TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Professional Sports Talk   » Professional Sports   » NBA

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NBA
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-11-2019 10:10 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I watched the entire Warriors/Raptors game last night. I've probably watched less than five NBA games since Mashburn played for Dallas. Needless to say, nothing has changed. This game was nothing more than a 3-point shooting contest.
Inside the arc there was not much action, and there was very little talent.

Last night was supposedly the two best teams in the NBA. If this is true then I need to rethink my "he's not ready for the NBA" statement I make each year regarding UK players. The NBA sure isn't what it used to be twenty years ago.

Posts: 10344 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-11-2019 11:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow. I was going to post just the opposite.

I watched the first three games. I did NOT see game four, so I can't comment on it. My observations are:

(1) Defense has been surprisingly dominant. These games are very physical, and when the ball goes into the paint, bodies fly. This might be why your perception was that it turned into a 3-point contest.

(2) Golden State has always featured the 3-point shot, but Toronto was able to beat them handily in that regard.

(3) Golden State is really, really beat up. I was surprised to see that they pulled out game 5.

Watching the games, it is clear that players like Boogie are not as important as players like Durant and Green. Cal's 'positionless' idea reflects the state of the NBA. I found the games I watched very reminiscent of the NBA of the 80s, which is a good thing.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-11-2019 03:14 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That just goes to show you, Tip, how people's perceptions of things can be so different. I thought that other than the 3-pointer, it was unentertaining, unskilled basketball.

You are right about Cousins and the fact that the center position we grew up with is practically gone. The days of Kareem, Akeem, Ewing, Purdue, Parish and other players like them are gone.

Posts: 10344 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 06-11-2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Magic, Bird, and Jordan could all play in today's NBA and thrive. Magic could (and did!) play all five positions, Bird looks a lot like Durant, and Jordan could play the 1, 2, or 3 spot (even the 4 if a team goes small ball). The legends are always the most versatile players of their era.

[ 06-11-2019, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com