TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » coach cal

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: coach cal
country cat
Player
Member # 1774

posted 12-28-2020 01:26 PM      Profile for country cat   Email country cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
i think this team might just retire him --i wish for just one time he would put the fans first and getting draft picks and the n b a second

--------------------
american by birth-----wildcat by choice --- if you not the lead cat---your view never changes

Posts: 1023 | From: breathitt co-----lost in eldorado | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-28-2020 03:46 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I doubt it will retire him, but this season might "retrain" him. Surely he gets as tired as we do of the constant parade of kids in and out in one year. It worked for a while, but it MUST be clear to him that veteran teams are just better in the end than a team of talented freshmen.

For example, I would HATE to face Wisconsin this year. Five senior starters, and their sixth man is also a senior. They would eat our lunch, just like they did to Louisville.

All I would ask is that Cal stop encouraging his players to go. He claims it is all about the players, but honestly, there is a lot of his ego in it too. He LOVES to be sitting there watching the NBA draft, getting the interviews, and bragging about "his" NBA players. He needs to be more honest with his players, and encourage those who will end up in the D-league or facing a low (or no) draft pick to stay. Develop them for another year, or even two. Develop them both as players and as men.

Sometimes (most of the time) that requires more than one year. It does for every other profession, and every other sport. Do your job, Coach. Tell those kids to stay.

[ 12-28-2020, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-28-2020 03:54 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One final thought. Cal is hell-bent on making his legacy based upon NBA players. But, in my opinion, the NBA is a dying league.

Politically, it has offended many of its fans with its support for BLM, politicized slogans on jerseys, its cozy attitude towards China, and the disdain many players have for fans. Imagine an top-flight NFL quarterback with the same attitude and outspoken political views as Lebron James. It just doesn't happen. The NBA has chosen a path that will render it irrelevant. And then where will Cal's legacy be?

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-28-2020 03:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He is doing exactly what he came here to do. And that is to get the best kids and make them into nba players so they can get the green. He wins and the kids win....... But the fans lose. Only 1 championship in 11 years. Shame on you.
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukman
Player
Member # 3032

posted 12-28-2020 08:30 PM      Profile for ukman        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with everything said. Cal is all about the NBA. I believe he genuinely cares for his players, and wants the best for them; which includes making their dreams happen. His former players always seem very loyal to him which is important to me as a coach. I just wish he would focus more on winning championships, along with what is best for each individual. I believe too many kids see UK as simply a 1 year stop on the way to playing professionally somewhere. He may need to be more honest with some of these kids and tell them if he sees then genuinely as a 2-4 year player, and then a chance to play professionally. I would like to see us go the way of a Villanova or, Gonzaga, etc. Have a few pros on your team every year, but have a good mix of returning players with some high rated recruits. I know it's easier said than done with this generation of athletes, but it can be done. And I think Cal is smart enough to figure out how to do it.
Posts: 5440 | From: georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com