TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Keion Brooks Jr. supports changing name of Rupp Arena

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keion Brooks Jr. supports changing name of Rupp Arena
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-28-2020 04:18 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky basketball standout Keion Brooks Jr. said he backs a push by Black faculty members in the school's African American and Africana Studies department to change the name of Rupp Arena. The group recently requested the change, saying Adolph Rupp's legacy is tied to a history of racism and discrimination.

Brooks, a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches Player Development Coalition, averaged 4.7 PPG last season. He said he's still gathering more information about Rupp but stated that he supports a name change.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-28-2020 04:52 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And what, other than the color of his skin, makes his opinion newsworthy? It is worth exactly as much as mine, which is about zero.

If you took a poll among African-Americans, the overwhelming majority of them would vote to change the name, just because they could.

Likewise, if you took a poll of UK faculty members, the overwhelming majority of them would vote to change the name, just because they bought into a narrative.

Neither group would bother to consult the facts. Right now, it is all about emotions.

I hope cooler heads prevail.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13600 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-28-2020 05:06 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think i’ve said this before. IMO, Rupp was no more or no less a racist than the vast majority of white men of his era. Rupp Arena was not named for him because of his accomplishments in race relations.

Leave the name alone. Rupp earned the honor because of his coaching ability.

If they change it maybe they should call it the “House of Tubby”. After all he was our only black coach. That makes about as much sense as taking Adolph’s name off of it.

Posts: 5383 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-28-2020 08:11 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Right on Handy except I think Tubby was a "very" good coach who also helped win us a National championship.

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-28-2020 09:43 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Catmandoo I agree Tubby was a very good coach and I liked him a lot.
Posts: 5383 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 09-04-2020 09:12 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
handy, Tubby was a very good coach and human being who treated all people, black or white the same. A class act in every sense of the word. I can honestly say he was my favorite UK coach both on and off the court and would bet he would not want Rupp arena name changed.

--------------------

Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 09-04-2020 09:24 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It shouldn't be left in the hands of a player who will only be here a short time and probably has not near the information about Rupp that I do, or any one else on this board. It should not be changed just because a minor group of people want to see anything happen to appease them.
Posts: 14132 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 09-05-2020 04:38 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Absolutely not! Leave Rupp and Rupp Arena out of this.

Rupp is a basketball legend who built our great basketball tradition and deserves to be honored for that accomplishment with his name on the Arena.

Like hc said, he was no more or less racist (probably much less, imo) than most others at the time. As far as racial slurs, nothing to be proud of certainly, but how many of us on this board can honestly say they're not guilty at one point in their life, at least in a private setting?

I'm getting pretty damn sick of this constant demand for immediate "reparations" for long past behaviors. Some I can understand, like the removal of statues and names of confederate traitors who fought on the side of slavery....Rupp was a basketball coach....and a damned great one at that.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com