointment went well.

[ 03-19-2020, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5409 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-19-2020 07:35 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Handycat.

He says I am doing well enough, but he just does not want me to do anything much.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-19-2020 10:51 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good news, Clydeh. My local healthcare group has cancelled most routine appointments, the affiliated hospital has a black quarantine 'testing' tent in the parking lot, and they just confirmed the first case of COVID-19 today.

We are preparing for the apocolypse here in Terre Haute, Indiana. [Eek!]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-20-2020 11:14 AM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was a student at Harding College in Arkansas in 1957 when the Asian flu was a big problem. Those of us who got the flu and were living in the dorms were hospitalized because we had no one to care for us. I don't think the United States made such a major reaction as now, but it might have been a good idea.
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-20-2020 06:20 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clyde, I'm not the greatest mathematician in the world, but that easily puts you up into your 80's?

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-20-2020 06:42 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know exactly where Harding College is. When I go trout fishing near Heber Springs, I pass right by there. The town name is Searcy, but unless you pronounce it 'Sircy', the locals look at you like you are from another planet! I used to go 4 or 5 times a year, but since Millie is legally blind and can't drive, I can't leave her alone. I can get her sister or one of our daughters to come stay with her once or twice a year now. I plan on going next month if this danged virus has died down.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-20-2020 06:53 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
According to graphics posted elsewhere on tcd, the Asian flu killed up to 1.1 million worldwide..

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-20-2020 10:24 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am now eighty and will be eighty-one next month if I am still alive then.

Harding is a private school and my parents would usually not have the funds to send me to a private school. However, the tuition at that time was cheap and I did not know why until just recently.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-21-2020 08:28 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have a former colleague who graduated from Harding. I also know Harding professionally, as they use the software that I also supported in my role at Rose-Hulman (and I still support as a consultant).

Very nice college, highly regarded.

Why was the tuition cheap, Clydeh?

--------------------
Tiptree

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-21-2020 10:54 AM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I didn't know this information about Harding until a few years ago. I enjoy listening to the Harding chorus and can find them on the internet. One time I searched for the chorus, and when I clicked the name Harding chorus, a site came up entitled "Harding and Elvis".
Harding was a very conservative school when I was a student there, and I wondered if the school had been opposed to Elvis in some way.
However, when I later read the article, I learned that Harding owned a radio station in Memphis, and they had a young disc jockey and he played a song by Elvis before he was popular. Apparently this created much publicity for the station, and Harding sold it in 1954 for 3 million dollars. That was a huge amount of money at that time, and I assume that Harding used that money to decrease tuition.
I now jokingly tell people that Elvis sent me to Harding.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-21-2020 11:31 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ha! Great story. [Smile]

Yes, a $3M endowment in 1957 invested conservatively could be worth about $2.8B today. That could power a small college for a long, long time.

--------------------
Tiptree

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-21-2020 07:07 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope that disk jockey got a nice raise !!!

MEL

[ 03-21-2020, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: MEL ]

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-21-2020 07:40 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know any of the details but he deserved a raise if he was still around. I was surprised when I saw the site "Harding and Elvis" that Harding did not protest or do something negative. I was a fan of Elvis at that time, but I didn't know anything about this history.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com