TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What would work?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What would work?
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-16-2021 09:00 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think it is time to stop worrying about hurting player's delicate feelings, and put some egos on the bench.

I would start Allen, Mintz, Askew, Brooks and Jackson. You can swap in Toppin or Ware and I would be fine. If not, they would be the first guys off the bench, and Clarke would join them once he heals up.

Sarr and BJ need to sit on the bench. Like, for a long time. Maybe they get in with a short leash. Sarr needs to watch until he decides to play hard, play smart, and play IN THE POST. BJ just needs to sit, PERIOD. If he earns some time from excellence in practice, let him play up until his first turnover (which won't take long).

Brooks, Ware, Jackson and Toppin all play hard and play smart. Mintz and Askew can play OK as lead guards, and both can shoot the spot-up jumper. Allen just needs to be ON THE FREAKIN' FLOOR.

Add in Clarke, and there is your 8-man rotation.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 01-16-2021 09:13 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good analysis Tip but that won't get done at KY.

When you have a glorified "agent" that is a coach he will put the ones on the floor who have the best chance of making it in the NBA.

We as fans, have no idea what he told Boston et al ref playing time even though he says one must "earn it.

With the talent Coach (agent) has recruited, it is a disgrace that we have one "one" title and now it appears we can not even get back to the FF. His players do however, continue to go to the NBA and flourish. He gets 9mil a year and a deep satisfaction he is doing what he was meant to do.

We fans, will just have to put up with it cause he ain't going to change!

P.s. with experience in the college you will not win titles unless u have an AD which was a freak not the norm..

[ 01-16-2021, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-16-2021 09:31 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal says he took Allen out because they were running plays for him and he wouldn’t shoot.

I think Cal needs to watch some game tape. I would like to know what shots he thinks Allen passed up. I saw many times Allen was open but never got the ball from Boston, Askew, Mintz or anyone else on the team

Cal is delusional on this.

Allen needs to get 20 plus shots a game for UK to be competitive. If I were Allen I would transfer to Alabama of Auburn. Kid would put up 20 plus per game in either of those offenses.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-16-2021 10:12 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If you hadn't noticed guys, this season is over.. Like Trey said Cal has his loyalties to the 5 stars so they can get away with a one and done to the NBA. Don't look now Cal but your favorite son is not going to make it in the NBA. Boston will never learn unless he IS MADE TO LEARN. i DON'T BELIEVE HE IS CAPABLE OF CHANGING.

Askew is too young and should have stayed in high school. He tries but he is playing out of control a lot of the time trying to speed up his game like Cal wants him to do.

And once someone makes a bad mistake it seems to be contagious.

The guards don't see Allen very often when he is open and I wonder why he even continues to try, other than he has to so he can get some PT.

I don't go into any games anymore expecting or hoping to win. If we win another game this year it will be a miracle. We are permanently out of the NCAA tourney this year and maybe both of the other tourneys. We'll be lucky to win an SEC tourney game.

Hoping we can get in double digit wins this year. Billy G should be fired! Oh, sorry about that. I meant that other guy. [Big Grin] [Mad]

[ 01-16-2021, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14120 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-17-2021 11:13 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama,

Askew isn't young. He was held back a year in middle school to "develop", so he is essentially a real freshman age-wise. I really like how he is progressing. He is tough, a good defender, and can hit the jumper well enough that defenders have to respect it. He can drive the ball (but not at the elite-level we have been spoiled with). He moves well without the ball. He is a solid college lead guard. And, I get the feeling that he actually wants to play for Kentucky, and isn't focusing so much on the NBA.

Ditto for Mintz. He is an older, wiser Askew. And, he seems to be honored to have the opportunity to play here. Both Askew and Mintz are B+ lead guards. We have been used to a steady diet of A+ guards, so we are disappointed.

I also like how well Allen has been playing. He plays far better defense than I expected, he rebounds OK, and he can shoot. He also can drive the ball better than I expected. And, as a Kentucky kid, I hope he takes extra pride playing for UK. He gets a solid A- as a college 2-guard.

Toppin is also a pleasant surprise. I love his athleticism and his attitude. He seems genuinely happy to be at Kentucky, and proud to play for the university. I give him a B+ as a forward, with lots of upside to improve that grade.

Brooks has exceeded my expectations as well. Not in flashy stats, but in his understanding of the game and his role on the team. He has a nose for the ball, and seems to be in the right place at the right time. He is a blue-collar, hard-working guy who wears the uniform proudly. I give him a solid B+ as well, and I expect him to be a 4-year player that will become a A+ "glue guy" for the Cats.

Jackson is a defensive freak of nature, and we should be playing him against the opponents best big men. He doesn't provide much on offense other than dunks and put-backs, but he is a game changer at the rim. Grade B+ for his offensive shortcomings, but with the potential to grow into a solid A. Unfortunately, I think he is gone after one year, as the NBA can always use players like him.

Ware plays tough, plays hard, and for the most part, plays well. I think he has lots of upside as a power forward/center. Right now I give him a B, bordering on a B+. He also seems to be darn happy to be wearing UK blue, and I think he will be a 2, 3 or even a 4-year player.

