TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Professional Sports Talk   » Professional Sports   » Playoff Rondo

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Playoff Rondo
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-04-2020 11:14 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Playoff Rondo had struck again.

"I had heard about it, but in 2018, against Portland, that's when I knew he was different," says L.A. teammate Davis, who alongside Rondo with the New Orleans Pelicans eliminated the Trail Blazers from the playoffs that year. "He kind of reminds me of Bron [LeBron James]. Mentally, he locks in. He watches three to four previous games and breaks down their schemes: their offense, what this guy likes to do, what they like to run, when they like to run it, who they are running it for."

The origin of Playoff Rondo traces back to a young, unbridled, stubborn talent aiming to be a Celtics lifer. He was easy to overlook on the star-studded Boston roster -- until the postseason, when he unveiled a clutch shot, a key assist or a gutsy charge that would tip the scales. Former Celtics teammate Leon Powe says he remembers hearing "Playoff Rondo" for the first time in 2010, when Powe was playing with the Cleveland Cavaliers against Boston in the Eastern Conference semifinals.

"I'm pretty sure Perk started it," Powe says, "'cause when Rondo was destroying us, Perk kept shouting, 'Playoff Rondo!'"

"Might have been me," muses Kendrick Perkins, who remains one of Rondo's closest confidants. "I did call him that a lot, because he has a history of turning it on for the playoffs.

"His mindset reminds me of [former Lakers guard] Derek Fisher, who would go from scoring eight, nine points a night in the regular season, then all of a sudden pop off for 16 in a big playoff game."

Rondo has averaged 9.1 assists per game in the playoffs during his career. Among players to play 50 postseason games, only Magic Johnson (12.3) and John Stockton (10.1) have averaged more, per ESPN Stats & Information research. And according to Second Spectrum data, Rondo is shooting 46% on jumpers this postseason, up from 34% during the regular season. In fact, his numbers swell in every statistical category once the playoffs begin.

Link

[ 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 10-05-2020 10:21 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think that Rondo and I went to the same high school (Eastern High School) in Middletown, KY. However, it was MANY years after I graduated. I'm still proud of that.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 10-06-2020 11:38 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Clydeh, He is a special player for sure, The surprising thing about him is he hasn't lost much of his speed and quickness.

[ 10-12-2020, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com