TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Kentucky Southern Hospitality   » Civil Debate - Politics and Other Hot Button Topics   » Due Process

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Due Process
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-13-2018 10:05 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think we all agree how abhorrent domestic violence is and those guilty should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Nonetheless, Trump has a point. In today's environment all it takes is an accusation to completely ruin a person's life. Even if the accused is exonerated the residual stain (public perception) could follow someone the rest of their life.

[ 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-13-2018 11:27 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's the same way with sexual harassment. I know it happens, and happens a lot, but I think it is often a made up story, used for vindictive reasons.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-13-2018 12:33 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ditto for child abuse - I have been on these cases where one of the spouse's call it in as child abuse and really it is just to get even with the husband/wife!

But what happens is the spouse has a mark on his/her record and if another report comes in with another detective investigating he/she has one strike against him/her immediately..

[ 02-13-2018, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatFanInYankeeville
Player
Member # 2025

posted 02-13-2018 01:00 PM      Profile for CatFanInYankeeville     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I work as a paramedic in a city of 200,000 people. We work in 2 person teams, 24/7. If we are a male/male crew, we've started to wait for a crew with a female on it before we take patients who have a psychiatric/behavioral history that includes sexual misconduct, either on their part or if they've alleged it. This is not for emergency calls, but rather on transfers from a hospital to a psychiatric facility. We just can't take the risk of transporting these patients who can file a false claim against us. Even a ridiculous, no basis claim would effectively end our careers forever in this field.

--------------------
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian!” Henry Ford

Posts: 5563 | From: Eddyville at heart, Chicago in life | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2018 09:57 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, we have too many idiots in our country who are ready to put people in the electric chair based on a single allegation.
Posts: 10340 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-14-2018 11:22 AM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Whatever happened to Innocent until proven Guilty anymore. It seems the media try and convict people in their forum anymore. They rarely ever use the term alleged anymore, seems it is no longer in their vocabulary, especially when it comes to domestic abuse accusations.
Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2018 12:14 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The only time I see "alleged" used is when the guy is caught in the act! If you're actually caught in a bank, with a gun, with a stick=up note, robbing the back, then you're not a "suspect". You're friggin' guilty! [Smile]
ironrangetoo
Player
Member # 10205

posted 02-14-2018 05:43 PM      Profile for ironrangetoo   Email ironrangetoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
PC
Are there still systems that use the electric chair?????

Posts: 2008 | From: Ely MN | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 02-14-2018 06:34 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Google:
quote:

As of 2015, the only places in the world which still reserve the electric chair as an option for execution are the U.S. states of Alabama, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia. (Arkansas and Oklahoma laws provide for its use should lethal injection ever be held to be unconstitutional.)
quote:

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-15-2018 08:11 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess I never really thought about the electric chair being obsolete, but thanks SCWC for doing the research!

I don't know why the electric chair isn't used more. It's simple, easy to operate (just flip a switch) and doesn't cost much except for an occasional electric bill. I've heard in the past of "botched" episodes on the electric chair, but then I'll see in the news of an electrician killed instantly by working with electricity. I would think that if you zapped someone for just one second with about 10,00 volts that it would do the trick? What are these "botched" episodes - are they trying to use a 110 volt electric chair or something?

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-15-2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Voltage will not kill you. Amperage will. Most electric fences average around 7,500 volts. We were taught in the Air Force, that 150 milliamps can kill you. That is 15/100 of an amp.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-15-2018 11:52 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Same with Tasers!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-15-2018 01:43 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just looked up static charge from walking on carpet. If it's enough to generate an arc to a doorknob and make a sound, it's probably around 4,000 volts!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 02-15-2018 03:41 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I saw a friend of mind overseas get knocked across a room when the equip shorted and he got hit with bunch of amps... all kinds of voltage but amps got him - he did however survive.

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-16-2018 01:32 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Old Norm:
quote:
Voltage will not kill you
You can have voltage and not have amps, but you can not have amps without voltage. Given this, I would think that voltage could kill.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-16-2018 11:01 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MM, I was alluding to this: "I would think that if you zapped someone for just one second with about 10,00 volts that it would do the trick? What are these "botched" episodes - are they trying to use a 110 volt electric chair or something?" You are just trying to twist my words. Zapping someone with 1000 volts will NOT necessarily kill them. Voltage is the potential difference of electromotive force between two points. Amps is current strength. 1000 gallons of water has the potential of creating a lot of current. The water won't cause erosion but the current will.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-16-2018 11:33 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Norm is correct. Voltage is a form of potential energy, while current is kinetic energy. Voltage is the "push" that moves electrons, current is the actual motion of electrons. So, high voltage has the "potential" to push a lot of electrons, and thus create a lot of current.

If I held a 50lb rock 20 feet above your head, that rock has a lot of potential energy due to gravity. If I let the rock go, it would start to move (i.e., start gaining kinetic energy). As it fell to your head, it would have converted all the potential energy into kinetic, with a spectacular effect.

But there is another key element in electricity that mitigates the potential current that a high voltage might otherwise produce -- resistance. Resistance is like friction -- it dissipates the energy, diverting some to heat instead of to actual motion of electrons. The analog would be if that rock was still 20 feet above your head, but it had to fall through molasses to reach you. The "resistance" (friction) of the molasses would greatly reduce the speed of the rock as it falls.

So, high voltage and low current almost always implies a LOT of resistance is present. The human body has a lot of resistance, so using an electric chair to execute someone requires a LOT of voltage (connected to a source that can supply a LOT of current) to overcome that natural resistance. Most 'accidents' in the Chair were due to poorly connecting the electrodes, especially the ones on the skullcap. Poor connections mean high resistance, which in turns lowers the current. And it is the amount of current coursing through the brain that kills.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13618 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 02-17-2018 08:25 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know just enough about electricity to get myself in trouble so I'm not trying to debate people who know what they are talking about.

It just seems to me that voltage and current are inseparable. Amps are what kills but without voltage (the energy needed to deliver the amps) there is no harm, thus both are culpable.

Oh, btw Norm, I was not trying to "twist" your words.

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 02-17-2018 09:31 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
All I really know about electricity coming from my end of things, It takes ALOT of water and coal to make it! At least that's what's required at the plant where I work!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123978 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com