TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Sarr unsure on his future; says he’s been blessed to play at Kentucky

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sarr unsure on his future; says he’s been blessed to play at Kentucky
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2021 04:52 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To this point, the belief has been 2020-21 would be Olivier Sarr’s final season of college basketball.

Though the transfer center from Wake Forest hasn’t had the senior season he’d hoped for, he’s still been expected to go pro once this season ends, whether he lands in the NBA or overseas.

But is returning to Kentucky for a fifth season actually an option?

During Friday’s meeting with the media, Sarr admitted that he’s not made a decision on his future. He’s instead focused on being the best he can be for the Wildcats as they look to make a near-miraculous run to the NCAA Tournament.

“We’re in the final homestretch of the season, so honestly, my mind is on the end of the season and trying to be the best version of myself every night, every game,” Sarr stated. “I think that’s a good question. That’s a question that I think about. I don’t have the answer yet, but I’m just glad to be here and happy to finish the season.”

Though Sarr obviously has aspirations of playing professional basketball, he also highly values the college education he’s been fortunate enough to pursue.

“I think for me it’s all about how I was raised. My dad comes from Africa. He comes from Senegal. Basically I’m trying to do what he did. He left for a better life. I’m not saying that I had bad conditions back home, but he left for a better life and went to France and studied, earned his degree and he is now living a comfortable life. He built his own legacy, and I think that’s the path I want to choose.

“Being able to be in this position today, it’s a blessing for me. It’s a way of remembering what my dad taught me and he’s still teaching me to this day. It’s just an honor to be able to do that.”

Link

[ 02-26-2021, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-26-2021 05:37 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Now, THAT kid has his head screwed on straight! Sure wish we heard more of that from our players.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-26-2021 07:09 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It would be great to have another big guy back next year because we don't know how our two bigs will adapt to the college scene. His draeback is he has seen decreased PT this second half of the season with Jackson, Toppin and Brooks getting more PT. Will he get enough PT next year to satisfy him? But he will be getting more education for the future if nothing else.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-26-2021 07:09 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, He is special no doubt about it here is another story about him you and all UK fans will like.

As a fan base, particularly one as rabid as the Big Blue Nation, it is easy to get wrapped up only in wins and losses, trophies and banners.

Then you meet someone like Olivier Sarr.

The 7-foot transfer from Wake Forest by way of his home in Bordeaux, France, has been centerstage for one of the most difficult seasons in Kentucky basketball history, at least to this point. Yet, he has savored every drop like a sip of water for someone wandering the desert.

"For me, it’s all about how I was raised,” Sarr said recently. “My dad comes from Africa, from Senegal. Basically, I’m trying to do what he did.”

Massar Sarr taught his son to reach for the stars.

“He left for a better life,” Sarr said. “He went to France and studied, earned his degree and he is now living a comfortable life. He built his own legacy.

“Now, I think that’s the path I want to choose,” he said. “Being able to be in this position today, it’s a blessing for me. It’s a way of remembering what my dad taught me and he’s still teaching me to this day. It’s just an honor to be able to do that.

“Earning a degree, especially in college in the U.S. is something that not a lot of people are doing back home,” he said. “I know it will be recognized over there, so it’s an honor.”

It was an opportunity Sarr feared might not come to be. It was days before the season opener in November before he received clearance from the NCAA to play this season.

“We forget, but I’m just grateful to be able to play honestly,” Sarr said. “Not so long ago, I didn’t know if I was going to be able to wear the Kentucky jersey. That news was, I mean, when I heard about it, I told you guys that the reaction from the fan base and coach was incredible.”

That’s just one memory Sarr is eager to share with family and friends in France.

“I tell them that it’s amazing regardless of wins and losses,” he said. “It’s amazing to put on that jersey. Four years ago, I would have never thought I would be in this position today.

“Not a lot of kids in France get a chance to play for Kentucky or a school like that,” Sarr said. “I’m blessed, honestly. All I can tell them is I’m trying to take as much as I can while I’m here and keep moving forward.”

Though it’s more than 4,000 miles away, Kentucky basketball is not lost in the wine country of Bordeaux.

“Not a lot of people know a lot about college basketball, but they definitely know about Kentucky,” Sarr said. “They know it’s one of the biggest programs in college basketball, one of the best programs in college basketball. So, they definitely know about Kentucky.”

If Kentucky is big in France so, too, must be Sarr?

“I don’t know if I’m a role model or not, but I know a lot of people follow what I’m doing here,” he said. “I’m trying to behave myself as best I can. I’ve got a little brother (Alexandre), so I’m trying to set the example for him even though he doesn’t really need me right now. He plays for Real Madrid. That’s who I’m trying to, not impress but lead, and hopefully and it inspires a lot of younger kids to pursue their dreams, too.”

Sarr’s not done dreaming either. There are still games to be played in this Kentucky basketball season, which now sits at three wins in a row.

“Honestly, it’s been a tough year. It’s a lot of obstacles,” Sarr said. “But we’re learning so much from that. I think later in our lives we will be grateful for that moment even though at that time in the present it’s really hard to get through. But we feel the support. There are a lot of fans out there that support us and it’s incredible.”

And there is, at long last, daylight.

“We know our value, we know our worth and we know what we are capable of,” Sarr said. “I think it’s just being able to play freely and trust your teammates and know that we can compete with any team in the country.”

Link

[ 02-26-2021, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com