TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Cal says white privilege has helped his life and career

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cal says white privilege has helped his life and career
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-27-2020 10:58 AM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Kentucky coach John Calipari said white privilege has helped him throughout his life and career.

In a wide-ranging Zoom news conference following the hiring of assistant Bruiser Flint, Calipari said his skin color has been an asset, despite a modest upbringing.

"I'm white-privileged, even though I grew up the way I grew up," Calipari, who was raised in a steel town in Pennsylvania, said Wednesday. "I was still white, which means I had an advantage. ... I had one pair of tennis shoes. But that didn't matter."

He said he has had conversations with his players about the current climate in the country and asked them to come up with responses that involve action. He said his players have all registered to vote and the program has helped some players with mail-in ballots.

"I ended [a recent team meeting] with, 'I want to know -- opinions, talks, speaking, showing -- what action can you take as a group to make a difference in maybe one person's life,'" he said. "What can we do that you can do together, or individually, that we can make a difference with people?"

Calipari has been vocal about issues that impact minority communities since George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis. In June, Calipari said his success was tied to "African American families trusting me with their child."

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186357 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 08-27-2020 03:19 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't want to get too political in the basketball forum, but Cal clearly leans hard left and naturally has bought into the current narrative.

I love him as a coach. But my political views are almost 100% different than his.

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13592 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com