TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Seth Greenberg calls out Big Blue Nation

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seth Greenberg calls out Big Blue Nation
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-11-2021 10:42 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We all know that the Kentucky Wildcats are having a historically bad season. And it sucks. It sucks for the players, for the coaches, and for the fans. But the outrage against John Calipari has risen above any level that we have ever seen. There are some fans even calling for him to lose his job.

Calipari has had amazing success during his time at Kentucky. A national championship, more Final Fours, Elite Eights, and tournament wins than anyone during that time. Kentucky has not been to a final four since 2015, but they have been very close on multiple occasions.

Former coach and current analyst Seth Greenberg cannot believe the outrage coming from Kentucky fans. Yes, this season is hard to watch. But he wonders if Big Blue Nation has forgotten about all the success Calipari has brought to Lexington.

“The last time I checked, it’s SEC championships, it’s Elite Eights, it’s Final Fours and putting a bunch of guys in the league as lottery picks that transition into the NBA seamlessly,” Greenberg said on The Paul Finebaum show on Tuesday. “Look, this has been a difficult season, there’s no doubt about it. I think it’s actually a joke but I understand ‘fan’ is short for ‘fanatic,’ and that’s just the way it is. There’s an expectation at Kentucky that’s different than maybe anywhere else in the country. Including Duke, including North Carolina, including everywhere. Everyone’s gonna have to be held accountable. That’s John Calipari, man. C’mon now. Look what he’s done, look at the consistency of his program. His guys never get in trouble, they all do the right thing, they all come back and give back, they all leave the program and are among the most philanthropic people in the NBA.”

I see no lies here. Some of this season’s frustrations are understandable, but you have to give someone a mulligan every now and then. Calipari has earned the right to a bad season every now and then. I do not agree with Seth Greenberg much, but we are on the same page here.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 02-11-2021 11:01 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I too, am on the same page as Greenburg on this one. How quickly we forget.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 02-11-2021 12:13 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am sure their are a few fans that feel like Greeberg points out but believe the "vast" majority of the true Kentucky fan know how lucky we are to have a coach like Cal. We are 335-90 for a little over 73%.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 02-11-2021 12:17 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want Cal to leave, or be fired.

I want Cal to open his eyes. Look at the outcomes his system, his advice, his offense has generated. Realize his shortcomings, and adapt.

The game has changed. Yes, with superior talent, we will win a lot of games. But the consistent winners are programs that blend young talent with wily veterans. Yes, we can score OK running your "circle jerk" offense, but consistent winning teams feature a modern offense with spacing and motion and feature 3-point shooters. And yes, you have sent a ton of kids to the NBA, but many of them languish in the g-league or end up in some nameless team overseas, slogging out a living. Sure, let the Anthony Davis's and the John Walls go pro immediately. But keep those that simply are not ready in college, or at least strongly urge them to stay. Instead of bringing back only the successful NBA players to give pep talks, bring back Kyle Wiltjer to provide the other side of the story.

Oh, and get Kenny Payne back, please. Damn, the program needs that man.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 02-11-2021 01:30 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am on the same wagon as Tip. Cal has built a top program and hedefinitely concentrates his effort on the "Player First" plan. I have to admit there has been a change in the performance of the players since 2015. He no longer is able to sign the top players he did in the first 5 years of his program. He has had to fight a lot harder to get not quite the same kind of results he had earlier. Like Tip says we all know he must come up with a better offensive plan or the program will not rise to the top again, or as he has said "the gold standard" will be very tarnished in a short time. But he is not the only one. The other 3 Blue Ribbon programs are learning the same lesson. Other programs are rising above these 4 programs by enticing the better players, along with some of the 4 stars to build teams that win a lot of games. I guess they are giving notice that our coach can beat your coach. It's time for Cal to wake up and make some changes. Keep the kids in school until they can make it in the NBA draft and remain on an NBA team when they are drafted.
Posts: 14172 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com