TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Good job Cal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good job Cal
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-18-2023 07:58 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I didn't see the second half, but looking at the box score it looks like he exclusively played Oscar, Wallace, Frederick, Reeves, Livingston, and Toppin in the second half.

Looks like he resisted the urge to put Wheeler on the floor for more than 1 minute.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-18-2023 10:19 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He had Wheeler in some but then pulled him after a couple of bad possessions. Thank God for Oscar. Happy for him, but I don't think he will be able to do that, as we have seen, against top teams with quality big men. We really need to have complimentary scoring from Wallace, Reeves, and CJ. We lose that game probably if Oscar doesn't go off. Our defense has got to do a better job and I wish Cal would work on some zone. It could be a big help at times, and could also help protect some guys if we are in foul trouble. We really struggled against their guards driving to the basket, and we gave up at least 7 points off of simple inbounds plays.

Toppin played well with the exception of a few forced shots, but I think Cal had told him to shoot it, and his defense wasn't great. However, he rebounded really well, made some good passes, and ran the floor well to get some good layups. CJ couldn't hit anything, but he played well on defense, and just having him out there opens things up on the offensive end. That's 2 in a row against power 5 schools. Hope we can keep it going against AM on Saturday.

Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-18-2023 10:32 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Also hoping to continue to see more of Livingston, and that Thiero gets more minutes as a backup. Wheeler can help in spurts, and when we have some foul trouble. Make him an energy guy that distributes and looks to get guys involved. Less dribbling. And have him hound the ball handler out high as long as he keeps him in front. Do that in spurts and he could be valuable.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-18-2023 10:51 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Georgia was playing two steps off of Wheeler on defense. They were practically begging him to shoot the ball. That's not good.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-18-2023 11:39 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal must have been listening a little to our comments. For the most part I think he finally realizes what he was expecting to happen will just not happen. We all know how they should be playing and maybe now Cal also knows. But the biggest problem last night was our shooting percentage in the first half. When all of our guys miss the 3's we are in trouble. Not sure what we could do about it except get better. Oscar could have had a mostly normal day of 20-20 points and rebounds and I think if you check it we would have lost the game. That's not saying much for the rest of the team.

[ 01-18-2023, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-22-2023 05:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel I have figured this dilemma out. I don't believe UK's staff is really working hard at their recruiting They just leave it up to the so called experts to project these kids ratings and then they go try to convince the top of the list to come to UK. I don't believe they devote enough time to the rest of the top 100 kids coming out of high school. In a lot of cases how much difference is there going to be between the top 25 and the rest of the top 100? I believe if they were watching some of these 75 kids they'd see that a lot of them could be just as good as the top 25. They must be because some of the lesser schools are getting them and I can see there are a lot of players playing elsewhere that can outplay some of Cal's "diaper dandys" Just check the stats of all these kids and you will see how many have stats just as good or better than some of UK's kids. When all of most you do is work to get the top 25 to sign your job becomes a lot easier.
Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com