TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK Team Took a Knee. Some in the State Were Taken Aback.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK Team Took a Knee. Some in the State Were Taken Aback.
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-12-2021 12:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A decision by Kentucky men’s basketball players and their coach, John Calipari, to kneel during the national anthem before a game over the weekend has set off a backlash in the conservative state, which voted, 62 percent to 36 percent, for President Trump in the November general election.

The Kentucky players said they discussed their decision to kneel with Calipari before Saturday’s game at Florida. The gesture, an increasingly common statement of support for social justice measures by athletes, was inspired in part by the mob attack on the U.S. Capitol last week in Washington, the players said, and so when Calipari summoned several of them to ask what they had planned, they asked him and the rest of the coaches to join them.

While last week’s events in Washington had been the spark for the discussion of kneeling, players said, they also had other issues in mind.

“It’s a lot of stuff that goes on every day that we knelt for,” Kentucky forward Keion Brooks said. “The Capitol, that stuff, had a part to play in it, but there are some other things we don’t see that go on every day that are unacceptable, that we want to take a stand against.”

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-12-2021 12:40 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
When the BLM was rioting, looting, and causing loss of property and loss of life, these kids and coach Cal supported it by posting a video on how they "feel".

When patriots entered US Capital and killed no one, looted nothing, and destroyed nobody's livelihood, they protest it by kneeling during the national anthem.

The double-standard is painful. I am livid at Cal for not being the adult and trying to educate these kids, and for the university for its unfailing support for left-wing causes.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
blue hoot
Player
Member # 398

posted 01-12-2021 02:47 PM      Profile for blue hoot     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:

The double-standard is painful. I am livid at Cal for not being the adult and trying to educate these kids, and for the university for its unfailing support for left-wing causes.

I agree but you wonder if Cal was pressured or told by Dr. Capilouto or Mitch Barnhart to do this.
Posts: 1495 | From: Wimauma, FL | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 01-12-2021 03:55 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think so ... I think he wants players in the future. I am sure all coaches are having to walk a thin line and what it will do or not do for recruiting in the future. I just wish everyone would stop with the protesting (at games and so forth), if we do it at our jobs we can and probably will be fired for it !!! Protest on your own time !!!

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com