TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Schedule

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Schedule
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-27-2020 10:30 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You have to play games you can win to build confidence. This was the stupidest schedule I’ve ever put together, and I’d like to smack myself in the mouth. Listen – we should’ve played games up front that we had a chance to win. Four, five of them, then play four or five of the others. Not eight hard games, and we still have Texas left, who’s like tenth in the country.
There's nothing wrong with the schedule. It's a schedule UK should be playing. We're just supposed to win a lot of them. Calipari just doesn't get it. His quote is "Kentucky is not for everyone". He really needs to think about that. Maybe Mitch should send him home for a little break.

I'm glad our schedule is not filled with teams like Sisters of the Poor or Bob's College. I'm getting tired of those schedules.

<link>

[ 12-27-2020, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: PaulCat ]

Posts: 10346 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-27-2020 03:38 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not this year, PC. Usually, all of the players get to campus and get to know one another in the summer, and throughout the fall. There is teambuilding, pick-up games, team volunteer activities in the community, and some years, a trip to a pre-season tournament. This team got none of that.

Keep in mind that we have five guys who have never played together. That is what "cupcake" games are for... to allow them to figure each other out without getting crushed. NOBODY on the floor has ever played for Cal before. Almost none of them have never played against elite college competition. Even our two transfer veterans were never in leadership roles before. Theses guys don't know each other, and up to now, it is clear they didn't trust each other.

I am finally seeing some positive changes. Cal sent a strong message about attitude with the Fletcher affair. Camp Cal is starting to fix the 'strangeness' factor and addressing some glaring fundamental weaknesses. We may never be invited to the Big Dance, but I still maintain that we will be one of the better teams in the nation by the end of the season.

Askew is playing a LOT better. Mintz is providing "leadership by example". I love his toughness and willingness to dive to the floor for loose balls. Ware and Toppin had surprisingly good games.

Give it time.

[ 12-27-2020, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13628 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-28-2020 07:40 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I understand what you're saying, but this season is lost. We'd have to win out the regular season to get to 20-6. That just ain't gonna happen. Odds are we'll need to win the SEC tournament to get to 20 wins and a berth in the NCAA Tournament. And that's being very hopeful.
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-28-2020 10:32 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If this had been a regular season we would have already played about 4 other games early in the season against those learning type teams and probably won all 4 of them so we would have 5 wins and probably a couple more of these losses would have been wins for a 7-4 record. Not great by Cal standards but a lot better than 1-6.
These new guards haven't learned how to play inside out yet because they didn't play much of that in high school. It was gimme the ball and watch me.

Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-28-2020 03:39 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A 20-win season is not in the cards, for sure. But this is a shortened season, so an 18-win season (and finishing strong) will get us in the Big Dance. Our seed will suck, for sure, but we could at least have a shot at playing up the ranks to a good finish.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-28-2020 04:00 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
That is a good thought but i'm chasing the wagon.
Posts: 14170 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 12-28-2020 04:01 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Maybe this is my blue goggles talking, but I think the selection committee will do everything in its power to keep UK out of the dance. Just give them a reason. Any reason.
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-28-2020 06:44 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barnhardt is on the selection committee. I think we have a good shot. [Wink]

--------------------
Tiptree

Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-28-2020 10:30 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They only way this UK team will get in the Tournament is by winning the SEC Tournament. They will be lucky to get to 8 regular season wins in a horrible SEC Conference.

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-28-2020 10:47 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The schedule has not been that difficult. Cal is just trying to deflect all attention away from the players.

Richmond is mediocre (they just lost to a 3-3 Hofstra team at home)
Georgia Tech sucks (Georgia State and Mercer have beaten them)
Notre Dame is below average at 3-4
UNC is mediocre and not ranked
Louisville is average as well.
Kansas is a solid club

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com