TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Coronavirus (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Coronavirus
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-22-2020 03:27 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
American basketball players have just returned to China to get ready for the Chinese basketball association to start back up. It is reported that China hasn't had a new case of the virus in three days. Like Tip said, this will pass.

[ 03-22-2020, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-22-2020 03:52 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC:
quote:
China hasn't had a new case of the virus in three days.
Good for China!....Great for China! With all do respect, get back with me when "no new cases" are reported in the US....particularly Alabama.

[ 03-22-2020, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-22-2020 04:53 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM, I'll keep you posted.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-22-2020 04:57 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry PC...didn't mean to sound like an ass.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-22-2020 07:50 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No worries, MM. It's all good. [Smile]
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-22-2020 08:29 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We got word today that a friend’s younger brother in Ky has passed away from coronavirus. I didn’t know him as he was several years younger than my friend. He was somewhere south of 70, reasonably good health and was gone in a few days. No funeral. Unfortunately, this may become common place. I think I’ll stop complaining about being locked in.
Posts: 5398 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-22-2020 08:57 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handy, I've also been complaining, but I am complaining much less than I was. Our family is watching out for us. My daughter and daughter-in-law just brought us in some groceries that should last us several days.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-22-2020 10:43 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We've had four offers to go to the grocery for us, a nephew, a grandson and two neighbors. So far we are good, but I have all their phone numbers! The grandson is the most closely related, but he lives the furthest away.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-23-2020 05:56 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Our daughter and son our both insisting they go to the store for us. So far we have resisted. We have no reported cases in our county yet the entire state is in lockdown. I really need to make a trip to the hardware store as my wife has made a honey do list. They have been allowed to remain open.

Like I said, I guess I should count my blessings and quit complaining.

I have a few masks I wear when I do yard work. Does anyone know if they provide any protection?

[ 03-23-2020, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-23-2020 06:17 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They do provide protection. The 3m masks that have been used for years in the construction trade have been released to be used for this situation. I don't think they had taken the time to push them through regulations to see if they were safe and reliable, but, they've broken through the red tape to allow them to be used.
I've been seeing on line where people are making their own out of cotton cloth!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123982 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-23-2020 06:51 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:
quote:
I have a few masks I wear when I do yard work. Does anyone know if they provide any protection?
Look for N95 on the packaging or mask...these are the most effective, and the ones in high demand.

I bought a new box for my woodworking just before the chit hit the fan....close call.

As long as you keep a safe distance from other people any kind will work ok.

The biggest protection a mask will give you is that it keeps your hands away from your nose and mouth.

On the average we touch our face over 20 times an hour.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-26-2020 07:23 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update:

We are now the most infected nation on the planet...over 81,000 confirmed cases.

That's the good news. The bad news? This is where we were two weeks ago...that's how far behind our testing and contact tracing is.

Something else a little disturbing....The first confirmed case in the US was Jan. 21, same day as South Korea's first confirmed case.

[ 03-26-2020, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-26-2020 11:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
...and Italy is not too far behind. Heck, if you add up all the European nations, they have over 260,000 cases -- over triple our number for roughly the same population. NOT good.

Take a look at the map from Johns Hopkins university. A few days ago most of the US was open... only NY, FL, and LA were big red circles. NOW... most of the Eastern half of the country is a sea of red.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

[ 03-26-2020, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13621 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-26-2020 11:47 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was just announced in Tuscaloosa starting Sun 10pm total 24/7 lockdown except for essentials....not one damn bit good!

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-02-2020 09:27 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On March 1st the US had one death. On April 1st over 1000... per day!

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-02-2020 12:16 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
On March 1st the US had one death. On April 1st over 1000... per day!

So MM you are saying there have been over 30,000 deaths from the corona)virus the US … Everything I am reading (CDC) has the total US deaths around 5,000. That is quite a bit of difference. Where are you getting your information ???

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-02-2020 12:35 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
113 thousand people have recovered from the virus which is 98.2 percent that is what should be reported.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-02-2020 12:36 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MEL:
quote:
So MM you are saying there have been over 30,000 deaths from the corona)virus the US … Everything I am reading (CDC) has the total US deaths around 5,000. That is quite a bit of difference. Where are you getting your information ???

We reached 1000 deaths in one day yesterday, and that number is headed straight up. We could hit 1500 a day before the week is out....30,000 total deaths is just around the corner!

[ 04-02-2020, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-02-2020 12:57 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
]Johns Hopkins University coronavirus COVID-19 tracker has tallied more than 202,000 recoveries since the virus was first detected in Wuhan, the capital city of China’s Hubei province, in late December.

