TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Does NIL reform really make that big a difference UK recruiting?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does NIL reform really make that big a difference UK recruiting?
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-12-2021 02:36 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the months leading up to July 1 — the day name, image and likeness reforms brought seismic change to high-level college sports — the narrative formed that the Kentucky men's basketball program would be among those to benefit the most under the new rules.

Pundits and recruiting analysts have said it. Former UK players have said it. Even opposing college coaches, in moments of candor on the sidelines at grassroots basketball events this summer, have said it.

John Calipari hasn't shied away from the notion. In late May, with NIL reforms still uncertain and the debate ongoing, the UK coach acknowledged that he would have to wait to see what the final regulations looked like, but he also — whatever the rules would be — leaned into the narrative.

"No one should be able to do it better than our basketball program," Calipari said. "All that we do, and all that we can do, in my mind, it should be the best in the country."

Calipari has touted Kentucky's standing as a national brand, its placement and ratings on national TV throughout the season, and he's hinted at the endorsement opportunities that would be available to his players in a city and state that follows this college basketball program more fervently than most metropolitan areas follow their professional teams.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-13-2021 10:16 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suspect this will fade quickly. Does a UK basketball player really have the time to succeed in the classroom, succeed on the court, AND succeed at marketing themselves?

I don't think so.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 08-13-2021 04:24 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip do you really think a lot of players (especially one and dones) care about the classroom that much ???

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-13-2021 08:57 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure some don't... but they screw the university if they don't make good grades. The NCAA tracks and reports on that stuff, and the university can be penalized if they fall below a certain threshold.

UK has been very high in the rankings each year. Cal pretty much lays the leather on them to study and get good grades. And that is without the benefit of a bogus "African Studies" department.

<ZING!>

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-14-2021 06:41 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nice one Sir!!!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-14-2021 11:24 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Amen! But I don't think the NIL is going to produce much more in the way of recruits than we already had. Right now Allen seems to be the only one we hear about putting out clothing with his name on it. Please tell me about others if you know of any yet. [Confused]
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com