TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» TheCatsDomain.Com Message Boards   » Wildcat Sports Talk   » UK / NCAA Basketball   » A New Cal-NBA Coaching Rumor Has Surfaced

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A New Cal-NBA Coaching Rumor Has Surfaced
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-11-2020 01:17 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Last year, John Calipari agreed to a “lifetime” contract with the Kentucky Wildcats. Even though he hasn’t expressed any desire to leave one of the best programs in the history of college hoops, there are always a few rumors about him making the jump to the NBA.

Calipari didn’t have that much success in the NBA, winning 72 games in just a little over two years. It wasn’t until he went to Memphis where he really took off as an elite coach.

While there is no indication that Calipari wants to go back to the pros, Marc Berman of the New York Post doesn’t think people should rule that possibility out. After all, Coach Cal has a strong connection with Leon Rose, the new president of the Knicks.

Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown spoke to the New York Post about the chances of Calipari leaving for the Knicks. Simply put it, he doesn’t see it happening.

Link

--------------------
http://www.ukfightsong.com/

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bama Cat
Player
Member # 153

posted 06-12-2020 11:38 AM      Profile for Bama Cat   Email Bama Cat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just a waste of wood pulp!
Posts: 14162 | From: berea, ky, usa | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-12-2020 02:50 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Never say never.

That was the tone of what Marc Berman of the New York Post wrote about the idea of Kentucky head coach John Calipari leaving college basketball for another crack at the NBA, and possibly a turn at running the Knicks.

The John Calipari to Knicks theories abound.

Some league sources have suggested never to count out Calipari when Leon Rose, the new Knicks president, and William Wesley, unofficial team advisor, are involved.

Larry Brown, a long-time Calipari confidant explained why he doesn’t see it happening.

“I think he’s so happy where he is,” Brown said. “He’s done such a great job and [is] so beloved there and he’s helping kids. Those things mean something to him. I know he’s been asked before to coach in the NBA a number of times. He hasn’t given it a second thought because of how comfortable he is where he is.

“He has a chance to win the national championship every year because of the type of players he’s allowed to recruit. I can’t imagine him leaving. I really can’t. You read his name because of his relationship to Leon and relationship to Wes but we’ve never once talked about him going to the Knicks. But I do know how competitive he is. He didn’t like not succeeding in New Jersey.”

Perhaps that competitiveness leads to real rumors around the Knicks job this summer. Early on, ex-Knicks assistant and Bulls and Timberwolves head coach Tom Thibodeau is the early favorite for the gig.

Link

--------------------

Posts: 186359 | From: st. augustine florida 32092 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 06-12-2020 07:12 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Calipari's exact word are, "The only job I was ever fired from was the NBA"!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
MEL
Player
Member # 141

posted 06-12-2020 07:23 PM      Profile for MEL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Click bait reporting.
k has put his name out there numerous times and got a raise for it [Frown]
BTW … I am not saying Coach C is doing that just stating that some coaches have over the years.

MEL

Posts: 2795 | From: Greeley, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
m hamilton
Player
Member # 127

posted 06-13-2020 05:50 PM      Profile for m hamilton   Email m hamilton   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal has said before that he'd do his job for less than they pay him now! Might just be coach speak but it would be a pretty sweet job!

--------------------
The potus is planning 1st major tax hike since '93 in next economic package!
I still can't believe some people believed that LIAR!!!

Your whole life is determined(by) 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you handle it!!!

Posts: 123985 | From: vevay, IN USA | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-16-2020 01:28 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doubt very seriously if Cal would take a pay decrease from UK.

--------------------

PaulCat
Player
Member # 513

posted 06-16-2020 04:11 PM      Profile for PaulCat     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cal's coaching style is not made for the NBA, same as Pitino. And they both know it. Now as for Tubby, I think he would've been a pretty good NBA coach.
Posts: 10343 | From: Erlanger, Ky. USA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
catmandoo
Player
Member # 1284

posted 06-16-2020 08:25 PM      Profile for catmandoo   Email catmandoo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Paul, I agree with you, Tubby would have done well as a NBA coach.

--------------------

All times are ET  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | TheCatsDomain.Com | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1999-2004, TheCatsDomain.Com