TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Great win!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Great win!
michigankat
Player
Member # 2775

posted 01-14-2023 02:57 PM      Profile for michigankat   Email michigankat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great win today! Now everyone, let’s just savor this and keep our mouths shut for a few days ! Haha

--------------------
" A short pencil is better than a long memory" My good friend Jack Lengyel
Check out the greatest tailgating invention ever!
www.thetalegator.com

Posts: 454 | From: Birmingham, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-14-2023 03:03 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I said earlier, it won't shock me if we win. [Smile]

Keys to the game:

1. We made free throws!!!

2. Wheeler and Collins being out was a blesssing. I think all year Tip and Trey have been saying Reeves and CJ need to play at the same time. So true. Keep Casson in as well with Thiero off the bench. Wheeler and Collins can play in mop-up duty.

3. The first half we spread the floor and played inside and outside. Way to wake up, Cal. Second half it looked like we were back to our old selves. Then about the 9-minute mark we started playing again. I sure hope Cal watches the game film on this one!

I am just amazed at the fouls that were called, and I think it went both ways. Just a weirdly officiated game.

Now we need to play like this every game! GO CATS!

Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-14-2023 03:35 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This was a great game. I think the difference was wheeler not playing. I really believe he plays to fast. Go Big Blue!!!

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 01-14-2023 03:36 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good things happen when Thiero is on the floor.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10224 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 01-14-2023 04:10 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
+1 to everything Paulcat posted. Thiero should get more PT. Great win. Keep it rolling from here Cats!
Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-14-2023 04:32 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This will probably be our best win of the year. It was good for the most part but like was said we reverted in the second halfWe didn't miss Wheeler and his bad decisions. However, Reeves made up for his missing. Reeves had at least 4 bad passes which mostly led to TN scores. Thiero played well but even he made some bad decisions. Last I heard we were approaching 20 turnovers fast. If not for CJ's return we could have lost this one. Oscar woke up a little but when there is a 7 footer his defense is not going to be that great one on one. If only he had about 6 more inches to his leap. My prediction of the final score in the 40's wasn't too far off. We have GA and A&M in Rupp and Vandy in Nashville next. Hope we can continue to improve and go into the Kansas game on a 4 win streak. It's amazing what making your shots (except all the layups we missed) can do for the win. Better defense doesn't hurt either.
Posts: 14131 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-14-2023 05:14 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great effort by the players. IT was a blessing not having Wheeler play. I still think he could be a big help if he is coached properly. He does push it well at times, and makes some good passes, but his shooting and defense are a liability. Biggest blessing with him out was Cal being forced to play Reeves and CJ at the same time. I have been saying all year they need to be on the floor together much, much more. Yo get this win with really not getting much from Wallace was huge. Thiero definitely needs to be playing more consistently. I think he will get better and better with more time. The guys moved so much better today on offense, until they were told to go to the circle play with about 5-6 minutes left. Then it was back to the stale offense. But the guys played tough D, and made their FT's. I forgot what it felt like to watch a win over a ranked team.
Posts: 5424 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-14-2023 06:56 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Wheeler's defense, his shooting is much improved. His biggest problem is he tends to drive without having any "plan B", and often that ends up in a turnover. If he would stop that, he is a net asset instead of a liability on offense.

On defense, however, unless he can harrass the ball carrier successfully, EVERYBODY can shoot over him.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13596 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-14-2023 07:01 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This game reinforces to me that the starting five needs to be:

Tshiewbe
Livingston
Frederick
Reeves
Wallace

We have two good situational options for the guards (Thiero impressed me, and Wheeler can ball in some situations).

We have Toppin, Ware, Collins, and Onyenso to come in for the bigs, more-or-less in that order. However, I would like to see us play teams like Tennessee and Alabama, with those 7-foot centers, with a 4-out offense and have Onyenso play the paint using the classic dribble-drive system. All he would need to do is rebound and put-back missed shots; he would never be a primary offensive weapon in the dribble-drive. Imagine Onyenso on the weakside block, and Frederick and Reeves on the arc, while Wallace and Wheeler wheel and deal in the DD.

It would be fun to watch, and Onyenso is much less of a defensive liablity than Tshiewbe against big opponents.

[ 01-14-2023, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13596 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-14-2023 09:26 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was frustrated that Cal played Toppin as much as he did. His defense was pitiful. Granted, he did grab 8 boards, but he gave up way too many baskets on the defensive end. I was hoping Thiero or Livingston would get those minutes at the end. I guess I need to be quiet and just be happy we won. Go Big Blue!

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-14-2023 10:32 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
This game reinforces to me that the starting five needs to be:

Tshiewbe
Livingston
Frederick
Reeves
Wallace.

Tip,

That is the lineup I’ve been asking to see on the floor for extended minutes for months.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-15-2023 09:53 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Matt Jones said on the radio yesterday that lineup produces more than any other lineups. We outscored Tennessee 29-11 with that lineup on the floor.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-15-2023 10:22 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do we think Cal will go with that lineup to start the next game? I sure hope so. I don't understand how he could possibly not when it is so clear they are our best 5. I also hope he knows he can play more guys to keep them fresh, and he doesn't "forget" about some of them.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-15-2023 11:13 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hate being down on Wheeler, but I feel so much better when he's not in the game. I'm gonna be disappointed if he goes back to the starting lineup.
Posts: 10324 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-15-2023 01:12 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't blame Wheeler completely as he has been doing what Cal wants him to do. He has improved as a spot up 3 shooter, and he can dish out some good assists. I just think he can do those things as a backup. Come in and spell a guard, pressure the ball, and push the tempo while doing a little better at staying under control. I think he can still be an important part, just at 20 minutes or less.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-15-2023 07:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is clearly not his best year, the same can be said for Cal. He has had his problems before but never this bad. But I'll bet we see

Wheeler
Wallace
Livingston (or Toppin)
Reeves
Oscar

unless someone is injured.

Posts: 14131 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-15-2023 08:39 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If he goes with that lineup it will be a clear sign that he is a terrible coach and cannot see what is best for this team. I sure hope you're wrong, but I'm afraid you'll be right.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2023 09:54 AM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
In Wheeler's defense, his shooting is much improved. His biggest problem is he tends to drive without having any "plan B", and often that ends up in a turnover. If he would stop that, he is a net asset instead of a liability on offense.

On defense, however, unless he can harrass the ball carrier successfully, EVERYBODY can shoot over him.

Tip,

I agree Wheeler is shooting better than last year, but teams are still leaving him open and clogging the paint. They will live with him shooting the jumper if it means they can sag down in the middle and cut off driving lanes.

You could see it on Rick Barnes whiteboard in the huddle: Don't leave Frederick or Reeves and force Reeves left. I couldn't see what it said about Wallace because it was off the screen, but my guess was it said not to leave him either. Having those three plus Livingston on the floor just creates the spacing you need and maybe most important it leaves Oscar to offensive rebound against one guy vs. three and I like his chances rebounding against anyone 1 on 1.

Wheeler also is a huge defensive liability. He has had one great game on defense at UK and that was against UNC last year if I recall correctly. Other than that he allows his guy to blow right past him every single time.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11534 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com