TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Power conferences considering “bubble” college basketball season

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Power conferences considering “bubble” college basketball season
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-06-2020 03:23 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
With the NBA’s bubble down in Disney’s ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando working to near perfection, several power conferences are reportedly considering a similar move for the college basketball season.

According to college basketball insider Jon Rothstein, conferences have had early discussions about playing games in a “bubble” type setting.

“Several power conferences in college basketball have had preliminary discussions about holding games next season in a “bubble” type setting,” said Rothstein. “This is one of many potential options on the table, but one that gains traction with student athletes taking classes online.”

Following Rothstein’s report, Stadium’s Jeff Goodman noted that the two conferences in current discussions about a bubble are the Big East and Big Ten, also adding that it’s “just one of multiple options” on the table.

The NBA, NHL, and MLS are the three leagues currently utilizing a bubble for their respective seasons, while TBT (The Basketball Tournament) was the first league to finish a season and crown a champion with its own bubble last month. The MLS is Back championship is set for next Tuesday, which will give us our second bubble champion.

While leagues with bubbles have worked to near perfection, other team-oriented leagues – the MLB being the one with the most issues – have seen numerous outbreaks within teams.

Could a bubble be the answer for college basketball this season?

Link

[ 08-06-2020, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: catmandoo ]

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-06-2020 05:26 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe the chances of us seeing college basketball starting on time is slim to none regardless of what they do.

I believe the idea of college football for the remaining of the year is a pipe dream.

But then again, I was wrong once years ago.

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-06-2020 05:50 PM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc:
quote:
But then again, I was wrong once years ago
I’m surprised you brought that up again, hc, considering how depressed you get thinking about it.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-08-2020 07:57 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
HA! I tend to agree with HC. Right now I don't give college FB or BB much of a chance getting to play. The Bubble sounds like possibly the only option that seems feasable. But then again, what do I know. I made 2 mistakes soon after he made that mistake.

[ 08-08-2020, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Bama Cat ]

Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 08-08-2020 09:03 PM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bama, I learned my lesson after the one mistake. I never forgot to carry a rubber again.

[ 08-08-2020, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: handycat ]

Posts: 5407 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
MountainMafia
Player
Member # 2066

posted 08-09-2020 04:08 AM      Profile for MountainMafia     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I always carried one but hardly ever used it...carried one so long once it made a big ring in my billfold...lots of sleepless nights because of doing that.

--------------------
"It's amazing what you can accomplish when nobody cares who gets the credit"....Tubby Smith after winning 1998 National Title.

Posts: 4694 | From: Alabama | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 08-10-2020 09:12 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't know why they're even trying to play sports during this pandemic. Geezle Pete, it's not life or death. This pandemic will pass and life will get back to normal in the near future. Let these kids focus on their academics for one semester (yeah, right) and push sports back a bit.

I'm actually pretty happy that this pandemic showed me I don't need sports. I'm sure i'll watch the Bengals and some other NFL games, but if it wasn't for UK basketball I could completely do without sports.

Posts: 10347 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 08-10-2020 09:53 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have seen exactly one NFL game since those idiots started "taking a knee" during the National Anthem. I spent over twenty years of my life in the military, defending their "right" to do that, but I also have the right to not like it.

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36271 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 08-10-2020 12:47 PM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's not affecting me as much as I thought it would. I just don't have any time or interest to sit down and watch a pro sport with all their disrespect for what makes it possible for them to play and collect the millions they get paid.
As far as the college and high school sports, I'm looking for very few to actually play this fall and winter. I just don't think college football will resume until early 2021. At 80 years old I think my working at UK games has come to a halt, if not for them not letting me work with this coronavirus or me not wanting to stand for 6-7 hours during a football game. I really am disappointed because I just don't think UK BB will start in the fall either. Not getting to see how these new guys play and how we fare in the NCAA Tourney. Then there's the recruits for next year I'd like to live long enough to see. As you can tell I am very down about this whole virus situation and how it affects most of my involvement.

Posts: 14171 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com