TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » UK basketball releases BlM video

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK basketball releases BlM video
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-01-2020 11:19 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The University of Kentucky Men's Basketball team released a video on Monday evening asking the Big Blue Nation to join them in the Black Lives Matter movement.

"To our fans, the Big Blue Nation, we ask you to join with us," the video says. "You cheer us on the court, but we are asking you to support us off the court. Be a part of the change."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186355 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-01-2020 03:38 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
OK, this has gone too far.

It is completely inappropriate for a sports team to ask fans to support a political movement, especially on whose leaders describe themselves as "Marxists".

They can (and probably will) sport all the logos they want, raise their fists, take a knee during the National Anthem, or whatnot. But to expect fans to embrace their ideology is out of bounds.

[ 09-01-2020, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13590 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 09-01-2020 04:08 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Totally agree Tip.

MEL

Posts: 2789 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-01-2020 05:09 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geez! anybody agreeing with their movement is not paying attention. Same with Antifa!

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36264 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-01-2020 05:10 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Way, Way too far!

I’m very disappointed in our program.

More I think about it, the more respect I lose for this program.

[ 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-01-2020 05:17 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If they start that "kneeling during the National Anthem", Old Norm won't be watching. I haven't watched but one NFL game, and was at someone else's house, since they started that crap.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 09-01-2020 05:20 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am with you Norm... nfl can go paly in someones backyard as far as I am concerned. I haven't watched them for years !!! And I can say the same for the nba !!!

MEL

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 09-01-2020 05:34 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I know this is a knee jerk reaction, but makes me at least think about my basketball loyalty. Absolutely no place for this in college athletics. I’m more moderate than most on this board and this has me furious!

Anybody heard if any other programs are doing this or considering its?

[ 09-01-2020, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5377 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-01-2020 05:42 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wow! I just came on here to do a post about this subject but y'all beat me to it. My son just did a "Whatsup" video call from Italy and wanted to know if I had heard this news. Too busy to have seen it yet today. I am in line with everyone else here. I will not support a Marxist headed BLM. So if that is where they end up it will be a long cold winter for me without UK BB. I watched the video and so far it sounds like they want to call for peaceful means of getting equality. It looks like they are only calling on the local community, police and state cops to support them. I will not condone them doing anything out of the normal before or during games. The first time I see it they will be gone in this house. I spent nearly 25 years in the Air Force, and others here have also served in the military so they are barking up the wrong tree if they start any of the crap I've seen elsewhere with the NFL, MLB, NBA and the other pro sports.
Posts: 14111 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 09-01-2020 07:04 PM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your service, Bama. I retired when they tried to send me unaccompanied to Thule, Greenland or South Korea. We had 5 teenagers and an eight year old then, and I couldn't do that to my wife. I retired after 20 years and 28 days! I'm like you though. If they take a knee in front of the flag in "protest", I'm done.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

ProBlue
Player
Member # 2944

posted 09-01-2020 09:52 PM      Profile for ProBlue   Email ProBlue   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with you guys I will be done with UK sports and will also burn every piece of UK clothes,banners, caps etc that I have. This really PO me.

[ 09-05-2020, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: ProBlue ]

--------------------
ProBlue

Posts: 732 | From: Bristol,Tn. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
rlt4uk
Player
Member # 3194

posted 09-01-2020 10:52 PM      Profile for rlt4uk     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh how I wish politics would stay out of the college game. I hate to say this, but I believe coach Cal is behind this. How he can be a catholic and support the democratic views on abortion is really unbelievable. He will do anything to get the top recruits.

--------------------
Bleeding Blue in south Alabama. Kentucky born, Kentucky bred,I'll be kentucky until i'm dead!

