TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Another one bites the dust.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another one bites the dust.
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-30-2022 08:11 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ketone Brooks enters the transfer portal. Not happy about Keion leaving. Not sure about his reasoning on this. I would think he would have gotten plenty of playing time and once again been a starter.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33828578/kentucky-men-basketball-starter-keion-brooks-jr-becomes-third-wildcat-enter-transfer-portal

Posts: 5393 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-30-2022 08:49 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Based on the current roster, I think Keion would've played a lot next year. Not sure his reasoning.

The transfer portal is not good for college basketball.

Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-30-2022 11:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that one is a head-scratcher. He is a starter, he gets plenty of minutes... what more does he want?

Toppin is his only competition; perhaps he thinks he would lose his starter job to him?

In any case, when a starter transfers, it raises a lot of questions. More fuel to the fire.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-30-2022 09:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah. and that follows Lucas transferring his loyalty to Duke. We all know UK would match the money. Would they match the coaching position?? Not so sure on that. If I'm not mistaken Orlando has the 2nd in command position. Will Lucas be the second in command at Duke?? There's a whole lot of mystery going on with this team and coach. Will it poke it's head out and say BOO by September?? We'll just have to wait and see. [Confused]
Posts: 14140 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-30-2022 09:34 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My guess is Brooks wants to go a program that runs an offensive system that is current and relevant in today’s game. He knows he has no chance of really improving his draft position staying at Kentucky, but he may be able to do so playing elsewhere.

I actually think it is a logical decision that he is making for any future that he may have as a pro.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11562 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-30-2022 10:09 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a list of coaches who have put the most players in the NBA. There are some great coaches on this list of 15. Guess who is #1? It ain’t even close.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1252696-college-basketballs-15-best-coaches-at-churning-out-nba-studs

I’m sure some of that can be attributed to great recruiting but I would think at least some of it would be getting players ready for the next level.

IMO, putting too much emphasis on getting players ready to play at the NBA level may be part of our problem.

If Keon is leaving with the hopes of finding someone better to help him reach the next level, IMO, he has made a mistake.

[ 04-30-2022, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-30-2022 11:06 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy ... you do realize that article is from 2012 don't you ???
Not sure what it is today but it is not what it was in 2012.
Another thing to look at is what type teams have been in more National Championship games since 2012. Hint, it isn't uk or dook. 5 Star player teams or 3 and 4 Star player teams ???
I know that isn't the ones getting the most players in the nba but they are the better college teams.

MEL

Posts: 2793 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 05-01-2022 08:10 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No Mel, I did not realize that the article was that old. I would bet my left testicle that he would still easily lead the number of players placed in the NBA.

My response was directed toward Brooks leaving UK to better his chances in achieving his NBA dreams. For all his warts, I don’t believe there is anyone who rivals Cal in getting his “chosen” players NBA ready.

I’m not defending or criticizing Cal’s overall ability as a coach or his record in the NCAA tournament. But, up to this point in his career, his recruiting ability and being able to place players in the NBA is unparalleled, at least in my mind.

Along with many others, I’m beginning to question if his focus is a little out of focus. Pun intended

quote:
Another thing to look at is what type teams have been in more National Championship games since 2012. Hint, it isn't uk or dook. 5 Star player teams or 3 and 4 Star player teams ???
Do you believe Brooks is even considering this while entering the transfer portal?

[ 05-01-2022, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-01-2022 10:20 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a stat that is meaningless to me. We all know which schools get the most top players because of the school name, and partially for the coach. It's up to you which you think is the primary cause. but we all know why these schools have the most players in the NBA. That is because these schools get the best of the best players so it's just a simple fact.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 05-01-2022 11:03 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari's website claims that he has helped 52 players get drafted by the NBA draft, and <this link> lists them all (although several on this list were not drafted).

I would bet that are three or four on this list that got drafted simply because they played for Cal/Kentucky, but most of them probably would have been drafted even if they went to Northern Kentucky. Cal recruits kids who are almost certain to play in the NBA.

Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-01-2022 01:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is Cal's best recruiting tool.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-01-2022 08:39 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
But some of the smarter ones know the facts for what they are. I was right there next to where Banchero (Duke) was standing during his recruiting visit. He did nothing but stay on his cell phone during the whole football game. To him it was just a chance to take a recruiting trip and reap all the benefits of being a top player. He knew it didn't matter where he went to school. He might not win a championship at the school he decided to attend but he would still be drafted high. That's the main reason Cal's recruiting has dipped some in the last 5-6 years. The better kids realize they need to pick a school that they will be comfortable with and it will give them what they want. To hell with NCAA Championships, just show me the money.

[ 05-01-2022, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com