TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK Vanderbilt Bo score.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK Vanderbilt Bo score.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-25-2023 10:28 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
https://www.google.com/search?q=uk+vs+vanderbilt+box+score&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#sie=m;/g/11jsg8c58w;3;/g/11ckvf54fz;dt;fp;1;;;

I thought Wheeler played ok last night. Not great but ok.

Is Collins hurt?

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-25-2023 11:49 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal can not get that far down the bench. Maybe 7-8. Collins, Thierro and sometimes Kingsley don't get his attention. Thierro and Collins are prime candidates for transfer as I see it. Colins will have 2 morew years and Oscar will be gone so he may stick it out with more PT next year. Thierro gets a few minutes every now and then but last night Cal completely didn't trust him??? or he just forgot him. Kingsley is still learning and is really a project, except for his shot blocking. What we saw last night is probably what we will see the rest of the way. Cal can't afford to lose any games the rest of the way, but we know he won't win them all. The Kansas game on Saturday, after them losing 3 straight games will be a blood bath if our guys are re3ady for it. Kansas losing 4 games in a row when they were ranked #2? Who'd ever have thunk it? [Eek!] [Confused] [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 14111 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-25-2023 02:35 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Double-doubles from both Tshiewbe and Toppin is a HUGE PLUS. Also, good scoring from the guards, and a nice contibution from Wheeler.

This was a great team win. Hard to stop us with two scoring/rebounding bigs and 3 shooters!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13590 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-25-2023 04:53 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wheeler did play ok, but still had a couple plays where he dribbled full speed to the baseline with nowhere to go and no plan in sight. Luckily he got away with, but it's troubling to see him continue to do that kind of stuff. That's the stuff that just kills us.
Posts: 10318 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-25-2023 05:31 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree, PaulCat. If he would just be the ball-handler to initiate the offense, cut-and-screen, and find the open man with the easy pass, he would be an asset. I would take 7-8 dimes without a single attempted field goal from him as a good night.

On defense, he can be a terror in a full-court press, or even running the trap point in a 1-3-1 zone. But in man-to-man, he cannot fight through any screens, and is too easy to shoot over.

I would like to see us try the 1-3-1 with Onyenso on the baseline, Wheeler on point, and Toppin in the middle of the diamond. Fill in the two wings with whomever you want. I think it would give some teams fits.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-26-2023 09:53 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wheeler did play pretty well. More under control over all. However, if he plays over 20 minutes against Kansas I say we lose. Thiero needs to get some more minutes as I think he can help on both ends, and Reeves or CJ can run PG adequately if needed, like they did against UT.

Kansas will take advantage of Wheeler being in the game, and also will take advantage if Oscar continues to switch on every single screen. That put us in some very bad positions that Vandy just didn't take advantage of. A very good team will eat us up on that, and will get offensive rebounds just from our poor switching. I know in the past Cal has had teams switch on everything and it often is not good. Saturday will be a very big game for us to see if we truly are a good team, or if we just beat the people we should beat, with the exception of UT. We need some more wins like that one.

Posts: 5395 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-26-2023 04:28 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
<link>

quote:
...Kentucky's defense has been at its worst in league play with Wheeler on the floor. The optimum five of Wallace, Reeves, Fredrick, Toppin and Tshiebwe allows just .79 points per possession against SEC opponents. But that figure skyrockets to 1.15 points per possession for opponents when Wheeler is on the floor.
This is a very good article on CBS Sports. I guess Cal isn't one of those "metrics" coaches, or he would've sat Wheeler well before he got injured, and we'd be better than the projected 10-seed.
Posts: 10318 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-26-2023 08:28 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Really good article. I hope Cal has read it and sticks with his best lineup, and realizes how much better we have played when Wheeler is off the floor, especially defensively. I still would like to see Thiero get some more chances, but that's probably not going to happen. I think he can be a very solid player for us.
Posts: 5395 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-27-2023 04:26 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This confirms what many of us have said:

quote:
No other two-man grouping in the SEC produces better offensive results for their team than Reeves and Fredrick. The Wildcats enjoy an adjusted team offensive efficiency rating of 117.5 when those two are on the floor together, per evanmiya.com. For comparison, UK's next-best tandem of Reeves and Tshiebwe rates at 113.7 in the same metric.
This article reinforces these four things:

(1) Reeves needs to start
(2) Reeves, Frederick, Wallace, Toppin and Tshiewbe need to spend most of the game together.
(3) We need our shooters to shoot better from the arc.
(4) We need to hit our free throws at a significantly higher rate.

It is clear to me that the team needs to take it upon themselves to spend extra time in the gym lofting shots, both from the floor and from the FT line. Certainly, it doesn't appear that shooting is a big part of the existing practice time. If Wallace, Frederick, and Reeves could routinely hit 38% from the arc, we would be unbeatable. Likewise, if the team could hit 75% of its free throws, we would be even more unbeatable.

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-27-2023 09:54 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That all makes sense to me. The big problem is "IF".
Posts: 14111 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 01-28-2023 08:09 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Anybody doing in game chat tonight for the Kansas game?
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com