Posts: 9776 | From: enterprise, al 36330 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-02-2020 08:57 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yeah, football is just a few weeks away and this may be the excuse I'm looking for to retire my services to the Game Day work force. This could help me make my decision to quit, which is where my mind is although my heart still wants to do it.
Posts: 14111 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
SCWC
Player
Member # 2464

posted 09-02-2020 01:51 PM      Profile for SCWC     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari is behind this crap. I am a UK Alumni and have followed Kentucky basketball all my life but this is a little bit too much for me. I have never been a Calipari fan, feel he has done so little with so much talent over his tenure at UK and feel in my heart that he will never win another championship for Kentucky. I feel the same way about Stoops and the Football team, marching around Lexington wearing their BLM t shirts led by Stoops. This is not the UK I have known and loved all my life. I do not follow Pro sports at all except golf and now they are trying to destroy the amatuer game for us. I know two old time season ticket holders that have said they will not renew their tickets. I think they have probably destroyed the big blue nation sports wise with this video.

And wanting to change the name of Rupp arena, this is taking things a wee bit too far for my taste. I have not missed seeing a Ky basketball game either live or on TV in over 30 years but that will all come to an end this season. Thanks Cal.

When is enough enough. We have had affirmative action laws since the LBJ era with blacks getting preferential treatment in education, jobs etc. Enough is enough, goodbye UK sports.

[ 09-02-2020, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: SCWC ]

Posts: 17777 | From: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-02-2020 02:04 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Great to see you posting again, SCWC!

I agree -- Cal is so wrapped up in his players that he is no longer "the adult in the room". He and Stoops both should counsel players to express themselves privately if they must, but that their opinions do not represent UK sports in general.

However, with Cal releasing this video, and Stoops leading the BLM parade, all that is out. UK athletics is now endorsing BLM. By extension, UK is endorsing BLM.

I am very saddened by this. I was upset with the NFL first, and then the NBA, for taking such political stances. But college sports have now become politicized.

I am a fan of Cal as a coach, but it has long been clear that while he pretends to be a moderate, he leans pretty far left. This confirms it. I wish he had left his politics to his personal life. Now, we fans are forced to make a very, very painful decision because Cal and Stoops have shoved their BLM endorsements in our face.

[ 09-02-2020, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-03-2020 11:42 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
It is completely inappropriate for a sports team to ask fans to support a political movement, especially on whose leaders describe themselves as "Marxists".

It's not a political movement but a social movement that has become politicized, pick your poison as to why and how.

Every protest is the result of, at the very least, perceived police misconduct or vigilante justice.

I'm just as fed up with this BLM stuff as anybody on here because it has gone beyond it's original intent.

You're entitled to and can justify your contempt for Cal and Stoops any way you want, they're adults, but who are also listening to the concerns of the many young black athletes that make up the vast majority of their rosters.

I will never abandon my cats over politics. I would wager that you could ask any of these kids what a Marxist is and would be surprised if you got one correct answer. Ask them how many have seen someone (tv or otherwise) gunned down for no apparent justifiable reason and I would be surprised if any had not.

I'm no supporter of BLM my any means, but I do believe in social justice and accountability, regardless of who you are.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-03-2020 02:27 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're entitled to and can justify your contempt for Cal and Stoops any way you want, they're adults, but who are also listening to the concerns of the many young black athletes that make up the vast majority of their rosters.
And THAT is my complaint. Instead of leading, instructing, teaching, these two coaches are being led, instructed, and taught by 18-21 year-olds with little perspective and even less wisdom. The coaches are abandoning their role as trusted advisor and trying to be "friends' with the players. Bad, bad idea.

quote:
I will never abandon my cats over politics.
I will not abandon them, but I will let my opinions be heard. I am drafting a letter to the UK Athletics Association expressing my dismay. It will do little good -- that ship has sailed. But I am also changing my plans to attend games in Lexington this year (should that be possible), and I am sorry I bought NCAA Final Four tickets.

quote:
I would wager that you could ask any of these kids what a Marxist is and would be surprised if you got one correct answer. Ask them how many have seen someone (tv or otherwise) gunned down for no apparent justifiable reason and I would be surprised if any had not.
I agree. These kids have no idea about the nature of BLM. And they have been fed a steady diet of distortions (i.e., "lies") about the number of instances of police brutality against blacks. This is where the coaches should be the adults in the room and provide better information than they have now.

