TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Loved the Offense Today

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loved the Offense Today
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-21-2023 06:02 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just got done watching the game. If they can continue to space the floor and move the ball like that things will continue to look up.

Kentucky missed a lot of easy buckets at the rim and missed a lot of open threes, but they were all great looks and will fall eventually.

Good job Cal.

[ 01-21-2023, 06:03 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-21-2023 10:23 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even though CJ didn't shoot well he is important to have on the floor with Reeves. Just him being out there opens things up. He is also an underrated defender. Don't mean he's great by any means, but he does better than some at being where he should be. I hope they work alot on those outside shots. I felt the 3s we took were all good ones, we just need to hit them.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-21-2023 11:49 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With Wheeler on the bench, it's like watching a totally different team. It's like day and night.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-22-2023 12:22 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was so proud of Lance Ware today. He played great defense while Oscar was on the bench in the first half. Livingston knocking down those two three's were huge. Winning A game when Oscar wasn't scoring does a lot for this team. Great win!!! Good job coach Cal 👏

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-22-2023 08:55 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
With Wheeler on the bench, it's like watching a totally different team. It's like day and night.

PC,

Agree. He was good for the first minute or two he was in, but after that he was a liability especially on the defensive end.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 01-22-2023 09:49 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with the comments about Wheeler. That being said, I do not agree with some of the comments being said on other UK sites where they are just crucifying the young man. I agree with Toppin when he said something like “Get off his back, mental health is a very real thing”.

I have a lot of empathy for Sahvir, it must be very, very tough for him. He has been SEC all conference on two different teams and now is playing limited minutes. I hope he is able to handle his new role and still contribute.

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-22-2023 12:14 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that the spacing was much better, and we moved the ball (for the most part) with purpose. We missed a LOT of open shots, though. That can be corrected if we actually do it enough.

With two scoring bigs in Tshiewbe and Toppin, having Wallace, Frederick, Reeves on the perimeter poses huge problems for opposing defenses. They can choose to collapse on Tsheiwbe (which is clearly the "book" on defending UK), and then hope we don't hit our open perimeter shots.

Yesterday, we didn't hit at a high rate, but it was enough. We thwarted their highly physical collapsing defense by making enough threes. But, if we can up that hit rate, we can have a truly dominant offense. Guard our shooters? Boom -- Tshiewbe on the post or Toppin on the lob. Collapse on our bigs? Boom -- a rain of threes.

I hope Cal keeps that combo on the floor for at least 20-25 minutes each game.

As to Wheeler, yeah... it sucks to be a guy who has won accolades but is sitting on the bench. Absolutely we need to be mindful of his situation and not crush him. But, he hopefully realizes WHY he is on the bench more... and can address those weaknesses. This is up to the coaching staff. If Wheeler could be a distributor and a on-the-ball hawk, he could get a lot more time. But his reversion to over-dribbling, trying to penetrate with no second option on offense makes him an offensive liability. On defense, we need to find a way to use his strengths and mask his weakness (stature). He could be much more effective playing the point in a 1-3-1 zone press or even a 1-3-1 halfcourt zone (or a 3-2 zone that stretches to a 1-3-1).

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-22-2023 03:11 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Offense is definitely better and kudos to Cal for the high low with Toppin and Oscar, as well as having more movement for CJ and Reeves to come off of.

However, he still is struggling at times to realize the right combo. He didn't start Reeves, and I really don't understand why. There was also a period in the 2nd half where he was subbing one for the other and had Wheeler in. It wasn't until Wheeler messed up multiple times. But then he put Livingston in. He finally went down the stretch with CJ and Reeves. Those 2 need to be on the floor together as much as possible, and I would probably like to see Thiero over Wheeler at times. I personally was happy to see us take that many 3's as they really were all the right shot at the right time. And if we didn't take that many to make the amount we did, we very possibly lose. I was glad to see Cal allow them to keep shooting.

Cals lack of adjustments also hurt us in the game. He refused to go zone even though it was obvious that AM could drive at will on us, and that was really their only offense. They do not shoot it well from outside, and they don't want to. If he went to a zone some we take care of that game alot earlier. That could also protect Oscar with 3-4 fouls. He also started to have us slow it down with about 4 minutes left and there was the Circle play, and alot of standing around. This led to a number of forced shots, and fortunately he abandoned that after a couple of minutes, but it did keep the game closer. Then at the end he had CJ and Reeves all the way on the other end and had Wallace and TOPPIN bringing it up. Why would you do that? Don't you want your best FT shooters getting the ball?

Anyways, I am happy to have 3 wins in a row, and to see Cal slowly making some adjustments. My hope is he keeps improving on that and is able to maximize the potential that's there.

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-22-2023 06:41 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
However, he still is struggling at times to realize the right combo. He didn't start Reeves, and I really don't understand why. There was also a period in the 2nd half where he was subbing one for the other and had Wheeler in. It wasn't until Wheeler messed up multiple times. But then he put Livingston in. He finally went down the stretch with CJ and Reeves. Those 2 need to be on the floor together as much as possible, and I would probably like to see Thiero over Wheeler at times. I personally was happy to see us take that many 3's as they really were all the right shot at the right time. And if we didn't take that many to make the amount we did, we very possibly lose. I was glad to see Cal allow them to keep shooting.

