TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Physcological Warfare to play for Cal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Physcological Warfare to play for Cal
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-02-2022 06:41 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It has to be difficult to play for Cal when you are not one of his favorite players on the team.

Hopkins reward for playing so well against LSU and probably being the key to victory:

@ Arkansas - 3 minutes
Ole Miss - Did not play coach's decision.

Hopkins is going to be a hell of a player for someone next year much like Johnny Juzang has been for UCLA.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11562 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-02-2022 07:25 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal’s substitution pattern has always been very puzzling to me. Sometimes I may not agree but understand. This one I have to say “what the hell”.
Posts: 5393 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-02-2022 08:51 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And you know these kids work hard in practice. Can he honestly not find one minute of playing time for the subs?
Posts: 10334 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-03-2022 09:49 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I really don't think he has the mind to utilize more than 7 or aso players ion a team. He just can't figure out who or when to play someone. The easiest he has had it was when we platooned them. It was very simple to take 5 out and put 5 in. Late in the game all he had to do was take someone out if they were hurting the team and pick someone from the other platoon and put them in. He has shown this inability to manage more than 6 or 7 guys during a game. Sorry to say but that is a cold hard fact. And I don't know when he takes comments from the assistant coaches well. He tells them to shut up and get away.
Posts: 14140 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 03-04-2022 04:38 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not to come to his defense, but, he has won more than 800 games in his career!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123971 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-04-2022 01:23 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Any time you start thinking he is an "ass-hat" remember Rick Pitino. I think he is a good coach and recruiter, and that's all I care about.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-04-2022 03:55 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
And I don't know when he takes comments from the assistant coaches well.
When I was the main assistant, he never took my advice in any of our losses.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-04-2022 06:04 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by m hamilton:
Not to come to his defense, but, he has won more than 800 games in his career!

I don't disagree. I'm just saying for a player who he doesn't trust for whatever reason, it has to be hard to play for him.

I mean you would think Hopkins play in that LSU game would warrant more than 3 minutes and a DNP, especially when Cal preaches, "When you get your chance go in and do something to force me to play you".

I guess what Hopkins did was not enough to "force" that so I'm just wondering what one would have to do.....put up a 40 Point 25 Rebound game with 14 blocks...... maybe? LOL.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11562 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-05-2022 11:24 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not sure that I would say he isn't smart enough to "handle" more than seven players. He may not be Einstein, but he is one heck of a coach.

I cannot make sense of his substitution patterns, even though by now it is very clear he wants a very tight rotation by the end of the season. His reason? Who knows, but I don't think it is mental incompetence. I think it IS about trust, and the fact that all the games are tough starting in mid-February (second pass thru the SEC), and get more tough as we go though March.

I do feel for those kids who are clearly capable but don't get to show it on the court. I would certainly like to think that I would be a bit more equitable in giving minutes, but despite our grumblings, Cal is a hall-of-fame coach with 800 wins. It would be like me questioning a chess master on his end-game strategy. I may THINK I know better, but he will beat me anyway.

Look, we all are basketball aficionados here, and we know a thing or two (or more) about the game. And, I think we all have a consensus agreement that we wish Cal would play more players.

Last year, in addition to complaining about substitution patterns, we complained bitterly about the offense. Handy, our "inside man" with Cal, obviously passed our collective wisdom on and Cal fixed a bunch of what ailed us. Handy, can you pass our wishes on to Cal and his staff so we can move on to more pressing questions?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-05-2022 01:22 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think we can prove what has allowed Cal to win 800 games. Bur there is 2 ways he could have done it.

1. He has been a great in game coach to outfox the opponent with changes. I am not so much a great fan of this idea.

2. He could be the best recruiter of all time. I would have to pick this option. The only one who would come close to him is coach K.

Like so many have mentioned here, he just recruits the best of the best and then tells them to go out and have fun on the floor.

When he fails to get the best of the best, or he can't get them to play together, we know the reult when that happens.

The reason he's a HOF coach is he has used this philosophy wherever he has coached for a lot of years. He has had very few teams who could not just go out and win most games.

I have nothing against him but he should be reminded to listen to his self more often.

Posts: 14140 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 03-05-2022 01:32 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has consistently substituted bench-warmers who have helped the team win games and improve the overall play of the team. He may see something in practice that causes him not to play some of the guys, but some of the "few minutes" players have made a positive difference in games.
Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 03-05-2022 01:34 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:

Look, we all are basketball aficionados here,

I can’t speak for anyone else on here but I am not an aficionado. I’m married with two children, 3 grandchildren and still appreciate looking at a pretty young girl. If I was an aficionado I would be man enough to admit it. Or maybe woman enough. Whatever. Not sure what basketball has to do with ones sexual preference anyway.

As far as speaking with Cal, he only listens to me when we win.

On a saner note, I don’t second guess Cal very often. Pretty sure he has forgot more basketball than I know. However, I would love to ask him his reasoning on not playing Hopkins after the LSU game. Maybe practice ethics? Attitude? Bad hair? Got to be a reason.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-05-2022 02:03 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can't be the hair. He has far from the worst hair on the team.

Just ask, Handy. Send him a little "aficionado love" and he will answer, I am sure.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13604 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
WildcatFanatic
Player
Member # 2932

posted 03-05-2022 06:21 PM      Profile for WildcatFanatic     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Handycat. It has nothing to do with sexual preference. *Aficionado*: A person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about an activity, subject, or pastime.
"aficionados of the finest wines"

Posts: 1531 | From: Lexington, Ky | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 03-06-2022 10:37 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If "Sexual preference' has nothing to do with being enthusiastic about an activity, I don't know what does!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36269 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com