TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » Faculty wants Rupp name removed.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Faculty wants Rupp name removed.
Trey Ball
Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-23-2020 06:55 PM      Profile for Trey Ball   Email Trey Ball   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Oh boy. Will someone speak up and tell the real story about Adolph Rupp or will they just go with the lie that has been perpetuated for years. I think I already know the answer.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29525237/some-kentucky-faculty-want-name-arena-named-former-basketball-coach-adolph-rupp-changed

--------------------
Wife's Mad. Told me we never talk anymore. And just last nite while watching super bowl told her 2 or 3 times to get me a coke and popcorn. Also told her not to forget to take out trash in the morning. Ain't that something. Also told me I was too indecisive. Can't figure out what to do about that. One nice thing I guess. She called me a pro crastinator. Don't know what a crastinator is but I guess I'm a good one for her to call me a pro. Gonna wait til tomorrow to look that up though. I love her but somrtimes can't help but thinking I should have told uncle Junior to keep his coon hound pup and stevens double barrel and also his youngest daughter.

redbone

Posts: 11568 | From: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Tiptree
Administrator
Member # 844

posted 07-23-2020 07:52 PM      Profile for Tiptree   Email Tiptree   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
They probably watched that damn movie. No hope of derailing this one.

Logic? No.

Facts? Hell no.

Emotion? ALWAYS!

--------------------
Tiptree

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.” Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 13624 | From: Terre Haute, IN | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 07-24-2020 07:37 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dick Gabriel did a really good article about Rupp that Darrell Byrd forwarded yesterday.

My current computer isn't very good for transferring articles but it was posted in the Northern Kentucky Tribune.

[ 07-24-2020, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: m hamilton ]

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 07-24-2020 07:41 AM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If one of you other guys can find the article and post it on here for the other guys it would really be appreciated!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123987 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
Old Norm
Administrator
Member # 1482

posted 07-24-2020 10:02 AM      Profile for Old Norm   Email Old Norm   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I finally found it by going to the paper's website, then doing a search there for 'Dick Gabriel'. Now let's see if I can post the link:

web page

There it is, and it does work on my laptop. Great article!

[ 07-24-2020, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Old Norm ]

--------------------
Pray For Our Country!

Posts: 36270 | From: Western KY | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
clydeh
Player
Member # 7

posted 07-24-2020 03:01 PM      Profile for clydeh   Email clydeh   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My father-in-law was a high school basketball coach during the Rupp era. He was around Rupp many times in meetings and conferences. My father-in-law coached all white teams because there were no blacks living in his county.
However, he said that Rupp was so focused on winning that he would recruit anybody if he thought they would help him win.

Posts: 845 | From: Cullman, AL, USA | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-24-2020 03:40 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Correct me if i'm wrong, but UK doesn't own Rupp Arena. This is like people asking the University of Cincinnati to rename Great American Ball Park or Paul Brown stadium.

On a side note, they removed Marge Schott's name from the Boy's Club near my mom's house in Covington. While they're at it they should repay her family ever damn penny that she gave to that organization. But those hypocrites won't dare do that!

Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-24-2020 07:08 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
UK will cave like all the rest! Cal will certainly say change it - a corporate sponsor will then move in and the arena owners will say they needed the money due to the virus etc etc. Done deal imo

Thank you Norm for linking the web page - very good article but never let the facts get in the way of an agenda!!

[ 07-24-2020, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

Posts: 8771 | From: Inverness, FL | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 07-25-2020 10:29 AM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Cal will keep his mouth shut on this topic. No way a current UK coach with half a brain would go against the Rupp name.
Posts: 10345 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-25-2020 11:04 AM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul I bet a dol to a donut, cal weights in to change it. He is all for it as his recruiting will suffer and he won't let that happen. Being a old white coach without black players automatically makes u a racist in today's world.

[ 07-25-2020, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: ukcatfannfl ]

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

handycat
Player
Member # 2323

posted 07-25-2020 11:48 AM      Profile for handycat   Email handycat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There were not many old white men in that era who weren’t racist to some extent. I seriously doubt Adolph was any better or worse than the general population of the time.

Cal is a liberal and will do what he thinks is best for the program. In today’s climate it’s probably the politically correct thing to do, My money is on a name change.

I won’t like it but it won’t change my loyalty to the program either way.

Posts: 5403 | From: decatur ill. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 07-25-2020 12:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Like Handy says Me too...

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 07-25-2020 01:04 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hc... it doesn't make me one bit of difference other than the pc part !!! I am with the people that don't bend over for the pc stuff !!!
I have no idea if Rupp was a racist or not but I am not for people caving in to other peoples ideas that never met or knew him. They are only going off what others say and I have seen both sides of what people say about him (good and bad).
I think it is past time we stood up to all this "I want it my way" and if you don't agree with me you are wrong or a racist crap that is going on.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
ukcatfannfl
Player
Member # 1425

posted 07-25-2020 03:29 PM      Profile for ukcatfannfl   Email ukcatfannfl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Mel you can bet ur bottom dollar that UK/Arena owners will cave and Cal will put the nail in. Rupp Arena will be something like Wildcat 3M arena!

--------------------
ukcatfannfl

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com