In the United States, which leads the world in confirmed coronavirus cases with more than 216,000, more than 8,700 patients have made recoveries so far.

China has seen more than 76,000 recoveries out of its more than 82,000 cases, while Italy has had more than 16,000 recoveries out of its more than 110,000 cases. Spain has tallied more than 26,000 patients who have recovered.

While the disease can cause varying degrees of illness and even death, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) say adults aged 65 and older, and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions such as heart and lung disease or diabetes, might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

But for the majority of people who become infected, the coronavirus brings only mild symptoms, such as cough and fever.

WHO says those that experience mild symptoms typically recover from the illness in about two weeks, while those who experience more severe illness could take up to six weeks to recover.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-02-2020 04:22 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Don't believe a word cdc says - they are the propaganda arm of the Chinese...

[ 04-02-2020, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-02-2020 04:56 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed,

There is the Chinese version of the CDC, which one certainly must be wary of. But the CDC is the Center for Disease Control, based in Atlanta, and is hardly an organ for Chinese propaganda. In fact, I trust it, and John Hopkins university's COVID site, more than I trust WHO.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-02-2020 07:10 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The question I have is this, are they dying from the virus, or are they dying with the virus?

There's a big difference!

--------------------

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-02-2020 07:11 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To follow up on the above question, has the number of deaths due to the flu dropped now that the Virus numbers have started going up?

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-02-2020 10:36 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry I meant the W.H.O even though the CDC hasn't been very forthcoming until later in what is going on (at least as I understand it)...

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-03-2020 10:07 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed:
quote:
the CDC hasn't been very forthcoming until later
??

--------------------

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 04-03-2020 02:39 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The federal agency's message comes roughly two months after the virus was first reported in central China. Known officially as COVID-19, the coronavirus has infected nearly 80,000 people in 37 countries and led to at least 2,600 deaths.

I had read this sometime ago and the cdc among others didn't think it was a big deal until later on..

To their credit however, they did go on and ack trumps actions helped the spread in the u.s.

MM just my take - could be totally wrong!

p.s. it is the W H O who carries the water for China!!

[ 04-03-2020, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-03-2020 11:44 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This virus didn't blindside us any more than any other country, yet our response (if you can call it that) is a joke.

It's been 10 weeks since our first confirmed case and 1400 (and counting) people died just today, doctors and nurses still don't have PPE, states still fighting one another and FEMA for supplies, strategic stockpile depleted, no coordination what. so. ever!

We, The United States of America, are looking like a 3rd world country.

Update:

1480 people have died in the US in a 24-hour period...the most of any country in the world by far. [Frown]

[ 04-04-2020, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-04-2020 09:37 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"1480 people have died in the US in a 24-hour period...the most of any country in the world by far."

Methinks China's real death toll from this, far exceeds what they are saying. By the way, what do you think we should have, or could have done differently.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-04-2020 11:11 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The death toll in the US will reach numbers that it shouldn't have to. Half of the American people are thoughtless, selfish, arrogant, entitled people who are still out partying, shopping, going about their daily lives like nothing is happening. China is getting by this because they can control their people. Our country was simply unprepared for what is going on right now. It's easy to blame the government for this (and for the most part, rightfully so), but the citizens of this country are way more to blame for the spread of this virus than the government is.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-04-2020 11:28 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
Methinks China's real death toll from this, far exceeds what they are saying
I don't doubt that one iota, Norm. But that's China, we're used to, even expect, misinformation and lack of transparency from them....It should not shock us at all.

quote:
By the way, what do you think we should have, or could have done differently.
With the benefit of hindsight it is obvious where, when, and why we have failed to control the virus...many instances where we could have and should have done things differently.

Downplaying the seriousness and failing to act early was the biggest mistake of all...we lost too much precious time to prepare. We started out behind and have been getting more and more behind ever since.

This is Trump's mistake! But I want to qualify that.

When the virus first appeared in the US (Jan 20) nobody imagined it would explode like it has. The economy was doing great, we were gearing up for a robust political campaign and election...the country was on sound financial footing.

The last thing Trump wanted to do was to unnecessarily cause a nation-wide panic...I get that, I do. Given the circumstances at the time I probably would have made the same decision.

But sometimes the most logical and sensible decisions turn out to be wrong...as this one did. That's why you need a contingency plan...you know, just in case you're wrong.

The concept of being wrong doesn't exist with this President...never! So, we are where we are.

A question for you.

If we could go back and start over, and you were President, would you do anything differently?

