TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » This article sums up why we have been

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This article sums up why we have been
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-26-2022 05:06 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
lousy more often than not the past several years:

The term "athlete" descripts a big part of our recruiting under Cal..

Edwards fits that mode to a T.

Here’s what Borzello wrote about the Wildcats.

Will Kentucky be more of a threat from the perimeter this season? The Wildcats were one of the least 3-point-reliant teams in the country last season, ranking No. 351 out of 358 teams in 3-point attempt rate at KenPom.com. That’s the fourth time in the past five years Kentucky has ranked in the bottom 15 nationally in that category; in fact, the Wildcats have ranked in the bottom 75 nationally in 3-point attempt rate each of the past 11 seasons. Improving the outside shooting would space the floor better for John Calipari’s guards. Sahvir Wheeler isn’t a good 3-point shooter, but former Iowa transfer CJ Fredrick is one of the best shooters in the country, Illinois State transfer Antonio Reeves shot 39% from 3 last season and freshmen Cason Wallace and Chris Livingston are capable outside shooters.

Projected starting lineup:

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 07-26-2022 10:33 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just what you would expect, not what you would hope for.

Oscar, Toppin, Wheeler, Collins and Wallace. Or sub Frederick or Reaves for Collins.

Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 07-26-2022 10:54 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just because you look like a basketball player doesn't mean you can hit a jump shot. Players today want to look flashy and show off their athleticism. I'd take a smart player who can shoot and play defense over 90% of the athlete's that can't hit a wide open jump shot.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9797 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 07-26-2022 11:05 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just because you look like a basketball player doesn't mean you can hit a jump shot. Players today want to look flashy and show off their athleticism. I'd take a smart player who can shoot and play defense over 90% of the athlete's that can't hit a wide open jump shot.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-27-2022 05:31 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree with the preference for skilled shooters over athletes. But, guess which ones make it to the NBA? The long, lean athletes that Cal prefers. Shooters are secondary consideration for most teams.

But, I am a bit old-school. While I love the firepower of the three-point shot, I hate the inevitable bad games when those shots are just not falling. I always prefer to establish a reliable inside game first... which, as all of us armchair coaches know, opens up the outside shot, which opens up the interior, which... Well, let's just say we need both. But the inside game is far, far more reliable than the 3-point shot, over the course of a season. If we can't shoot it well, we should always have the option to punish them in the paint.

I think next year's team WILL have both, and in spades. If our defense is up to our offensive potential, then it will be one heck of a fun ride.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 07-27-2022 12:50 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree wholeheartedly. Did you see Reed Sheppard go off last night? He has the total package. He reminded me of a young Larry Bird the way he ran that team. He would leave the game the other team would make a run, he'd get reinserted back into the game and he'd make a steal, A no look pass, A layup or a jump shot and the game would be out of reach in a matter of a few possession.

From what I saw he's special.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com