TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What Askew's decision to transfer from UK means for 2021-22 roster

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Askew's decision to transfer from UK means for 2021-22 roster
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 04-05-2021 04:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Scratch one name off the list of potential point guards for Kentucky basketball next season.

Freshman Devin Askew, who started 20 of 25 games this season, has decided to transfer.

"I am thankful for the opportunity I had to play basketball at the University of Kentucky,” Askew said in a UK news release. "I am also thankful for the coaching staff as they provided an experience that contributed to my development in this game I love. My teammates will be my friends forever and I appreciate how they pushed me day in and day out to get better.

"With that being said, it will be part of my growth in this game to explore a new opportunity and enter the transfer portal."

Askew's departure ends an up-and-down year at Kentucky that saw him take much of the criticism from fans for the team's abysmal 9-16 record. After graduating high school a year early to enroll at Kentucky, Askew averaged 6.5 points, 2.9 assists and two turnovers per game.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 04-05-2021 04:22 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I wish the best for him, but he wasn’t UK starting PG material.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 04-05-2021 04:22 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a shocker! Who would have ever thought it?

My problem with this “situation” was the verbal abuse this young man had to endure from other UK fan social media sites. Thankfully not here.

I agree with Enterprisecat, he simply was not UK point guard material. I’m sure he is a great kid and wish him luck.

[ 04-05-2021, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-05-2021 07:43 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It mentions that UofL had recruited him. So, y'all know what is going to happen.

He transfers to UofL, becomes a 4-year player, and torches us for 30 every time we play.

Write it down. You heard it here first.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 04-05-2021 11:33 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
It mentions that UofL had recruited him. So, y'all know what is going to happen.

He transfers to UofL, becomes a 4-year player, and torches us for 30 every time we play.

Write it down. You heard it here first.

Tip,

I don’t see that happening. The kid plays hard and gives it everything he has, but he is simply not that talented. I wish him the best wherever he goes and even if it is Louisville I hope he proves me wrong. Seems like a great kid. My guess is he transfer back to the West Coast.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 04-06-2021 08:40 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey,

I was putting on my pessimism hat; it was tongue-in-cheek. I think he will be a serviceable guard for mid-majors, and a capable reserve for bigger-name programs. And he could grow into a much better player than we saw.

Sometimes, a particular coach or system doesn't draw out the best in a player, and they go find a better fit elsewhere and thrive. I doubt he will go to UofL, and if he does, I doubt he will drop 30 on us. But maybe, somewhere, he can find his spot.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-06-2021 02:31 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey Ball... was Juzang not that talented or did Cal just not play him because he wasn't a 5 Star ??? He lit it up during the ncaa tourney.
Askew transferring may or not make him better but I bet it doesn't make him worse. He was recruited to uk not the other way around. It wasn't his fault Cal recruited him even though apperantly he wasn't quite good enough for Cal to play him more.

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 04-06-2021 03:38 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I honestly have no clue as to what Cal sees when recruiting. All I can think of is their national ranking. He has signed quite a few highly-ranked, supposedly one-and-done recruits, that just didn't seem to be that talented.

Mel, I think Juzang was talented but never got the opportunity to play. Mick Cronin seemed to have no trouble getting the most out of JJ.

[ 04-06-2021, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 04-06-2021 08:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Askew was leaving school ayear early and he was not the type of kid that was ready to be a starter on this big of a stage. Cal gave him way more than he should have trying to make him a high major PG. He was not ready. He will probably end up in CA somewhere at one of the mid majors or as a reserve at a higher school. But he will still have 4 more years due to the Covid to get his act together. I don't think it will ever be good enough to get drafted.
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 04-06-2021 10:25 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
BC... what do you think about Baylor's players ??? All of the starters were 3 and 4 stars coming out of HS. I am tired of the one and dones and hope Coach Davis goes more with the kids that will be around 3-4 years mixing in a one and done every so often but not the whole team. Look at UNC, Villinova, Virginia and now Baylor they all won with 3 and 4 year players. IMHO the one and done gets you good players but not Nationial Championships. Askew not ever getting drafted is not thw worst thing that can happen to a player. How many players off of the teams I mentioned above are in the nba now (not counting Baylor since they just won) ??? Without looking I would guess not many. I know Justin Jackson from UNC is but after that I have no idea because I don't and won't watch the nba.

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com