quote:
I'm no supporter of BLM my any means, but I do believe in social justice and accountability, regardless of who you are.
"Social justice" is just justice. Just like "hate crimes" are just crimes. The totally superfluous and unnecessary adjectives imply that some justice is "higher" than other justice, or that one murder is worse than another. This is just fueling the fault lines dividing our culture. We have one set of laws that should be blind to who committed them, or why. But now, some crimes are propelled into our national consciousness with the highest urgency (police brutality! White supremacy!), while others (black-on-black homicides, massively disproportionate crime rates among blacks) are never mentioned.

[ 09-03-2020, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Tiptree ]

--------------------
Tiptree

MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 09-03-2020 03:33 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here is a question for you ...

If a pregnant lady is shot and killed how can they call it a double murder ???
It is legal to kill (aborttion) an unborn baby because some say it isn't alive till it is born. You can't have it both ways. But many of our laws do this as well as other things that contradict itself. If I am a lwayer I sue the district attorney for charging it as a double murder (there is no way they can have it both ways). Of course I think it should be a double murder as I believe the baby is alive with conception but the law disagrees.

MEL

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-04-2020 07:18 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
And THAT is my complaint. Instead of leading, instructing, teaching, these two coaches are being led, instructed, and taught by 18-21 year-olds with little perspective and even less wisdom. The coaches are abandoning their role as trusted advisor and trying to be "friends' with the players. Bad, bad idea.

You're conflating listening with submission, kinda like confusing ugly with stupid. One thing for sure, if you're the only one in the room talking then you're the only one in the room not learning anything.

quote:
and I am sorry I bought NCAA Final Four tickets.
You will be able to easily unburden yourself with a handsome profit should a final four occur, whether Ky participates or not.

quote:
These kids have no idea about the nature of BLM. And they have been fed a steady diet of distortions (i.e., "lies") about the number of instances of police brutality against blacks. This is where the coaches should be the adults in the room and provide better information than they have now.
"What you're seeing and reading is not what's happening"...Donald Trump. Really?

quote:
"Social justice" is just justice. Just like "hate crimes" are just crimes.
I have a tendency to look differently at someone who blew some scumbag away for brutally raping his child than someone who blew someone away because he didn't like the way they parted their hair, but that's just me.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-04-2020 11:00 AM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
You're conflating listening with submission, kinda like confusing ugly with stupid. One thing for sure, if you're the only one in the room talking then you're the only one in the room not learning anything.
Not at all. The only reason I conflate ugly with stupid is that I am both. [Smile] Cal has been saying all along that he is 'listening'. But again, that is letting the young men with little perspective and even fewer facts take the lead. There seems to be no dialog in that conversation. We don't send our kids to the university to lecture the professors; we send them to learn from professors. There certainly can, and is, dialog. And professors learn from their students (at least in some subjects... I don't think I taught my physics professors anything about physics). But by and large, the purpose of education is to educate the youth, not the other way around.

Cal has fallen in the same situation we see on the national scale -- one cannot use facts to refute the current narrative about "systemic racism" and "white privilege" -- that just get you screamed at until you submit. There is no debate, only loudly stated but unsubstantiated claims. And only one side is allowed to speak.

I greatly mourn the loss of tolerance and free speech in this country. I also greatly mourn the loss of the rule of law.

quote:
"What you're seeing and reading is not what's happening"...Donald Trump. Really?
Actually, what we are seeing IS happening, but we are told that it is merely "peaceful protests" as buildings are vandalized, businesses torched, and looters scurry away in the background with stolen goods. Many people have lost everything to those thugs, um "protesters". It is hilarious to watch the video clips of CNN idiots as they try to soothe viewers about the noble, peaceful (but "fiery") protests as they stand in front of a blazing inferno and thugs running rampant in the streets.

