TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Sad observation

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sad observation
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 01-29-2023 12:26 PM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Been following UK basketball since seeing my first game at Memorial Coliseum in 1965 when I attended UK. I have lived through numerous frustrating seasons with Sutton, Gillipise, Tubby, Joe B. in charge, but ever have felt so frustrated with Cal in control. But that is not the major sadness I feel currently. The anger, hatred, ugliness written about some of our players, on other bulletin boards, is disturbing. Yes, kids like Brad Bounds, Saul Smith, Sean Sutton, Devin Askew have taken their share of verbal abuse, but nothing like today's hatred. Of course social media has alot to do with it. But Frederick, Ware, and Wheeler are getting super serious hatred. They are clearly not UK level material, but they try to give it their all. We may not want to see them in a game, but to attack them with pure disgust and hatred is just not right.

[ 01-30-2023, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: jerseycat ]

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-29-2023 12:52 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I could not agree more jerseycat. I believe our little board does better than most but some are just ridiculous. The negativity of a lot of our fan base is pathetic.

Thanks for posting what, I believe, will be a wildly unpopular topic.

[ 01-29-2023, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-29-2023 01:59 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn’t watch the game but just looking at the boxscore it’s hard to win when your top two three point threats go a combined 0-8.

That probably puts UK in the NIT unless they win out. SEC took at beating from the Big 12 yesterday.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-29-2023 03:16 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have no hate for anybody. But I reserve the right to make observations about players, and comment on how effective they are or are not. That is what spectators do. We are not robots!

I love Frederick. When his shot is falling, he is a huge asset to the team. Even when it isn't falling, he moves so well without the ball, passes adroitly, and plays good defense that makes us better.

I love Ware too. I don't cringe at all when he checks in. I admire his attitude, his effort and energy, and when it is going well, he makes a good post player complementing Tshiewbe, Toppin, or even Livingston.

I admire Wheeler too, but I can't ignore the fact that statistically, he should not be playing many minutes if we want to win. He has a heart of gold, and quickness like no other on our team. But the fact remains that our team does not perform well on either end of the court when he gets extended minutes. Personally, I am quite sure he can improve upon those things that make this so, but until he does, logic dictates that he come off the bench for spot duty only.

This is a coach's primary duty: To put the best players on the floor to win the game. Unfortunately, I get the sense that Cal wants to be everybody's buddy, not their coach. He has favorites that don't correlate well to on-court performance. This is what is so puzzling to me. It isn't Wheeler's fault, or Ware's fault, or any of the players. It is Cal's fault.

Why was Livingston not in the game except for less than a minute in the second half? Why was Wheeler in there for so long? Will Thiero ever see the floor again? What about Onyenso?

Cal certainly has access to a lot more information than I do, but I can see plainly what is on the TV. I just don't understand Cal's ways at all.

[ 01-29-2023, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-29-2023 04:23 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is the only post I am on so I don't know what others are saying. However, on this site I feel that the posts are overwhelmingly fair and not hateful. Do we say certain players should play less, or are ineffective? Yes. But nothing about their effort, character, etc.

I feel for Wheeler as it has to be a very tough adjustment. I think he plays hard, and is a good team mate. I just don't think he gives us the best chance to win. Don't think there is anything wrong with that take. I love Ware's energy and effort, and he seems to also be a good team mate. I have no problem with any of the players. My only problem is with the coach, and yes I do say he is terrible. I keep it to his basketball coaching, as I feel most do on here, and not anything personal as I do not know the man.

I hope all the players play their best and make the most of any opportunities they get. Honestly, I feel bad for all of them having to know that they have a coach that is not going to put them in the best positions to succeed in games. It is all up to them to just outplay the other team. There is no help really coming from the bench. The offense has improved, and we have seen a couple different sets, however he makes no adjustments, ever. I feel that the players know they have a subpar game coach, and that has to be tough.

Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-29-2023 10:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like all the players but Cal just doesn't know how to get the most out of them. And they probably know that too. He puts 5 guys on the floor and would like to win with all of them playing 40 minutes. Youn get past 6 available and he can't remember who he has on the bench.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
jerseycat
Player
Member # 9

posted 01-30-2023 07:37 AM      Profile for jerseycat   Email jerseycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just to be clear, I have no issues with anyone making an observation about a player's performance. And this board is the most civil of any UK fan board. I suppose I was venting about the hatred found many other places is beyond anything I have ever seen.

--------------------
UK Class of 1968

Posts: 1791 | From: Red Bank, NJ | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-30-2023 04:36 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is just the sad state of the world we live in with the internet. Idiots can spew all kinds of crap sitting at their computer. You also get so many "trolls" who post things just trying to stir the pot.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-30-2023 05:08 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I’m afraid Livingston will take the same route as Hopkins took. We see how that turned out. WAKE UP, CAL! Play the players who are playing the best. We are not a one man (Oscar) team.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-30-2023 05:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah there's no reason he can't play Livingston more and he should give Collins and Thierro some time also. Maybe that's his plan. He want's Collins and thierro to transfer to make room for the guys he's got coming in next year to be able to start. The only real achievement he can claim is he has put more kids in the NBA than other coaches.
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 01-30-2023 07:08 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, that in itself is saying a lot. I think that has a lot to do with Cal's ability to recruit.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-30-2023 08:19 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. The kids know his record. Most of them think they are a year away from becoming millionaires and the national championship is not on the top of their want list. If it comes so be it but they don't necessarily need a championship. Consider Oscar as an example. I would think he knows he can't jump like some of the other top kids. That in itself will hurt him in the NBA. His ht. at 6-9 is not great for a center in the NBA. He doesn't have a great outside shot. I'm sure he is aware of all these things. I believe that is why he came back along with his thoughts of winning a championship. He doesn't seem to be one minded with only the NBA on his mind like some of the other guys on our roster. But if these guys want to sit in the green room with Cal at the draft they better be improving their play.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com