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-04-2020 11:51 AM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM,
When the Asiatic flue was an epidemic in this country in the late fifties, I don't remember anything was done nationally to stop the spread. Eisenhower was president as I recall. I was in college. I know many people died. With the government's action this time to control this virus spread, I wonder if the actions will be worse than the virus. Back in the fifties we did not have the news organizations focusing on the flu like they are focusing on the present virus. The continuous news reports have people afraid, including me. My children are warning my wife and me every day to stay safe and stay at home.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 04-04-2020 12:08 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
"If we could go back and start over, and you were President, would you do anything differently?"

I can't find in your post where you answered this questions, yet you want me to answer? The president banned travel from China very early, and many of his opponents, you know who they are, raised holy Hell. It wouldn't make a damn bit of difference what he does or doesn't do. The media and the usual crowd would condemn and blame him.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-04-2020 12:11 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clydeh:
quote:
With the government's action this time to control this virus spread, I wonder if the actions will be worse than the virus.
I don't what could be worse than the virus, it is the root of our problems after all.

It's the government's inaction that has worsened the problem.

--------------------

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-04-2020 12:20 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:
I can't find in your post where you answered this questions, yet you want me to answer?
I answered clearly what I thought was our biggest mistake without going into a day-by-day account.

I ask you one question...would you do anything differently?

quote:
It wouldn't make a damn bit of difference what he does or doesn't do. The media and the usual crowd would condemn and blame him.
That comes with the territory no matter who is president.

[ 04-04-2020, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 04-04-2020 12:40 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM,
What I was thinking on my last post was whether the actions of the government would be worse than the virus. I understand that the virus is serious and is causing deaths and misery, particularly in us old people. I certainly don't want my wife and me to get it. I meant whether the "treatment was worse than the disease", considering all the effects on the economy. There are occasions in medical care where i think the "treatment is worse than the disease". I do think the governments' actions (state and federal) will decrease the spread of this virus.

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-04-2020 01:08 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
clydeh:
quote:
With the government's action this time to control this virus spread, I wonder if the actions will be worse than the virus.

I wonder the same thing. Throughout history we have had pandemic’s (plagues) Some of them far, far worse than the consequences this one would be even without the intervention of modern medicine. Depending on who you believe, the mortality rate hovers around 1%. Peanuts compared to many of the illnesses that have previously ravaged our planet. To use less than everything we have available in our arsenal of modern medicine would be criminal. A little dose of common sense would also be helpful. But it honestly appears to me we are getting close to where the cure may be worse than the disease itself.

Most agree this disease is primarily fatal to older people (myself) and those with underlying health issues (myself). I’m certainly not trying to be macho and do not have a death wish but we all have to die. I’m almost to the point of taking my chances and get on with life.

IMO, Trump has handled this as well can be expected. His preparedness for this, or lack of, is not his fault. It is also not the fault of any of his predecessors.

[ 04-04-2020, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-04-2020 01:22 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
When the virus first appeared in the US (Jan 20) nobody imagined it would explode like it has. The economy was doing great, we were gearing up for a robust political campaign and election...the country was on sound financial footing.
I think you are missing one very, very important thing... the entire government was embroiled in the ridiculous, spurious, and entirely political grandstanding called an "Impeachment trial". No bills were being passed, no planning was being done, because the democratic party needed a vehicle to vindicate its haplessness.

If you want to blame a person, blame Schiff and Pelosi. They distracted the entire nation on the flimsiest of evidence, and that show-trial started on January 16th.

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-04-2020 02:26 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
I think you are missing one very, very important thing... the entire government was embroiled in the ridiculous, spurious, and entirely political grandstanding called an "Impeachment trial". No bills were being passed, no planning was being done, because the democratic party needed a vehicle to vindicate its haplessness.

If you want to blame a person, blame Schiff and Pelosi. They distracted the entire nation on the flimsiest of evidence, and that show-trial started on January 16th.

C'on Tip, even Trump don't buy that.

“I don’t think I would have done better had I not been impeached, OK?” Trump said. “And I think that’s a great tribute to something. Maybe it’s a tribute to me. But I don’t think I would’ve acted any differently or I don’t think I would’ve acted any faster.”

[ 04-04-2020, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-04-2020 03:05 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Take your laser-like focus off of Trump, man. I said every part of our government pretty much ground to a halt during the impeachment.

Trump never thinks he did anything poorly.

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 04-04-2020 04:38 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
Take your laser-like focus off of Trump, man. I said every part of our government pretty much ground to a halt during the impeachment.

Except for the HoR, Trump is the government!

The Senate acquitted Trump on Feb 5...two months ago.

The first thing they did was take a 5-day weekend.

The first thing they did upon their return was affirm federal judges, Mitch McConnell's number one item on his bucket list.

Trump played golf and held rallies while downplaying the virus.

I guess the distraction hadn't totally worn off yet?

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com