TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Dynamic Freshman Guards Ready for 2020-21 Season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dynamic Freshman Guards Ready for 2020-21 Season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-20-2021 01:02 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky's freshman guards are not a typical group of back court players in either stature or ability. One look at them will tell an observer that right away.

Point guard Devin Askew is 6-3, but Brandon Boston Jr. and Terrence Clarke look more like small forwards, both standing 6-7. That will give the 2020-21 Cats outstanding length on the wing, which will make Kentucky tough to defend. It will also make the Cats' defensive presence quite imposing.

Boston and Clarke are good friends both on and off the court. The two are looking forward to playing together this season.

"On and off the court, Terrence, that's my dog. That's my brother," Boston said. "But, on the court we just always be getting after it and we just make each other better every day in practice. Off the court, we just try to keep each other's mind right, stay sane during COVID and the pandemic. We've just got each other and that's all we've been doing so far, stay close and stay connected and take care of business."

Boston has a lot of confidence in his game, but he draws a fine line between confidence and cockiness.

"Yeah, a major difference. I feel like the game is 70% confidence, 30% mental," Boston said. "So, I feel like if you go out there with the right mindset, the right swagger, the right confidence, can't nobody stop you."

Clarke is another player with a lot of confidence, and rightfully so. This fall, both UK head coach John Calipari and assistant coach Bruiser Flint have compared Clarke's talent to that of former UK greats like John Wall and Anthony Davis.

"Just knowing that guys like Anthony Davis and John Wall obviously had great years here and going on to the NBA and being great players that they are, being in that conversation, I'm blessed. That's really all I can say. I mean, it doesn't really stop me. I've always had this confidence where I think I can be a good basketball player, a great one. For me, just hearing that, it kind of gives me even more confidence to keep working on my game and playing as hard as I can. That's really it."

Calipari has been working Clarke very hard in practice, something the freshman does not mind at all.

"Every day. Day in and day out. Every practice, I feel like every day coach has something to say to me," Clarke said. "I just kind of take it in and work as hard as I can to understand what he's saying, because obviously Coach Cal is a great coach, one of the best college basketball coaches in the world. For him being on me every day, I just take it as him wanting me to be great and as good as possible. I just work as hard as I can every day."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-20-2021 01:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
<shudder>

Thankfully, all three of those guys are gone, after underperforming (or not performing at all, like Clarke).

But, as old as this article is, it is a good reminder to ignore the hype about incoming freshmen. That class was supposed to be amazing... but it was amazingly bad.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com