TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Sarr, Jackson on Cats decision to kneel during anthem

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sarr, Jackson on Cats decision to kneel during anthem
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-11-2021 01:36 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sarr, On what he would say to the fans that were upset the team kneeled during the anthem…

“We understood that our gesture would have consequences and we just want people to understand. We know some people would be mad or pissed but we just want people to understand that it’s a peaceful way to protest and the way we can, using our platform and we just want people to understand to raise awareness and that’s it.”

On what the team was protesting against…

“I think our actions speak for itself. What happened in the past few days, few weeks and even during quarantine, we just want to show support for our community and raise awareness on the things that happened lately. It comes from a place of understanding peaceful [protest] and having conversations and being open-minded. That’s it.”

On whether or not the team expected a negative reaction from fans…

“We didn’t talk about it. Obviously we knew that people would react a certain way but as always, you always do something, you always have some people that are pleased and some people that aren’t. We just made our decision as a team and most importantly, everything was okay with it and that’s something that we wanted to do and unfortunately some people are not happy with it. Like I said, we just want the best for everybody. We want peace and we want to understand everybody.”

Jackson, On the most disturbing thing he’s seen in the past few days…

“I’m not going to lie. I actually deleted social media. I just re-downloaded it because yesterday was my birthday and I wanted to post a picture but I haven’t really been feeding into the comments and stuff but what everybody’s been saying is there’s been some good and some bad comments. We’re just trying to make a peaceful protest and trying to get through to everybody that we need equality just like everybody else. This is a great country but we feel like everybody, like minorities and stuff, don’t have equal rights as everybody else, so that’s what we’re protesting. That’s why we kneeled. That’s what a peaceful protest is.”

On the disturbing things he saw at the Capitol riots…

“It was a couple of things. I saw a noose. I felt like that was just out of pocket. That’s just something people shouldn’t do. I feel like people have their own opinion, but I just feel that’s out of pocket. And them just breaking in [to the Capitol] is just crazy to me.”

On whether or not this will be a distraction…

“I feel like we’re just going to block out the news. We’ve been on a three-game winning streak and hopefully we can just keep it going. We’ve been playing perfect the last couple of games, I feel like. We’re just on a run right now so we’re going to keep it going.”

Link

[ 01-11-2021, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 01-11-2021 03:42 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, we see the divide clearly now.

One one side, people who revere the flag and all it stands for.

One the other, people who see the flag as a symbol of whatever they think they are protesting against.

These kids have no idea how privileged they are, and how much better off they are as people of African descent living in the United States than they would be anywhere else in this world, especially Africa itself.

Their "explanation" did nothing to mute my anger.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-11-2021 07:13 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's sad. The youth of today, for the most part, have no idea what they are really upset about, or protesting. They just see clips on the news, or posts by athletes/celebrities, and they run with that. They don't take the time to really look at the facts. Why wasn't anyone kneeling to protest all the violence this summer, and all the looting of hard working peoples businesses. The stuff that went on at the capitol certainly was wrong, but I didn't see anyones businesses getting destroyed, or any "protesters" running out with tv's etc. This country has fallen a long way, and I fear we haven't hit rock bottom yet. Just really sad.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jarcat
Player
Member # 95

posted 01-11-2021 07:57 PM      Profile for Jarcat   Email Jarcat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You mean those "peaceful" protests in Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc?

--------------------
The truth is out there

Posts: 3014 | From: Lexington, KY | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 01-11-2021 09:23 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yea! Even Louisville. It's fine to show protest but not at a college sporting event. They should have waited until they got to the NBA where they could care less what you do. These kids are being given a free education and a chance to get better at a game they can make a living at some day. I guess it's too late to stop the brain washing. The reason they give is not good enough to satisfy me. I would say if they do it again at home they may get booed off the floor. At least that would be my first reaction. If they have the right to disregard what every veteran has done then we have the right to disregard what they are doing on the floor.
Posts: 14174 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com