TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Coronavirus (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Coronavirus
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-03-2020 11:01 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know about you guys but this thing has me worried. I just read this morning about 2 new cases in Georgia, that's right next door to me...all the way from China.

It is spreading like wildfire in highly developed countries (Japan, S. Korea, etc.) that have access to all modern medicine has to offer and still can't seem to slow it down.

I already have severe breathing problems from my days in the mines so I sure as hell don't need this. [Frown]

Thoughts?

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 03-03-2020 01:00 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not demeaning the seriousness of it, but the flu has killed more people than the coronavirus, the last couple of months.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9779 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-03-2020 01:24 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rlt:

quote:
I'm not demeaning the seriousness of it, but the flu has killed more people than the coronavirus, the last couple of months.
True. This sucker is just really getting cranked up though, especially in the US. Not panicking, but damn sure plenty concerned.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-03-2020 03:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The fatality rate is considerably higher than for most influenza strains, which are typically around a tenth of a percent. For this one, it seems to be closer to 2% -- 20 times higher than normal.

My company just cancelled an upcoming conference where about 8,000 people from around the world meet to learn about our software. I am sure that many people will be upset about the fees to cancel flights and such, and my company will lose a TON of money from this, but it was the right thing to do.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13617 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-03-2020 06:00 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM … just make sure you aren't drinking Corona beer !!! I heard that is where it is coming from (really... some idiot hear told a policeman he was worried about getting it because he drank Corona beer) !!! lol

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-03-2020 06:39 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not as worried now that I've heard some things about it. Not trying top down play it, but it's basically just another strain of a virus that we have had in the US for years. My hope is that they figure out a way to combat it like they have all the others. I'm sure the elderly and people with underlying medical conditions are at a higher risk though. But I will take precautions, do doubt about it.

Plus, if Bloomberg wins the presidency he'll be able to take care of it, at least according to the radio commercials I've been hearing 24/7.

Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-04-2020 12:11 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC … of course he will, it will be over and done with by the time he became president … lol
Everyone has the answer when they are the one that isn't making the decisions !!! I am sure Bernie can fix everything also by taking our money to fix it like everything else he wants to do !!! [Frown]

MEL

CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-06-2020 11:05 AM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure about this virus, fellas. Yes, the "flu" is much more prevalent, and kills a lot more folks, but this virus strain is relatively unknown, and it's so early in the process we just don't have a lot of solid info on it. We know it's able to be passed from human to human, and folks who have had it and recovered still show symptoms. It's not like most virus attacks, where once you get it, your body creates antibodies resulting in an immunity. This strain is particularly harmful, of course, to the young/old, or anyone with compromised immune systems. The mortality rate I've seen range from 2-4% total, with much higher rates in the sick or elderly. I'm not prepared to say it's a pandemic, but it's interesting to see cities like Seattle just buy a hotel and use it to quarantine as many people as they can fit in there. I've told my dad (77) to stay home and just take care of the farm for a while. He won't listen, but that's my advice!

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 03-06-2020 12:00 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
I don't know about you guys but this thing has me worried. I just read this morning about 2 new cases in Georgia, that's right next door to me...all the way from China.

It is spreading like wildfire in highly developed countries (Japan, S. Korea, etc.) that have access to all modern medicine has to offer and still can't seem to slow it down.

I already have severe breathing problems from my days in the mines so I sure as hell don't need this. [Frown]

Thoughts?

This morning, we are being told that there may be a third case in Rome, GA. That is about 40 miles north of me.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2252 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-06-2020 12:29 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just heard there is now a confirmed case in Indiana.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-06-2020 04:54 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last count I heard was 21 states infected...shortage of testing kits or this number would be much higher...Nobody knows really.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-06-2020 08:52 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It will quickly reach all states, just as the flu does every year. And, because it is transmitted primarily by body fluids, simple precautions like thoroughly washing your hands (at least 20 seconds, being careful to get under the nails and between the fingers) are effective at reducing the risk of transmission.

But, it is far more lethal than the flu. Only the 1918 "Spanish Flu" was more lethal than this one, but that was a true killer that felled millions around the world. Don't trifle with this, but at the same time, don't let fear cripple you.

I am ready to believe the suspicions that this one emerged from a Chinese bio-warfare lab. It isn't a true killer virus, but it sure is different from the cold or flu viruses. After all is said and done, I think the Chinese are going to have to answer to this.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-07-2020 04:24 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Update: This virus is actually MORE lethal than the 1918 flu! And it is more contagious.

I think things are going to get worse over the next few months. Take good precautions, and WASH YOUR HANDS much longer, and more frequently, than you think you need to.

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-08-2020 11:38 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
Update: This virus is actually MORE lethal than the 1918 flu! And it is more contagious.
The scary thing is you don't have to come in contact with an infected person...just going where an infected has been and touching any object they were in contact with is enough.

