TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Dream big, I guess.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dream big, I guess.
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2021 01:11 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari after the game:
quote:
“… I mean, this group, this young — being what they have been through and doing what they are doing, I’m proud of them. This may be one of those years, if we keep this going, that I talk about this was the greatest year for me ever.”

Yeah, and I want really to win the lottery... twice. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 02-14-2021 07:05 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He's saying what he has to say, but there's no way this team wins it all.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 02-14-2021 07:41 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they could miraculously win the SEC tournament I’d consider that more of an accomplishment than a NC for other UK teams. Lol

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-14-2021 09:56 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, this is the season that was to be...........be what you ask? #1 recruiting class with three of the best transfers and a very good sophomore player coming back. But they were the wrong ones. We have lost to several of the top choices that Cal wanted for this years team. He failed this year in many ways, but it starts with recruiting and this is his biggest failure this year.

I just hope what he has signed for next year, although they weren't his top choices again, will provide the abilities needed to bring us back to the top echelon.

Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-14-2021 03:24 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think what Cal is saying is that even without winning the SEC tournament, and without a bid to the NCAA, if he can get this team playing well to end out the season, he will consider it his greatest accomplishment.

And, I think I might have to agree with him.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-14-2021 03:31 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The way to build a future is in Cal's hands. Advise both Clarke and Boston to stay in school. Hope that Jackson stays too (he is almost certainly gone, though).

So, assuming that Fletcher and Allen both transfer, and Jackson goes pro, imagine our roster:

Forward: Tshiebwe (he looks to be a prototypical Cal power-forward), Brooks, Toppin, Ware, and the freshmen Collins and Hopkins. Wow. That is a loaded front-court.

Guards: Mintz, Askew, Boston, Clarke, and the freshman Hickman, who I hope is quick, slashing, dishing point guard.

That would be an amazing team. No true big man, but plenty of athleticism and length in the frontcourt. lots of guards, with experience. The team will go as Hickman goes, but he will have plenty of targets.

[ 02-14-2021, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-14-2021 03:43 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
I think what Cal is saying is that even without winning the SEC tournament, and without a bid to the NCAA, if he can get this team playing well to end out the season, he will consider it his greatest accomplishment.

And, I think I might have to agree with him.

If that is his greatest accomplishment then he needs to step down and go coach at some mid-major school.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-14-2021 04:17 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paulcat,

Let me explain what I mean. As a teacher, getting excellent results from outstanding, smart kids is easy. But when I can get the "low performer" to rise up, THAT is an achievement.

Given the terrible environment that deprives UK of what makes UK an awesome place to play, this team has been surrounded by negativity all year long (and I am guilty of that more than most). Usually, there is nothing but support and huge, supportive crowds. Not this year. There is no energy either at home or on the road to propel our young guys to a new level. All we are left with is the grind... slow, methodical progress without the exhilarating breakouts. No crowd willing the home team to a victory. No massive 'blue mist' following the team on the road. Nothing.

So, I fully understand what Cal is saying. It is far, far harder to get these kids to achieve greatness, both because of the environmental issues and because, as a group, they are just a notch less college-ready than prior classes.

I stand by my statement. And I do NOT want Cal to go.

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-14-2021 05:38 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
His best bet to get the fans behind him is to get these freshmen to stay another year to prove they have what it takes to win at the highest level. So far all they have proven is they don't know how to win or play a full game. It won't be any easier if they decide to leave. And I don't think Jackson will be near the top of anyone's draft board. so far he can't shoot a lick. How do you make a two footer??
Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 02-14-2021 07:05 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip, I am a UNC fan but when you say your players are low preformers I have to disagree. They are low performing this year but they are 5 star players. Every school is without fans yelling for them and following them, they still have to play. I coached HS for 34 years and I always told my kids you have to perform every night out. Sometimes we were in hostile gyms and other times almost empty gyms on the road but they knew they had to play our game no matter the surroundings. I have no idea why your players and UNC's to some extent aren't playing up to their abilities but as I told my kids you have to take possession of your season, no one else can do it for you !!! This is a bad year but you can blame everything else out there but at the end of the day you are the one in control of how you play and the attitude you bring to the court everyday !!!

Just my opinions...

MEL

[ 02-15-2021, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: MEL ]

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 02-15-2021 07:37 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand you, Tip. My original thought was that it just isn't gonna happen. I think we lose more games and fail to make the Big Dance. And I do hate when Cal thinks of his greatest accomplishments as having five guys drafted in the first round, or that he can have a team finish .500 and be the greatest year of his career. That shouldn't be the case for the head coach of UK.

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com