TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal says UK cannot replace what Allen brings to the team

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal says UK cannot replace what Allen brings to the team
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 01-07-2021 01:03 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe Dontaie Allen did break down a “ton defensively” as Kentucky coach John Calipari said after Tuesday’s 77-74 win over Vanderbilt. But Allen also did one other thing that Kentucky has been missing — he made shots and scored.

In the last two games, he’s played 64 minutes and scored 37 points, grabbed 10 rebounds, blocked two shots and made just one turnover. Against Vanderbilt, he was 4-for-10 from the field (2-for-5 on 3’s) and 4-for-4 at the foul line to get his 14 points. He had five rebounds and one block. The previous game against Mississippi State, Allen was 8-for-14 from the field (7-for-11 from 3) and had 23 points, five rebounds and one block.

“He made baskets and free throws when we needed it, but he may have given up as many as he scored. And I told him, I said, ‘Look, if that’s the case and it’s even-steven, I’m probably good with you,'” Calipari said he told Allen after the game.

“But I’m telling you, he deserves to be on that court and you know what he does to the defense? He spreads out the defense. I ran a play for him, banged a three. Right to the top. Boom. That may have been out of a timeout.”

Yes he does deserve to be on the court even if he took Calipari seven games to realize it or took Allen seven games to do what his coach wanted to see to get on the court. Either way, the bottom line is UK was 1-6 when Allen played 20 minutes in seven games and 2-0 the last two games when Allen has had a chance to play significant minutes.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 01-07-2021 07:15 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Are you kidding me. It just kills Cal to have everyone see he made a big mistake not playing Allen this season. His defense is not great, but he didn't give up as many points as he scored. That annoys me from Cal. Just compliment the kid instead of publicly saying "oh but he gave up as many points as he scored on defense." That's ridiculous.
Posts: 5441 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 01-07-2021 11:16 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Allen is no worse defensively than any other guard we have. Talking about his defense is just absurd. Cal was hoping Boston was better than he is and thought he'd eventually turn it around. That's why it took 8 games for Allen to see the floor. Allen is the reason we're not 1-9 with an 8-game losing streak.
Posts: 10348 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 01-07-2021 11:35 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulCat:
Allen is no worse defensively than any other guard we have. Talking about his defense is just absurd. Cal was hoping Boston was better than he is and thought he'd eventually turn it around. That's why it took 8 games for Allen to see the floor. Allen is the reason we're not 1-9 with an 8-game losing streak.

PC,

I think Allen needs to be on the floor for UK to win because you have to the put the ball in the basket to win, but I'm not sure that I have seen a worse defensive performance from a player in the last 25 years. I think Allen gave up 30 of Vandy's 74 points. It was bad, but Allen was able to put up 14 points and probably accounted for another 14 to 18 points for UK by being on the floor as well. Allen had just as much to do with Mintz' winning shot as Askew/Toppin/Mintz did because Vandy thought the play was going to Allen, which made it easy to set the back screen and make the pass.

But man he was bad on defense.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com