TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » NCAA’s possible rule changes for men’s basketball are…interesting

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NCAA’s possible rule changes for men’s basketball are…interesting
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-14-2021 04:05 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
— Widen the lane to 16 feet

— Reset team fouls at the 10:00 minute mark of each half and begin double bonus on the 5th team foul of each 10-minute segment. This would eliminate the one-and-one free throw.

— Allow laptops, tablets, or similar devices in the bench area for coaching purposes.

— Adopt a modified six-foul rule with the following provisions:

1. A player may not commit more than three personal/technical fouls in any one half. Penalty – disqualification.

2. A player may commit three personal/technical fouls in the first half and three in the second half. In this case, the player is allowed six fouls before being disqualified.

3. A player may commit two personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on his fourth personal/technical in the second half. Total – six fouls.

4. A player may commit zero or one personal/technical fouls in the first half and would be disqualified on the player’s fourth personal/technical in the second half. See #1.

— Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

— Limit the number of timeouts that may be called by any one team in the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period to two.

— In the last two minutes of the second period or of any overtime period, allow instant replay review of potential shot-clock violations when the shot is unsuccessful.

— Eliminate the ten-second backcourt rule.

— Permit the use of Instant Replay on all basket interference/goaltending calls throughout the game, but only when a call has been made by an official.

— Permit a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

— Eliminate offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange. Would make the rule consistent with the FIBA rule.

— Adjust the traveling rule to allow a player to take two steps after lifting his pivot foot which would make moves such as the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

— Eliminate the five second closely guarded rule.

Some of these, like allowing laptops or tablets on the sidelines, are no-brainers. I even like the concept of moving to six fouls under certain conditions and limiting timeouts in the final two minutes. However, getting rid of the one-and-one free throw?! Nothing about block/charge or moving to four quarters?

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-14-2021 04:15 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catmandoo:
— Permit a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

I've been saying this for years! This would drastically reduce the length of time it takes to play the last two minutes of a game and make it more enjoyable to watch.

Also, I thought they got rid of the 5-second call a few years ago.

I think I like every rule but this one:

Award possession of the ball to the defense when they create a held ball situation.

The defense isn't always responsible for the held ball. If anything, go back to the jump ball.

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-15-2021 09:32 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The rule to allow teams to decline free throws in favor of possession would also eliminate the situation where a team is down 3 with the ball, and needs a three-pointer to tie. Under the current rule, the other team should ALWAYS foul once the clock gets down to a few seconds. That seals the victory barring an offensive rebound/put-back on the second free throw (or offensive rebound and kick-out for a three in the rare case of a missed front-end of a 1-and-1).

I am in OK of some of these, but some of them are clearly designed to make US basketball more like FIBA basketball. Since the game was invented here, why not make FIBA more like US?

The one where they will award possession to the defense on tie-ups will result in making the game even MORE physical than it is. Heck, with an extra foul, plus this change, everybody will be grabbing for the ball to try to tie it up.

As to widening the lane to 16 feet -- why? What does that do to improve the game?

Lastly, eliminating both the 10-second and 5-second rules will make the press far less effective. If they do that, then they should cut the shot clock back too.

They sure do tinker with the rules a lot in basketball. Is there something wrong with the game?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-15-2021 01:28 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Is there something wrong with the game?

What's wrong with the game actually has nothing to do with on-court play. The NBA needs to create a full-blown minor league system for kids who do not want to get a college degree. College ball would be so much better without the one-and-done, two-and-done and even three-and-done players.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-15-2021 02:25 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
While it would be less frustrating to no longer be the stepping-stone to the NBA, if the NBA did open the gates via a full-blown minor league, the quality of the college game would plummet.

To me, the answer is for the NBA to be more patient and wait for 3 or 4 years before allowing kids to enter the draft.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-16-2021 07:47 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree that the quality would take a slight dip, but the excitement and enthusiasm would take a huge turn upwards for me. The 10 years with Tubby, and his very few NBA-level players, were probably the most exciting years for me as a UK fan. I think it would all depend on whether the players with the talent of say a Marcus Lee would choose the NBA minor league or college. But now that I think about it as I type this, yeah even the kids who have no shot at the NBA would probably choose the minor league over college. College would probably be like watching DIII games.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-17-2021 02:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tubby was my all-time favorite coach too, he was always into the game and had a knack of calling the right plays at the right time.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-17-2021 03:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
.............when he had the horses to execute it.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-17-2021 08:58 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Only problem I had with Tubby is he never sniffed the final four again after winning the title with players that Rick recruited.

Oh, I don't think Rick would've won the title with that team, eh would have gotten in his own way, but Tubby would get 1 great recruit per class but could never quite push them beyond the Regional final game!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-18-2021 03:34 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I disagree about his recruiting. The 2002-2003 team was flat-out loaded:

Front court:

Chuck Hayes (Sr)
Marquis Estill (Sr)
Souleymane Camara (Sr)
Erik Daniels (Jr)
Kelenna Azubuike (Fr)

Back court:

Keith Bogans (Sr)
Gerald Fitch (Jr)
Cliff Hawkins (Jr)

Plus some fizzles in Antwain Barbour (Jr) and Josh Carrier (So).

But that was a LOADED team, and they played outstanding, tough-nosed, savvy basketball. They went undefeated in the SEC (16-0), won the SEC tournament, ended the season ranked #1, and took the 1 seed in the Midwest region.

Some honors:

Final Record: Won: 32; Lost: 4
SEC Conference Record: Won: 16; Lost: 0
Head Coach: Orlando Smith - [National Coach of Year (AP, Basketball Times, Chevrolet/CBS, CNNSI.com, ESPN, FoxSports.com, NABC, Naismith, Sporting News, USBWA) SEC Coach of Year (AP, Coaches, Rupp Cup)]

All that ended because of a twisted ankle by Bogans and inspired play by Dwane Wade of Marquette in the elite eight. But all of those players were Tubby recruits.

I thought that team was one of the all-time best at UK.

--------------------
Tiptree

catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-18-2021 06:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, your the man, savvy post!

--------------------

m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 04-18-2021 06:35 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like I said, he never made it to the final four again!
Not only did they lose that game to Wade but lost by 14 points. Sure didn't play like the #1 ranked team in the nation on that night!

[ 04-18-2021, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123991 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com