Sarr is a disappointment. Honestly, Cal doesn't know how to play him. While I would like him to develop a back-to-the-basket game, it just isn't in him. He is a Euro-style big man, which means his offensive game is facing the basket, even taking 3-point shots. So, leave the banging in the paint to Jackson and Ware. If we play Sarr at all, play to his strengths. Run an offense where he can do a pick-and-pop or a high screen with the option to shoot. I blame Cal for not understanding how to use him. But I blame Sarr for his poor defensive focus and lackadaisical attitude. Grade C, with LOTS of upside.

My mind isn't made up on Clarke. He started off shaky, then got noticeably better before his was injured. I think he can be a good guard/SF for us, but I also think his mind is set to go pro this spring. So, we may never know. He would really benefit from another year at UK, but he has NBA written all over him.

And, last, we have Boston. Cal is doing him no favors by keeping him as as starter. Benching Askew really helped him grow as a player. I think Boston needs the same treatment. Put him on the bench and make him earn his PT. And, that has to be more than earning it in practice. He has to earn it in the game by making positive contributions. As it stands now, when he is on the floor, we are not a better team. By that metric alone, he should sit.

One thing about Boston bothers me... he is very inward focused, citing meditation and self-improvement as part of his life. I think he is TOO inwardly focused. It seems to be that he doesn't really give a damn about UK, about his teammates, whether or not we win, or anything except BJ. And that attitude is crippling his ability to adapt to the college game, which is far more team-oriented than he is accustomed to. It will be even worse in the NBA. I would advise that young man to play not for himself, but for his team. Then maybe he will start sinking those shots that are clunking off the rim, stop making those silly turnovers, and stop getting beat by his man on defense. Right now, Boston gets a D. I think he can be an A, but not this year.

[ 01-17-2021, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-17-2021 12:30 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip,

I agree with most of the analysis above on Askew specifically I agree that he is: mentally tough, defends well enough, and has a nice jump shot.

That being said he is not a PG in my opinion. He cannot facilitate an offense against average on ball defenders because his ball handling is very shaky and he has absolutely no court vision or awareness. His court vision is so bad he can't see the easy play in front of him most times.

He needs to play off of the ball. Cal is trying to force a square peg in a round hold by playing the kid at PG at this level. I suspect Cal is doing that because he knows Askew has NBA aspirations and he would have to play PG in the NBA.

[ 01-17-2021, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11532 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-17-2021 06:37 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Trey,

You will notice that I fudged a little and said "lead guard". Askew doesn't have the athleticism to be a 21st-century point guard. He would have been adequate for the half-court style of the 80s.

But, I agree. He would be better served to be a 2-guard. The same can be said about Mintz. However, especially when Clarke returns, we have plenty of people who can play the off-guard, but no true point guard. Askew or Mintz will have to fill the void.

--------------------
Tiptree

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-17-2021 07:55 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip I agree with most of the ratings above, we are watching the same team. This post wants to know "What would work". What would work is if this team could shoot a whole lot better. When you have trouble averaging 70 points a game it doesn't matter how good the rest of your game is. If this team could get their average points per game over 70 we might have a chance to win more. It's probably a little late for this team to get a whole lot better tis year. If we win out we can only win 18 games. We know we're not going to do that so I think the best we will be able to finish with is a 50-50 record. I hope most of these guys return to prove they can play better than they have shown this year.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-18-2021 11:43 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One thing we might do is work harder on defense and slow down the oppositions point production which also helps our offense making points on fast break baskets.

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-18-2021 01:43 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The defense plays pretty good until the second half when we get behind and they just lay down on the job of defending.
GA Cat
Administrator
Member # 642

posted 01-18-2021 04:02 PM      Profile for GA Cat   Email GA Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trey Ball:
C If I were Allen I would transfer to Alabama of Auburn. Kid would put up 20 plus per game in either of those offenses.

If I were Allen, I would transfer to Gonzaga. They play the perfect style to fit his game.

--------------------
Born Blue, Always Blue
Kentucky Blue, that is...

Posts: 2229 | From: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-19-2021 07:04 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Allen could have taken some shots if the passes to him were good passes. By the time he picked the ball up from his feet or gathered it from behind him or over his head, he was no longer open. Passers need to get the ball to him in a position where he can catch and shoot.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-19-2021 01:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FUNDAMENTALS!!!!
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-23-2021 09:11 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We know that every year is normally a rebuilding/reloading year at UK. This years team is a good recruiting class. The problem is that that two or three will still enter the draft. That is the entire problem with this program. A team like we have this year with some additions next year and maybe a holdover or two from the prior year and we're looking at teams like Pitino used to build. But now college stats mean absolutely nothing.

Do you all realize Nerlens Noel never scored 20 points in a single college game? A 6'11", 5-star rated stud couldn't score 20 in a college game, yet he gets drafted in the lottery and goes to the NBA where he fails to have even a slight showing of offensive skill. In 376 career NBA games, Nerlens Noel has scored 20+ points 6 times. And he rejected an $80million contract a few years ago and had to settle for a $4million contract when his bluff was called.

It's just amazing how kids can have a ho-hum college career and still enter the NBA draft and most of the times get drafted.

Posts: 10322 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com