TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Tom Payne doesn’t believe changing name of Rupp Arena is best way to help make change

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tom Payne doesn’t believe changing name of Rupp Arena is best way to help make change
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 08-03-2020 03:20 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Despite his troubles after leaving UK and the current movement to remove Adolph Rupp’s name from the arena where Kentucky plays basketball, tom Payne said he’s proud he went to UK and was the first African-American player to play at Kentucky.

“I don’t have a lot of bad things to say. Did I go through a lot? Yeah I did but life is about overcoming,” Payne said. “I can’t make excuses about who I am as a person and not be accountable for what I have done and then not be forgiving. For me it is hard to get involved in something just because everybody else is saying. I am not just going to jump on the bandwagon for anything.

“If you remove a name from a university what is that really going to do? It is going to hurt a lot of people. It is there, entrenched there. Coach Rupp is still in the history of this country. Whether you like or don’t like him, he is a mythical figure. Just look at that before you begin to act. Look at his humanity, his family. When you tear down somebody, look at the legacy he left and the people behind him.”

Payne doesn’t deny race relations can and should be better and is currently working to help young African-American men deal with those issues and more in Michigan where he lives. He also thinks those like the African-American professors at UK calling for removing the name Rupp Arena should have reached out to him since he played for Rupp.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com