TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » My wrap up of the season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My wrap up of the season
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-11-2021 03:34 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I want to get this over with quick so I can move on to next year.

Most of this happening is on Cal. He recruited these guys. He let the other teams around the country sign most of the top kids he really went after for months and months, to no avail. He settled for what we have, which is not enough to make a decent team of UK standards (the gold standard as he put it).

We ended up with Ware and Fletcher who are not the ones he wanted to see in blue. He lost the two top PGs he wanted so he convinced Askew to leave early so he would have a PG. NOT!!!

After watching today I feel that Clarke and Jackson were the only two who deserved 1 and done consideration. But Clarke proved my point as far as I'm concerned. He could have played 2 or 3 weeks ago but was afraid of hurting his draft status by playing on this lousy team. He showed no signs of an injury today and matter of fact he played very well.

I think Sarr fooled everyone. He can shoot a good 3 pointer but he is not an inside man. Not much help for a team that expected to rely on his inside help.

Toppin has played very good at times and is progressing just fine for next year. I hope Mintz decides to return because we will need him on the ball and shooting both. Brooks is still learning and should treturn for his junior year.

Allen has showed Cal twice he needs to be playing more than 20 minutes a game. His defense is not much worse than Askew. Boston will not make the first round in the draft if he leaves.

Who stays and goes. I believe Ware, Fletcher, Clsrke, Sarr, Jackson and Askew leave. I believe Mintz, Toppin, Brooks, Allen and Boston will be the only returnees.

We all know why Fletcher will leave and I believe Ware will see the writing on the wall with Tshiebwe and Collins coming in and Toppin and Brooks returning. That would be a good foursome on the front line for us next season and Ware showed today that he may never be forceful enough to get playing time next year.

With Mintz, Allen and Boston coming back and Hickman and Hopkins coming in we should be good in the backcourt and wings.

Thats five returning and four coming in already Cal will have room for 4 more bodies, which he may fill two of them. I could be all wrong on some of these kids but it won't be the first time.

[ 03-11-2021, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-11-2021 06:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I HOPE Allen comes back next year, along with Mintz. Those two need to be on the floor at the same time as much as possible. I really liked how Allen was moving without the ball today, and the rest of the players found him when he got open. THAT is a huge change, and bodes well for next year. But, in reality, I can see scenarios where they both leave.

Askew... you think he will transfer? I have no insight one way or the other, but I see him staying for another couple of years. Somebody besides Hopkins needs to spell our three starting perimeter players. There are elements of Askew's game that I like. But he has a lot to learn to be effective as an SEC-caliber point guard.

Similarly, there are elements of Ware's game that I like. He is tough, and rangey. He would benefit from more time at UK, but you seem to have him as a transfer. Maybe. Again, no insight into these kids' heads. But wherever he goes, he has upside.

IF (and it is still a big "IF") Boston returns, that would be great. Even better if Clarke decides not to risk it this year. That might be a problem getting enough PT for all the perimeter players, but we would actually HAVE perimeter players.

Agree that Toppin and Brooks are likely to return, and both will play big roles next year. Toppin might be the best candidate to replace the rebounding and shot-blocking we lose with Jackson going pro. He sure has hops! For that matter, Brooks can get off the floor too.

Sarr? I think he will return to France and play Euro ball. He has the tools to be a star in their style of play.

Fletcher? We will see. He has a big body, and with coaching, can be a contributor. Depends on who he wants to coach him, I guess.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 03-11-2021 06:20 PM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No PG or true post up big man killed us this year. Also, we didn’t have a single player who could beat their man off the dribble. Cal’s coaching was probably the worst of his tenure at UK. Just glad this season is over. If this repeats next year then it’s time to look at a coaching change. Cal has been great for UK, but this is unacceptable. I’m looking forward to football now. Go Big Blue!

