TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What's up with Allen?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's up with Allen?
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-02-2021 01:09 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Allen's body language is all bad these days. Slumped shoulders, not "into" the game, just floating around and not really helping the team.

I know there seems to be some bad vibes between him and the other freshmen (not sure about Mintz), but come on, man. You need to get in there when you get your chance and leave it all on the floor!

I wonder if he is just biding his time until he announces a transfer. Of all the players on the team that we need to return and get better, Allen has to top the list. We will have a real log-jam in the front-court next year, but it looks like we will again be thin in the back-court. If Allen would commit to really improving his game, he could start next year. But that means great defense, and moving and cutting to get open on offense. One great game does not a legend make... But one great season will. Come on, Mr. Allen -- show the world what a Kentucky Mr. Basketball can do!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-02-2021 03:00 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal commented after the Fla loss that he put Allen in to make some shots and that no one would get him the ball. I was astonished because it's the first time Cal has acknowledged that.

Maybe it's just his demeanor but it does seem like he doesn't really care anymore. I feel bad for him because he's basically wasting a year of eligibility.

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 03-02-2021 05:38 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is Cal not the coach ??? If not one will give him the ball shouldn't Cal steo forward and let the others know that they are a team and they all play together ???
Sounds like Allen is is wanting to leave since no one will throw him the ball. Why would he want to stay ???

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-02-2021 05:55 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think you nailed it, Mel. Cal is really big on identifying his "top 7" players; once he does so, those guys are golden. They will get their minutes no matter what.

Allen is not in the "top 7". So, when others don't throw him the ball, he shrugs his shoulders and pulls Allen, instead of pulling the person who is doing the wrong thing!

Sometimes I think Cal gets too caught up in pop psychology and his "band of brothers" meme, and forgets some of the basics of coaching.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 03-02-2021 06:24 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Same goes for Ware. I don't think he's a bad player by any means. Sure he has his freshman moments, but so do Cal's NBA darlings. Maybe the reason we can't close tight games is because of fatigue. Just the fact that Askew and Boston get so many minutes - while the entire grit-eating world knows that they're not that good - while Ware and Allen fade away on the end of the bench tells us all we need to know. Cal has his favorites and that's all there is to it.
Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ALA_KAT2
Player
Member # 1559

posted 03-02-2021 06:31 PM      Profile for ALA_KAT2   Email ALA_KAT2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As much as I’d like Allen to stay at UK and be given a chance to play more and improve, I do not think Cal will ever give him a legitimate shot. Cal has already decided (IMHO) that Dontae is a second tier player and Cal will recruit over him and play his “chosen ones” over Dontae in order to keep his NBA or bust mantra alive.
That’s why Cal cannot build any continuity in the program and why we hardly ever have any returning players who start tge next year. PJ was one exception.

--------------------
Adair CHS 1966/USAF/WKU/AT&T

GO BIG BLUE!

Posts: 4046 | From: Louisville, KY | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 03-02-2021 06:42 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think part of it is definitely "Cal's way", but part of it is on Dontae. He can come in and make an impact on the game even if they don't give him the ball.

But, he slumps around and really doesn't seem to care. That is just a bad attitude. Players who are given the chance but fail to show effort will never be rewarded, no matter who is the coach.

--------------------
Tiptree

ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 03-02-2021 07:40 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Agree Tip. Cal has not helped him out any, but there is never a reason for a player to pout, or just go through the motions. I can understand him being down, but he should work his tail off when he gets his chance. At the end of the season Allen will transfer somewhere else and he'll be the next shooting guard to go somewhere else and average 12-14 points a game and shoot 35% or better from 3. See Baker and Juzang. Sure wish Cal would learn how to value shooters and keep them around. Sure would be nice to have some shooters on the floor.
Posts: 5420 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 03-03-2021 12:39 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it's too late for Allen. I stated along time ago that the players will not get him the ball when he has a couple seconds to get set before shooting. Askew is the worst one of the bunch and always has been. I noticed tonight that Cal finally sat Askew down a lot and let Mintz run the offense. Askew could be in bad trouble next year with Hickman coming i9n. I think Hickman will eat Askew up. Askew is so darn slow especially in his passing. I hate to keep bringing it up but how many layups and 2 foot shots did we miss again??? These guys no nothing about shooting. Cal knew it and I think there is not much he can do to help them. Some of them will never be better than good high school players.

[ 03-03-2021, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14119 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com