TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Makings of a championship

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Makings of a championship
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-18-2021 08:14 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I firmly believe UK's roster has the makings of a championship team. Once again it will all depend on shooting percentage. On paper it looks outstanding but paper don't get you no championship. It must be earned on the hardwood.

I can't remember when UK has had such a diverse set of players. The grade structure is spread over all 4 classes with there being 3 freshmen, 2 sophmores, 4 juniors and 3 seniors. That will be true if Mintz returns.

There is depth at PG. There is depth at shooters. There is depth at the hoop with rebounding and defense. And this team has a lot of good defenders.

Things like missed shots under the hoop stopped us a lot last year. Turnovers stopped us last year. And a poor shooting percentage stopped us last year. They know what they have to do right to win. Lets hope everyone has a great yeaar.

Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-18-2021 09:45 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree. I don't want to get too excited, but daaamn, this team looks great.

I don't think we have been this deep (as in players who can legitimately start) since the infamous "platoon" team. Two PGs, 3 SGs, and a teeming heap of talented, athletic forwards. The only missing piece is a true "aircraft carrier" type of center.

But, wow. I think we have a stable of thoroughbreds, chomping at the bit to run, run, run.

Number 9? With a little luck, yes.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 05-19-2021 02:24 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am really excited for this team, but I am even more anxious to see what Cal does with it. Does he stick to the same tired offense we have been running, or does he spread the floor some more and look to utilize the shooters we have with more open looks from 3.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 05-20-2021 06:12 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, hopefully with Orlando leaving and coming back he'll glean some info from him about what the newest offensive schemes others are running!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 05-20-2021 05:04 PM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i am starting to think UK will never win another championship under coach cal

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-21-2021 02:30 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have an excitement level about this team that I haven't had since the 2015 squad. Talent everywhere, and upper class men leadership. I think one of the biggest problems last year was a lack of leadership.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9797 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 05-21-2021 08:45 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe it is just me but I was never a fan of Barbee and Justis and believe that tney had a lot to do with our lack of "knowing" what type of recruit they were getting!

Payne was the glue and hoping that Orlando can make up for lots of his skill and get us back on track.

I along with u guys feel this years team has all the pieces to actually make a strong run this time.

excited - yes

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-21-2021 11:37 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One point that makes me hesitate -- if Brooks and Mintz don't return, we will have only Toppin and Ware as our returnees. Other than them, our upperclassmen with be seasoned and proven college transfer players, but without experience under Cal. That always means a rocky November/December.

But by March... [Smile]

[ 05-21-2021, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 05-21-2021 11:55 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We can hope for good reason, once again
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-21-2021 12:00 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Ed,

Totally agree about Barbee; never was sold on him. Not as sure about Justice, but most DEFINITELY we missed Payne in a big way.

Orlando can help fill that gap, but not completely. Payne was probably the best assistant coach I have seen on a UK team, other than that guy Joe B. Hall. [Smile]

--------------------
Tiptree

GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 05-21-2021 12:57 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Ed,

Totally agree about Barbee; never was sold on him. Not as sure about Justice, but most DEFINITELY we missed Payne in a big way.

Orlando can help fill that gap, but not completely. Payne was probably the best assistant coach I have seen on a UK team, other than that guy Joe B. Hall. [Smile]

I really liked Leonard Hamilton as an assistant.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2259 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 05-21-2021 01:08 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good point, GA Cat. Hamilton was awesome, and was a big loss.

--------------------
Tiptree

rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 05-21-2021 03:37 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I said Barbee was a cancer when Cal hired him. The reports that came out of Auburn when he left said that none of the players liked him.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9797 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com