[ 03-11-2021, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: EnterpriseCat ]

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 03-11-2021 06:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not much to add to what you guys posted.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-11-2021 07:15 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No true PG, well not found until the 23rd game of the season for some reason(he had another 8 assists today); no shooters (well, there was one guy but he didn't get too much faith from the coaching staff); no post player (there was a 3rd team all ACC post player but he wasn't used to his strengths, it's was more like Cal trying to fit a square peg in a round hole); not a very good defensive team, although we could have tried some different defenses to see what was best for this team; no offensive system to help bring out the best in the team; no help from the sideline. TBH I'm just glad this season is over. I can't help but think if Cal would have played Mintz at PG earlier in the season how different things might have been. I think we win at least 5 of the games we lost. And that is all on Cal. I have no idea how the heck Cal thought that Askew was a better option than Mintz, or why he thought Mintz wouldn't be able to score from the PG position. I mean, there were plenty of guys on here that knew Mintz was the best option for PG. Just crazy that a hall of fame coach, who gets 9 million a year couldn't figure this out better. I sure hope he takes a good, hard look at his coaching this year and really reevaluates alot, especially the offense.
Posts: 5439 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-11-2021 10:07 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If no one noticed it Cal put Askew back in the game for about the last 4 minutes and only took him out with 7 seconds to go. Again, Cal did a poor job on deciding who should be in the game the last 4 minutes.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-11-2021 11:16 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Askew... you think he will transfer? I have no insight one way or the other, but I see him staying for another couple of years. There are elements of Askew's game that I like. But he has a lot to learn to be effective as an SEC-caliber point guard.

Tip,

I'm being dead serious here, but what aspects of Askew's game do you like? I watched today's game for the first time in weeks and he looked like the same lost player that I saw previously. He provided nothing in 21 minutes of playing time.

I hate to say it because I know the kid tries his hardest and that is all you can ask of him, but he is in WAY WAY WAY over his head at this level.

He has very weak handles for a PG, he does not see the floor AT ALL, he can't shoot, and he can't defend.

If Coach Cal is honest with him he tells him to transfer to a low level NAIA school. I really don't think he is capable of being effective at that level either. I'm not sure how he was effective in High School. It makes me wonder if he played against some really bad high school competition.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 03-11-2021 11:24 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ukman:
Just crazy that a hall of fame coach, who gets 9 million a year couldn't figure this out better. I sure hope he takes a good, hard look at his coaching this year and really reevaluates alot, especially the offense.

ukman,

I tend to agree with you. I think Cal's biggest issue is his loyalty to his former players that he has brought in as assistants. Tony Barbee and Bruiser Flint have been terrible head coaches previously and proven they are just as bad as assistant coaches through numerous years prior to UK. What has Barbee done for the last 6 years he has been at UK? Nothing that I can think of and he did nothing at Auburn as the head coach.

Cal has surrounded himself with "Yes" men as his top assistants and that will never work. He needs a Kenny Payne, Slice Rohrssen, or John Robic type of assistants. It's no mistake that UK and Cal were at their best when he had excellent assistant coaches.

Kenny Payne and John Robic were terrific. No head coach can do it alone, but I really think that is where Cal is today with Barbee and Flint.

[ 03-11-2021, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 03-12-2021 09:39 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thought Robic was there still.

I do think Payne is the person we miss most!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-12-2021 09:42 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey, I agree with you 100% on the weak assistant coaches. Cal needs to send his friends to other schools, and find a couple of assistants who can recruit, relate to the players, and tell Cal when he is full of sh*t.

I read last night that there is a possibility of Orlando Antigua coming back to UK. That would be a big step up. He flamed out as a head coach at USF, then spent the last four years at Illinois, and look at how that program has improved!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13623 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-12-2021 10:12 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Robic is still there but he is not involved in the coaching during games. I have to agree about the coaching. No one is giving him help during games like Payne did. You saw himin Cal's face a lot during games and was always talking to him on the bench. Of course we had no benches this year. I think Trey sees Askew the same as me, he just doesn't have it for this level. Another one is Ware. He is in the right place most of the time but he just doesn't defend shooters hardly at all. Who knows what fletcher could do but I think he is just waiting to transfer to a school he can start at. For all we've been told, I can't believe how well Clarke played yesterday. I think Cal talked him into playing to try to make the NCCAA's. It almost worked except for a pile of missed shots under the basket by Jackson, Sarr and Brooks.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-17-2021 06:06 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well my quick predictions weren't completely correct. Askew thinks he can be a Quickly by returning. I hope he can. This past year he should have stayed in high school and maybe now he will be a little more ready, but I'll have to see it before I'll get on board. Ware also seems to want to try it again but this time he's going to have some other competition to beat. I think his actions are just a little slow, so if he can get faster on his reactions he would be a big help. I'm glad Flrtcher rode the season out with Cal instead of jumping out during the season. To me it looks like he got the better of Cal by doing that. Now he can transfer knowing that he didn't abandon ship, it was Cal who abandoned him.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com