Like Tip said: WASH YOUR HANDS! OFTEN AND THOROUGHLY!

[ 03-08-2020, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-09-2020 11:57 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
I just heard there is now a confirmed case in Indiana.

My niece is doing her final nursing rotation at Community North Hospital where the diagnosis was confirmed.

[ 03-09-2020, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-09-2020 12:30 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I cannot confirm this, but my wife said a guy at her work is working from home because his brother-in-law is one of the confirmed Ky. cases and the guy was with him recently. This thing is spreading like wildfire.
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 03-09-2020 03:52 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's definitely going to get worse before it gets better, fellas. Especially now that there are more test kits being utilized, we'll definitely have more 'confirmed cases' than before. If I were retired, I'd stay home as much as I could, at least for the next month or so.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-09-2020 10:29 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's 3 miles from my house now. We have a confirmed case here in Kendallville, IN. They are in isolation at the local hospital.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11567 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-09-2020 11:26 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That’s way too close for me. This stuff can not only show up in your hometown tomorrow.....it can show up at your house.

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-11-2020 08:57 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Friday I’ll be 74, I’m diabetic, had one heart attack and other heart problems along with a variety of old man ailments. In other words, the effects of this virus would be potentially disastrous for this old fellow.

However, I believe throwing all sorts of money to various groups and individuals is far worse for our country in the long run than letting this disease run it’s course, within reason. Spend what’s necessary for control/cure but don’t give a nickel for bailouts of any kind. It seems like all that our government wants to do is increase the national debt by giving hand outs. Didn’t work in the past and I believe it’s a mistake now.

They say the best defense against this virus is to wash your hands regularly. If this is true I’ll be fine. I’ve washed my hands twice a week since I was a kid.

[ 03-11-2020, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5396 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-11-2020 10:18 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great post Handy !!!

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-11-2020 10:35 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like you, hc, I'm on the north side of 70 and also have diabetes along with chronic bronchitis and a few other issues I could do without.

So, for me, whatever action the gov't takes to combat this virus I'm for.

I don't look at it as a bailout. This is not about Wall Street greed, bad economic policy, or partisan politics...this is literally life or death for untold thousands of Americans...Covid-19 is not the flu...it is many times more lethal.

Washing your hands is always a good idea-it helps, but that's all...it won't stop it alone.

We have no clue how widespread it is because we are so far behind on testing. When testing ramps up the numbers are going to skyrocket.

The NBA just suspended the rest of the season until further notice. This is just the beginning...look for others to follow suit.

It's just getting started guys...the worst is yet to come.

[ 03-12-2020, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-12-2020 01:53 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From a member of the Stanford Hospital board:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - CORONAVIRUS

1. If you have a runny nose and sputum, you have a common cold

2. Coronavirus pneumonia is a dry cough with no runny nose.

3. This new virus is not heat-resistant and will be killed by a temperature of just 26/27 degrees Celsius (79-80 degrees Farenheit). It hates the Sun.

4. If someone sneezes with it, it takes about 10 feet before it drops to the ground and is no longer airborne.

5. If it drops on a metal surface it will live for at least 12 hours - so if you come into contact with any metal surface - wash your hands as soon as you can with a bacterial soap.

6. On fabric it can survive for 6-12 hours. normal laundry detergent will kill it.

7. Drinking warm water is effective for all viruses. Try not to drink liquids with ice.

8. Wash your hands frequently as the virus can only live on your hands for 5-10 minutes, but - a lot can happen during that time - you can rub your eyes, pick your nose unwittingly and so on.

9. You should also gargle as a prevention. A simple solution of salt in warm water will suffice.

10. Can't emphasis enough - drink plenty of water!

THE SYMPTOMS

1. It will first infect the throat, so you'll have a sore throat lasting 3/4 days

2. The virus then blends into a nasal fluid that enters the trachea and then the lungs, causing pneumonia. This takes about 5/6 days further.

3. With the pneumonia comes high fever and difficulty in breathing.

4. The nasal congestion is not like the normal kind. You feel like you're drowning. It's imperative you then seek immediate attention.

Serious excellent advice by Japanese doctors treating COVID-19 cases:
Everyone should ensure your mouth & throat are moist, never dry. Take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Why? Even if the virus gets into your mouth, drinking water or other liquids will wash them down through your throat and into the stomach. Once there, your stomach acid will kill all the virus. If you don't drink enough water more regularly, the virus can enter your windpipe and into the lungs. That's very dangerous. Please send and share this with family and friends. Take care everyone and may the world recover from this Coronavirus soon.

