TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Air Base in Iraq

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air Base in Iraq
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-06-2020 04:53 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If we must leave Iraq, the president has demanded they they pay us back for an unnamed "expensive air base". Of course they have basically said "No way in Hell". One of my coffee drinking buddies has an idea. He said if they refuse, which they will, we should send about four bombers over there with non-nuclear bombs, and after evacuating the base (or bases), leave them as a pile of rubble, and say, "There you go. They are all yours." Thoughts?

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 01-06-2020 06:31 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sounds good to me or just set charges to go off after we leave … maybe even leave booby trap IED's like they do for our soldiers !!!

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 01-06-2020 06:35 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We should render them useless some way. If not, Iran or Russia will be glad to take them over.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-06-2020 10:10 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of Norms, but I would one-up it. Destroy the base with non-nuclear munitions delivered by B2s launched from the US... just as a reminder of our capabilities. Then send in some helicopters and drop napalm to scorch the earth in a giant message that reads "F*CK YOU ALL. LOVE, UNCLE SAM".

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-06-2020 10:13 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BTW, the 'resolution' to demand the US leave Iraq was by their parliament, and is non-binding. Only the executive branch can order such an action. It may still happen, but the executive branch is more US-friendly, while the parliament reflects the fact that Iran is majority Shi'ite, and the Shi'ites by and large take their marching orders from Iran.

But if they do ask us to leave, see my previous post. And if we go, good riddance!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-08-2020 09:23 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, Iran lobbed a dozen or more ballistic missiles at us. No word yet of damage reports, but it was more theatrics than revenge. I think they understand that their options are limited.

We took out one of their most effective organizers and coordinators of various 'bad guy' groups throughout the world, but particularly in Lebanon, Syria and Iraq. That will pay dividends for months, so we have a window of opportunity to leverage our strength and change the balance of power in the region. Since Obama pulled our forces out of Iraq, Iran has expanded their influence greatly in Iraq through the many Shi'ite militia, and have been supporting Assad in the bloody civil war in Syria. They already had a stranglehold on Lebanon via Hezbollah. For a while, it looked like they would be in a position to dominate the entire "fertile cresent", from the Mediterranean to the Arabian Sea.

But our economic sanctions have really crippled them, and Iran has been convulsing with many protests and uprisings. I don't think the Iranian people are happy that so much money is being spent abroad when the economic situation at home is so dire. This might be the catalyst for Iran to 'save face' and reduce their meddling in Syria and Iraq in exchange for reduced sanctions.

[ 01-08-2020, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-08-2020 09:48 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It appears like this may be the opportunity for all involved to stand down. If the reports are true that we had no casualty’s and limited damage, my hopes would be we would not retaliate. At this point, I applaud the president.
Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-08-2020 03:07 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is a good opportunity, and it seems Iran is signaling just that.

But the divisions and lack of central control within Iran are the problem. the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, of which the Quds force was the 'elite' group, always operates independently of the central authorities. They will plan their revenge and strike months, or even years later. My guess it will be an 'eye for an eye' strike, possibly an assassination.

--------------------
Tiptree

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com