So, tell me, MM... Do YOU support the BLM violence that is engulfing our cities? Do YOU support the democratic position that tacitly encourages this violence? It sure seems so.

quote:
I have a tendency to look differently at someone who blew some scumbag away for brutally raping his child than someone who blew someone away because he didn't like the way they parted their hair, but that's just me.
In the eyes of the law, the only difference between murders is whether it was pre-meditated (1st degree), done "in the heat of the moment" (2nd degree), or unintentional (manslaughter). The judge is usually given leeway in sentencing to differentiate between the different contexts which you cite, but that is already a slippery slope. But in my mind, all crimes are "hate crimes". If you loved someone, you would not commit crime against them.

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-04-2020 02:03 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tip:
quote:
The only reason I conflate ugly with stupid is that I am both. [Smile]
I don't know what you look like so I can't be a witness to how pretty you are, but your mental acuity is not in question, my friend. It's probably a toss up between you and hc for top spot. [Smile]

quote:
Actually, what we are seeing IS happening, but we are told that it is merely "peaceful protests" as buildings are vandalized, businesses torched, and looters scurry away in the background with stolen goods. Many people have lost everything to those thugs, um "protesters". It is hilarious to watch the video clips of CNN idiots as they try to soothe viewers about the noble, peaceful (but "fiery") protests as they stand in front of a blazing inferno and thugs running rampant in the streets.
Something else CNN shows is a caravan of pickup trucks loaded with Trump supporters ramming through crowds of protesters spraying them with pepper spray and paint balls, and a 17 year-old wannabe-cop vigilante brandishing an assault rifle walk right by several cops moments after killing two people and seriously injuring another. I guess he felt emboldened since earlier he was given water and thanked for his support by these same officers.

quote:
So, tell me, MM... Do YOU support the BLM violence that is engulfing our cities?
I do not, nor, as stated above, do I support the "stirring up" of this violence.

quote:
Do YOU support the democratic position that tacitly encourages this violence? It sure seems so.
What democrats are you talking about? Who in particular are you referring to?

quote:
In the eyes of the law, the only difference between murders is whether it was pre-meditated (1st degree), done "in the heat of the moment" (2nd degree), or unintentional (manslaughter). The judge is usually given leeway in sentencing to differentiate between the different contexts which you cite, but that is already a slippery slope. But in my mind, all crimes are "hate crimes". If you loved someone, you would not commit crime against them.
In my eyes extenuating circumstances should override the "eyes of the law" in some instances.

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-04-2020 06:08 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is what I am talking about. Instead of the carefully selected bits CNN shows, watch the full video. That 17 year old "vigilante' was out cleaning up BLM graffiti and picking up debris from the riots. Rationally, he took a firearm, since the place is FULL OF RIOTING THUGS. Oh, sorry. Full of "peaceful protesters". He was attacked by three of "peaceful protesters". So he shot them.

Do you think he should have just taken a knee, raised a fist, and submitted to the beating instead of defending himself?

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-04-2020 07:00 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So, a 17 year old crosses state lines with an assault rifle he can't legally have to protect property he doesn't own...what could possibly go wrong?

As far as self defense? Well, I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the jury says since he has been charged with 2 counts of first degree homicide. If he acted in self defense then so be it (I couldn't find a video that definitively showed one way or the other...if you can point me to one I would appreciate it).

--------------------

Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 09-04-2020 11:03 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good night, MM.

We will never agree. And, like us writ large, our nation is fractured and will never come to an agreement either.

I don't think this will end well.

--------------------
Tiptree

MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-05-2020 04:04 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Up again and wide awake in the middle of the night...have to set the alarm clock to make sure mama takes her nausea meds every 6 hours or she gets really sick...can go back to sleep some nights and sometimes not...this is one of the nots.

We don't agree on most things, Tip, but we get along, and that is the difference between sensibly debating an issue and shouting insults and shooting one another.

Our country is at war with itself, and it seems to be getting worse by the day. I think you're right about it not ending well...I just hope it's not beyond repair.

[ 09-05-2020, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: MountainMafia ]

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com