TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » On Wheeler, Tshiewbe, and Cal's offense

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: On Wheeler, Tshiewbe, and Cal's offense
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-22-2023 12:32 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, we have some really good players that have found their potential thwarted recently. I am talking about Wheeler, and Tshiewbe.

In the 80s, having two such players would make us a dominant team... the old Stockton/Malone model of a "pure" PG and a broad, thick, burly forward. We saw some teams like that at UK that worked pretty well.

But the 3-point line renders that model less effective. The relevent success model today is the Curry/Thompson/Green model at Golden State. Shooters on the outside, and a mobile forward who the defense cannot ignore. We have that kind of team, if we would recognize it. We have shooters on the perimeter, and Toppin is the mobile forward who must not be left alone. Tshiewbe is an old-school power forward, and Toppin is a new-school power forward.

So, we can go old-school or new school, or a hybrid. And Cal has found the hybrid! I loved the high-low action Cal put in yesterday with Toppin and Tshiewbe. That, with our three shooters, puts tremendous pressure on the defense. We can score from every position, and a double-team is suicidal. Teams will have to play us straight-up, or zone us, and we can beat either one.

Cal has finally stumbled into the right system to use our offensive weapons effectively. Kudos to him. I hope we don't revert back, because this works, assuming we can shoot a decent percentage from the arc.

But, that leaves the question of what to do with Wheeler? Put him in, and we have one less perimeter threat. We would need a different offensive system to utilize his skills. Maybe a short spurt of the dribble-drive with a 4-out, 1-in lineup. And on defense, we need to have a safe way to use Wheeler's quickness and mitigate his height challenges. Zone comes to mind.

So, most of the game we go with the Wallace/Frederick/Reeves/Toppin/Tshiewbe offense and a more traditional man-to-man defense, intersperced with the smaller 4-out dribble-drive offense and a zone. Sure would give opposing coaches fits.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13590 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-22-2023 12:43 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
and when ward is in wheeler must not be. when wheeler is in ward must not.

u r right tip. we have a great starting line up and if coach does the right subs we will be hard to beat.

yesterday was a fine example of oscar not getting any shots the 3.s not falling but we won because we made enough.

and of course good defense!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-22-2023 02:14 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like y'all's way of thinking. Right before the end of the first half the five we had on the floor was horrible. Wheeler, Ware and the big 7 footer offered no offense.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-22-2023 03:16 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Definitely feel for Wheeler. That has to be tough on him. I hope he is getting coached on what he needs to do differently when he is in. He started off really well in the first half. He was under control, not over dribbling, and made some nice passes for open shots. But then he reverted to over dribbling, dribbling into bad situations, etc. He can definitely be a good sub and can push the ball up very quickly. If he can just be a distributer, push the pace while under control, and pressure the ball while keeping it in front of him, he can give us some valuable minutes. But I don't think he needs to be playing more than 10-15 minutes a game. And I would like to see Thiero coming in as a sub some as I think he can be a help on both ends. I believe in the UT game we even had some times where Reeves and CJ were running point and the offense worked well. Just basic good ball movement.
Posts: 5395 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-22-2023 06:42 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It has to be tough on Wheeler. I think Wheeler can be effective for a two or three minute span and UK has to run when he is in. He is effective in that type of role, but that is about it.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11513 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
BCD
Player
Member # 2053

posted 01-23-2023 02:48 PM      Profile for BCD   Email BCD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I like Wheeler, but I agree he needs to accept a different role, and I'm sure it tough for him.
By all accounts he's a great teammate.
His skillset isn't as valuable with this team's build.
There will be short stretches where he will be valuable and he can make a positive impact. Other times his impact will not be so positive.

Just my $.02

--------------------
It's me, the cat

Posts: 409 | From: Conjunction junction | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com