Cals lack of adjustments also hurt us in the game. He refused to go zone even though it was obvious that AM could drive at will on us, and that was really their only offense. They do not shoot it well from outside, and they don't want to. If he went to a zone some we take care of that game alot earlier. That could also protect Oscar with 3-4 fouls. He also started to have us slow it down with about 4 minutes left and there was the Circle play, and alot of standing around. This led to a number of forced shots, and fortunately he abandoned that after a couple of minutes, but it did keep the game closer. Then at the end he had CJ and Reeves all the way on the other end and had Wallace and TOPPIN bringing it up. Why would you do that? Don't you want your best FT shooters getting the ball?

Anyways, I am happy to have 3 wins in a row, and to see Cal slowly making some adjustments. My hope is he keeps improving on that and is able to maximize the potential that's there.

Just my thoughts.

I like Reeves coming off the bench. He provides instant offense plus when he was in the starting lineup I didn't feel as though he responded as a starter earlier in the year.

I also didn't see a need to play zone yesterday. UK struggled for a stretch in the first half, but that was with Wheeler on the court. Once he went back to the bench the defense shored back up. Texas A&M made some tough twos as well driving.

--------------------

redbone

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-22-2023 06:53 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I can see the thought of Reeves coming off the bench. However, I feel that AM had success getting to the basket the majority of the game. We just struggle against aggressive drivers at times and I think having a zone in would benefit the team at certain points, and help to keep teams a little off balance.

If he would have used a zone out of a couple timeouts that AM called it would have been really effective as they used their last 2 timeouts to draw up plays against man to man. Switching would have made those 2 timeouts a waste by AM. I have always been a big believer in the strength of being able to switch defenses. I think it can be very valuable.

BCD
Player
Member # 2053

posted 01-23-2023 02:44 PM      Profile for BCD   Email BCD   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Watching CJ move without the ball wears me out. He is always working to get open.

He may not be scoring a lot currently, but having him in there with Reeves really opens everything up.

my $.02

--------------------
It's me, the cat

Posts: 413 | From: Conjunction junction | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-23-2023 02:57 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
I can see the thought of Reeves coming off the bench. However, I feel that AM had success getting to the basket the majority of the game. We just struggle against aggressive drivers at times and I think having a zone in would benefit the team at certain points, and help to keep teams a little off balance.

If he would have used a zone out of a couple timeouts that AM called it would have been really effective as they used their last 2 timeouts to draw up plays against man to man. Switching would have made those 2 timeouts a waste by AM. I have always been a big believer in the strength of being able to switch defenses. I think it can be very valuable.

I don't disagree in general I just didn't see the need yesterday.

That being said, Cal is never going to play a zone. Mainly because I don't believe he knows how to setup and coach zone defensive principals. Zone's are easy to beat if you don't know how to properly coach defensive zone movements.

Coach K use to be the same way and then when he coached Team USA he had Boeheim on the staff and he learned from the master of the two three zone defense.

[ 01-23-2023, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-23-2023 05:30 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
disagree on why Cal doesn't coach zone defense. If he wanted he could land if he needs help there are a zillion tapes on the principles of teaching and from everyone who has been a coach (not to mention bringing in a coach to teach if needed)

Cal simply does not like it and he will not use it period....

IMV there r a thousand plays to beat a zone and a thousand ways to coach a zone defense. Cal knows them all.

From a old high school coach who used zone a lot both to beat a zone offensively and who used a zone defensively

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-23-2023 07:53 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe that cal dosen't use the zone defense is because it's rarely used in the NBA and he wants to showcase his players talents. I've heard him say those exact words.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-23-2023 09:21 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
rlt, that makes sense. Why would he want to do what's best for the team to win. He could still showcase them and play zone. I just want him to mix it in a little, when it's needed or could be effective. He can still play man for the majority of the game. I think this team could be a good zone team. If he's not gonna do that then he better start teaching them how to play man defense with correct help side and rotation. Oh, and keeping your man in front of you. I hope we play well in Vandy. It's never easy to play there.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-23-2023 10:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukcatfannfl:
disagree on why Cal doesn't coach zone defense. If he wanted he could land if he needs help there are a zillion tapes on the principles of teaching and from everyone who has been a coach (not to mention bringing in a coach to teach if needed)

Cal simply does not like it and he will not use it period....

All I know is he has tried to play zone occasionally in a few different seasons and it was an absolute disaster. Maybe he is not good at watching tape.

So we will have to agree to disagree.

[ 01-23-2023, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------

redbone

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-23-2023 10:50 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If this team could stop a straight line drive to the basket, they could almost be unbeatable. I get so sick of watching the opposing team score so easy. Especially when they go to the left. As good of a player that Oscar is he's not a good defensive player IMO.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-24-2023 09:30 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I remember seeing a video many, many years ago when Pitino was coach, where he taught his players to stare at the opponents belly button. You can fake someone out with your head, arms and legs. But wherever you go, so goes your belly button. To this day when I play basketball, I stare at my opponents belly when I'm on defense. It's the easiest way to stay in front of someone without losing your lingerie.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-24-2023 10:57 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yep. The belly button is pretty close to their center of gravity. They can shimmy and shake and juke all they want, but their CG will always bely their actual movement.

I tend to watch their chest instead, since it is more of an 'eyes up' perspective. But the hips might be the best place to focus of all.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-24-2023 11:21 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's crazy that y'all should say that. My nephew is playing basketball on a team this year and at his game the other night my brother kept telling his team to watch their bellybuttons. It really helped and saved a couple of broken ankles because the other teams point guard was a juker.P.S. is juker a word?

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com