TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal still sees a path to the NCAA Tournament

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal still sees a path to the NCAA Tournament
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-16-2021 07:44 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Your University of Kentucky Wildcats dropped to 4-8 on the season and 3-2 in conference play with today’s loss at Auburn, a second straight loss after the three-game SEC win streak. Unfamiliar territory for the program, the Cats’ NCAA Tournament hopes are spiraling in mid-January with a pretty empty tournament resume for the committee to review, and no consideration in any of the current Bracketology projections.

Calipari, however, still has hope for March Madness despite only one Quadrant 1 on his team’s record. He was asked following the new loss if his team still has time to peak and earn an NCAA invite, to which he replied, “We still have our chances. We can go on a run and we’ll be fine.”

The optimism is admirable.

Later in the press conference, Larry Vaught asked if there will be a point when he has to accept he doesn’t have a good offensive team, and again, Cal said he isn’t giving up.

“I’ll never stop tweaking and trying and try to figure something out that clicks in their minds, but in all this they gotta feel this, that we gotta make extra passes, that we gotta play for each other,” he replied. “If there’s not space, we’re not good enough to just go run by people, so you can open the court all you want. If the guy can’t get by somebody to make that basket, that’s not who we are. But if we create space, if we create assists—we should be averaging 18 assists on our baskets, maybe more. We’re not.

“At some point it’s going to click,” he continued, again showing that optimism. “We’re one of those teams that’s trying to figure it out–you can’t just ride one or two guys. And I’ll be honest with you, it may be game to game… OK, then it’s game to game, who’s getting more looks, who’s making more shots.”

So to recap, they’re still figuring things out and can go on a run and be fine.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bluebird
Player
Member # 954

posted 01-16-2021 07:59 PM      Profile for Bluebird     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They will have to win the SEC Tournament, I don't see any other way.
Posts: 128 | From: Maysville, KY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-16-2021 08:16 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What exactly is going to click? Instead of motivational team talk, why not teach them plays that can lead to some success? Why not go with a rotation of your best TEAM, not who is supposed to be NBA material? I'm so tired of hearing his talk.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-16-2021 08:47 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When asked why the two best players from the first half (Allen and Toppin) didn't start the second half, Cal said "I don't want to break anybody's heart".

Cal seems to have bought into some sort of liberal mumbo-jumbo BS. Coaches make decisions based upon how to win, not out of concern for player's feelings.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-16-2021 10:20 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That's the big problem. The losses are his fault, not the players. He talks about winning but he doesn't show it by his moves. I think the players should be made to kneel at the beginning and end of every home game. Let them decide everything and we will probably start winning every game.
Posts: 14173 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
EnterpriseCat
Player
Member # 2881

posted 01-17-2021 08:04 AM      Profile for EnterpriseCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
His recruiting pitch has always been that playing time must be “earned.” Boston hasn’t earned any playing time and it’s obvious to everyone that Cal continues to play him anyway. He’s lost more than games this year. He’s lost credibility.

--------------------
Romans 8:38-39

JD4U

Posts: 2307 | From: Enterprise, AL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-17-2021 09:01 AM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What abut Toppin and Allen's heart, you know, the guys that are playing their hearts out? He's ridiculous and I am done with him.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 01-17-2021 10:14 AM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm 100% done with cal, it's time for him to go.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9799 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-17-2021 11:29 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In Cal's defense, I think the fact that there are not many fans in the stands is a bigger problem for UK than other teams. These kids can get pumped up by the home team, or even get energized by the hate of fans on the road. When you are mainly young, athletic players, that energy is crucial. I think it would worth about 10 points a game for these kids at home, and 4-5 points on the road. That would have changed some outcomes for sure.

The reason veteran teams thrive is that they are less reliant upon (or more immune to) fan noise. They just execute. Our guys are not there yet. So, I think this team is especially crippled by the COVID restrictions.

The combination of a class that just isn't as good as previous classes and the absence of the throbbing, ear-splitting noise from the stands makes for much of what we see. Throw in Cal's mysterious starters and substitution patterns, and you have a recipe for catastrophe.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com