TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What Washington’s commitment means for UK

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Washington’s commitment means for UK
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 05-13-2021 03:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari gets his point guard
Before we get into the specifics of who Washington is as a player and how he fits, we must first address the elephant in the room: Kentucky is no longer point guard-less going into the 2021-22 season.

Following Nolan Hickman’s decommitment from UK back on April 30, the program had zero point guards signed on for next season going into the month of May, leading to a bit of uneasiness within the fanbase. With freshmen slated to arrive on campus on June 1 and summer workouts set to begin not long after, the clock was certainly ticking for UK head coach John Calipari to add a lead guard sooner rather than later.

“During my recruitment, I’ve been looking for an opportunity to come in and play right away,” Washington told KSR. “Having multiple guards on there or no guards on there, the relationship I’ve built with the coaching staff, I’m trusting the words they’re saying. Like for me, they’re saying, “Come in right away and be our point guard.”’

Kentucky gets a “bonafide dog”
Washington just isn’t any point guard, either. According to those who know him best, the newest Wildcat is a player you want on your side when the going gets tough, a “bonafide dog.”

“His parents raised him the right way, he’s built tough. Like Ford tough, he’s built that way,” Washington’s head coach at AZ Compass Prep, Ed Gipson, told KSR. “He’s going to take what he wants, he’s not going to back down from anybody. He’s a dog, a bonafide dog.

“… He’s a guy you want in your corner. If you’re in a foxhole, you want TyTy Washington there with you. That’s what you need to know right there.”

Whatever it takes to win, Washington is going to put it all out there and put the team on his back.

Shooters on shooters on shooters
Calipari has gone out of his way to add shooters this offseason, and Washington is no exception.

As a senior at AZ Compass Prep, Washington averaged 24 points, 7 assists and 6 rebounds per game while shooting 48 percent overall, 41 percent from three and 88 percent from the free throw line. The newest Wildcat was undoubtedly the best shooter at the Iverson Classic this past weekend in Memphis, and he has the hardware to prove it, winning the event’s 3-point contest. He followed it up by finishing with a team-high 22 points and five 3-pointers in the official game.

Link

[ 05-13-2021, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com