TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » What's Going On with our Offense?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's Going On with our Offense?
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-26-2020 03:28 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sarr is a huge mystery. An accomplished big man, who has proven he can score in a Power conference, has done nothing here.

I see two problems. One is with Sarr... he wants to hang out 17-20' away from the basket. While a big man should pop out and set some screens, most of the time Sarr needs to be on the block, bodying up against his man, pinning him on his hip, and then demanding the basketball. I have seen none of that the last 4-5 games.

The second is our guards. They never look inside. They just want to pass around the perimeter, or play a two-man game with a big when the big is too damn far from the bucket. We need to have our bigs (Jackson, Sarr, Ware, Toppin) posting up strong, deep in the paint. And our guards need to be looking to make timely entry passes. None of that is happening.

So, our team is just passing the ball until a not-terrible jump shot is open. That will not win us many ball games (well, DUH!). We are not a team of shooters.

Last point on offense -- we don't have many guards who have the handle and/or the skill to penetrate and score. I get so frustrated when our opponents slice to the basket. I thought that might be a strength this year, but only Mintz seems capable, and he is just average at it. Askew can score in transition, but in the half-court, he never looks to penetrate. Even when he gets the ball one-on-one deep, he brings it back out. And forget about Boston or especially Clarke driving and scoring. They are not strong with the ball at all.

One bright spot: Our turnovers were fewer. There were a couple or three times when we passed to a spot where nobody was, or made a pass to a cutting player who just wasn't looking for the ball. That is just unforgivable. But, overall, our passes are much better, and our turnovers less egregious.

[ 12-26-2020, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 12-26-2020 05:20 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Let's face it. Most of these kids were over rated coming out of high school. Cal likes to take the top kids but this year he was fooled. Not all the top kids pan out as one and dones in college. The law of averages appears to have caught up with Cal. I don't believe we will have a single first round draft pick out of this class, including Sarr, Jackson, Mint, Boston, Clarke, Askew or Ware. This may be a good omen for those who want kids to stick for more than 1 year. Or the omen could be a bad one if two or more of these kids get disallusioned and transfer. With the new rule of free transfers being able to play right away we could lose some of these kids.
Posts: 14165 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Bigcatdaddy
Player
Member # 21

posted 12-26-2020 05:26 PM      Profile for Bigcatdaddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip you said what I would have said. Only you said it more better.

--------------------
It's me, the cat.

Posts: 10236 | From: Macy, Ind. | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 12-26-2020 07:14 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama,

I will bet we get our share of NBA picks out of this class. For two reasons:

(1) Cal will right this ship eventually. I keep saying late January, if I can bear to watch that long.

(2) The NBA will draft on potential. And there is LOTS of potential on this squad. I just hope it actualizes before they are gone.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 12-28-2020 10:38 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tiptree:
Bama,

(2) The NBA will draft on potential. And there is LOTS of potential on this squad. I just hope it actualizes before they are gone.

I agree the NBA drafts on potential, but I don't see a lot of talent on this roster. Jackson is the only player with fringe 1st round talent. Sarr may get a look in the second round. I just don't see the NBA skill set there for Boston/Clarke/Askew/Ware. They all may put their names in but I don't think any of them would get drafted.

As far as the offense goes. UK has zero PG play and for the most part zero shooters on the floor. Mintz can hit uncontested threes, but his release is slow.

[ 12-28-2020, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Trey Ball ]

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com