TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Never to Early.....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Never to Early.....
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-10-2022 09:35 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....to wrap up team play. My first comment is this will be Cal's toughest season. Not for winning games but for locating everyone on the bench that deserves PT. That is if they all play like they did tonight. I saw 10 guys who showed they were for real.

Shooters: Oh yeah, do we have some shooters. Of the new guys, Reeves and Thiero can find the bottom of the net from deep. Wallace and especially Livingston know how to make the long shots also. Frederick was the only one who didn't get much chance to shoot. The only 3 I remember him taking rimmed out. He is still not melded with the flow of the game to get his shots.

Blockers: Collins could very well lead the team in that category, if he doesn't hurt his head on the rim. That second dunk didn't look like a dunk. t really looked like he couldn't get close enough to touch the rim so he just threw it downward with so much force it looked like a dunk. And him and Toppin should make a good 1-2 combo on blocking shots. That won't leave many left for Oscar and Ware to block. There are two more who should get a few also, Livingston and Thierro.

The defense was pretty good also, at times. And we haven't even seen Kingsley yet. I hope Cal doesn't decide to red shirt him like happened last year and we never get to see him play.

If we can play like this in the season Cal will have plenty for a platoon system again but I'm afraid he wouldn't even give it a try again. If he doesn't, someone deserving will be lost at the end of the bench. I hope the assistants give him help during the games to prevent this from happening. T have to admit he has searched and found some great pieces to build this team about the returners. We have so much help that Oscar's numbers could be lower than last years. I think there will be a much tougher time for him to repeat as the #1 player. But I think we should be favored to win the SEC and get a final 4 spot. But........... don't blow it.

[ 08-10-2022, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14124 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 08-10-2022 10:48 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We will know before SEC play begins how good this team will be. Our nonconference schedule is brutal. It's going to be fun to watch this team.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-11-2022 07:55 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pretty much agree with your assessment Bama. I was really impressed with Collins. I’ve always thought he had the ability to be a star. He may just ending up being one.

I’m already beginning to wonder if Fredrick will become a lost player on the bench. Based on last night’s game only, he may have difficulty getting his shots. We know he can shoot the three if open.

Going to be hard to keep Wallace out of the starting line up. He looks and plays like he is a lot older.

rlt4uk, you’re right, our non conference schedule is brutal. I’ve always been one to complain about non theconference schedule being to weak.. This year I may have to complain about it being too tough.

Way to early to get excited about this group but I am.

[ 08-11-2022, 08:01 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5379 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-11-2022 09:59 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal put the 5 on the floor at the beginning that I thought should be there from their past experience. They looked good and Reeves is going to be a huge asset for us. Shame we only have him for 1 year.

Livingston is going to be an all around good player. He can defend, shoot and handle the ball for someone his size. We know how good the players coming back are.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Oscar's figures will maybe not quite reach where they were last year. That will be because of playing time. We have too many guys that will need minutes if they continue like last night.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-12-2022 01:35 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal will NOT start 3 bigs, unless that is necessary to match the opponent. Even then, I doubt he will do it.

Toppin will start, alongside Tshiewbe. Collins might take Toppin's place in the starting five, but it will take more than dominating lesser opponents in exhibition games to earn that spot.

The question is which of the guards will get the nod for the other three starters. Should be fun to find out.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13595 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-12-2022 01:53 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You're most likely correct. Only if we are getting outrebounded would we probably see 3 bigs. We have Livingston who is starting to prove with his size and abilities he might end up as the starting 3. For the other two guard positions we know that Wheeler will be there. Wallace or Reeves. But Thiero is proving he could play a 3 or2 also. So much to worry about, but it's a nice worry. I just hope everyone continues their game into the season. And we haven't even seen Kingsley yet. I'm hoping in the non conference ganmes we could see him spelling Oscar. That would eave Toppin and Collins to spell each other. I don't see Cal going full platoon but I could see 4 guys changing out at a time.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com