A Simple Self-Test
The new Coronavirus may not show sign of infection for many days. How can one know if he/she is infected? By the time they have fever and/or cough and go to the hospital, the lung is usually 50% Fibrosis and it's too late (Fibrosis is not reversible). Taiwan experts provide a simple self-check that we can do every morning. Take a deep breath and hold your breath for more than 10 seconds. If you complete it successfully without coughing, without discomfort, stiffness or tightness, etc., it proves there is no Fibrosis in the lungs, basically indicates no infection. In critical times, please self-check every morning in an environment with clean air.

--------------------
Tiptree

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-12-2020 04:46 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you Tip !!!

MEL

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-12-2020 11:14 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MY biggest question about canceling everything under the sun is … do the powers that be think people are gonna stay in their houses and not go out ??? People are still gonna go shopping, to the movies, out to eat etc. I hate when the media pushes stuff down our throats and we are expected to believe what they say !!! Follow what Tip posted and just be smart and everything will come out in the wash !!!

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-12-2020 11:33 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MEL:
quote:
I hate when the media pushes stuff down our throats and we are expected to believe what they say !!!
You serious?

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-13-2020 12:19 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes I am ... did you hear on main stream video how many have died in Washington State ??? 31 and 23 are from the same nursing home but the media I have heard doesn't mention that … just that there are X number of deaths. If 23 of 31 in that state are in one nursing home don't you think we should know the facts not just the numbers ??? The media is spreading panic that doesn't need to be spread. Just be smart and wash your hands and drink lots of water and not be scared to go about your normal life. If you are elderly or have respiratory problems then don't go out in public if that makes you feel safer, but if you are healthy and have a good immune system then just be smart and go on with your life.
In my opinion the media is spreading panic and people are swallowing it … toilet paper shelfs are empty (WHY ???)…
People are going to go out in public … remember it is an election year and things get all out of sorts during this time (and before you say anything about which group I will say it comes from both parties and whoever it helps more is more into it) again my opinion.

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-13-2020 01:21 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Airlines, Hotels, Schools, conventions, international travel bans, sporting events, campaign rallies, etc, etc, etc...shutting down...unprecedented!

Do you think this is not happening?....that this is just media hysteria? When does UNC play next in the ACC tourney?

These are $BILLION decisions! They were not made easily, and certainly not without the facts.

America is facing a public health crisis that we are woefully unprepared for....and we need to get that fixed...quick!

--------------------

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-13-2020 12:38 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mr. Trump may have to wave his magic wand again!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-13-2020 01:36 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm:
quote:

Why hasn't he already?

--------------------

Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 03-13-2020 02:17 PM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why hasn't he already?

How do you know he hasn't? if you depend on the Lame Stream Media to report anything positive about Mr. Trump you'll never hear it.

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-13-2020 02:40 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anybody have a recipe to make toilet paper out of cauliflower? No TP left in my town. Raw cauliflower does not seem to work well. People are starting to avoid me.

[ 03-13-2020, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-13-2020 03:12 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always said the govt should replace the cigarette and alcohol tax with a toilet paper tax. That way you hit everyone, not just smokers and drinkers.

On second thought, a lot of people would stop wiping their @sses. We better stick with the original plan.

[ 03-13-2020, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-13-2020 03:34 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My church (Highway 157 Church of Christ) has the Lord's Supper each Sunday. There are plans about how to keep the bread and grape juice from being contaminated by any member who might have the virus and not know it.
This concern about this virus is so much more than the flu.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-13-2020 03:55 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jarcat:
quote:
Why hasn't he already?

How do you know he hasn't?

No evidence!

[ 03-13-2020, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-14-2020 09:01 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Went to Walmart this morning very early to pick up just a few items. Thought I was early enough to beat the crowds. WRONG! No eggs, bread, etc. Self check out lanes were the only ones open. They were backed up 6 deep with folks that had rounded over shopping carts. Lady in my line was coughing and blowing. She received too many dirty looks to count. I also saw at least two people who looked like they have started to turn.

I’ve read a ton on novels on the apocalypse and am an avid fan of the walking dead so I consider myself an expert on Zombie outbreaks. Remember, you have to shoot those who have turned in the head. All other points is simply a waste of ammo.

The end is near.

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-14-2020 09:39 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:
quote:
Lady in my line was coughing and blowing.
I've never really had a problem with ladies blowing, but I don't think I would stand in line for it though. [Wink]

--------------------

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-14-2020 11:16 AM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MountainMafia:
hc:
quote:
Lady in my line was coughing and blowing.
I've never really had a problem with ladies blowing, but I don't think I would stand in line for it though. [Wink]
Now that's funny MM !!!

MEL

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-14-2020 11:56 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel & M&M, this is a serious topic and you both need to stop it. You guys are lucky I’m not a moderator as there would be serious consequences for this.
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 03-14-2020 01:16 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am serious, hc. I wouldn't stand in line, but I would get up early enough next morning that I wouldn't have to. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are ET
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com